• Latest reply 1 year ago by IN-DEEP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DOLLY PROJECT (8) (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

I found this tool in a Captain Fantastic machine. Does anyone know what the heck it is? Is it for electric or some kind of spring adjuster? The spring worked to open not close I think. Any suggestions or guesses welcome. Thanks Jim P.S. It is aluminum or white metal so not strong but no rust.

#2 1 year ago

Hmmm. Your post doesn’t match the title and there’s no picture.

Quoted from IN-DEEP:

I found this tool in a Captain Fantastic machine. Does anyone know what the heck it is? Is it for electric or some kind of spring adjuster? The spring worked to open not close I think. Any suggestions or guesses welcome. Thanks Jim P.S. It is aluminum or white metal so not strong but no rust.

#3 1 year ago

I am having trouble with my pop bumpers firing at the same time.I have replaced the diods on the switches . Didnt help.

DOLLY PROJECT (8) (resized).JPGDOLLY PROJECT (8) (resized).JPG
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from IN-DEEP:

I am having trouble with my pop bumpers firing at the same time.I have replaced the diods on the switches . Didnt help.[quoted image]

Always or occasionally?

If occasionally, check to make sure the switches aren’t gapped too close.

If always, also check that, and check the wiring to make sure they were hooked up correctly. The switch matrix diagram and manual with wire colors will help.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks, I will check the switches gap and wiring.

#6 1 year ago

Make sure the capacitors on those switches are good.........

#7 1 year ago

I have a cap tester but I have never used it. I am just going to change them. Thanks

#8 1 year ago

Thanks for the help greatly appreciated. I changed the caps and diodes on all three and checked the gap on the switches.Still happening. Seems that the bottom bumper when hit it fires itself and the left bumper. Thanks again.

#9 1 year ago

They’re all in the same column of the switch matrix. Try checking all switches and wires in that column to see if you have a short to ground. Perhaps a wire or component touching a lamp socket, or something along those lines.

Also, did you check all wiring on the switches for those bumpers?

#10 1 year ago

NOKORO I did check the wiring. I did a playfield swap (CPR) so a wire touching something is a definite possibility. I am going to give everything a good look. Thanks

#11 1 year ago

I have now replaced the mpu and the sol driver board and checked the wiring also replaced some diodes and some caps. The problem occurs almost all the time but just between two of the bumpers. Enjoy labor day and thanks for the help.

#12 1 year ago

It may just be that the bumper switches are set too tight, and one bumper firing triggers the other bumper switch.

#13 1 year ago

can you post some clear pics of the 3 pop bumper switches stating which ones fire at the same time and which one doesn't.

it may be the way the switch blades are configured?

#14 1 year ago

Run solenoid test. Make sure each coil fires only one at a time and make sure they fire in the order shown in the manual. If any fire out of order or more than one fires at a time, rebuild the female connector J4 on both CPU and SDB boards.

If all fire in order one at a time, you likely have a switch matrix issue. Remove ball and test every switch in the columns and rows affected. Make sure correct switch shows on display and no single switch triggers more than one switch. All test good? Put a ball in the saucer and test the switches again. Sometimes it takes another switch to be closed for the symptom to show. Lastly, check the gap on the flipper EOS switches. Early Bally's can act up with gap too small.

#15 1 year ago

Thanks everyone. I replaced the switch on the bumper that fires when it is not supposed to. Now I need time to play it and test the solenoids.Thanks again

#16 1 year ago

I did the solenoid test and two of them fire at the same time. I am going to rebuild the connectors and see what happens. Thanks

#17 1 year ago

I repined the connectors both j4 on mpu and sdb.Then checked eos switches. Still firing but not all the time. I will test the switches tomm. Thanks

#18 1 year ago

I tested the switches using the coin door test button no stuck switches. All switches display when fired manually. I placed the ball in the top saucer all seem to test good. Still looking.

#19 1 year ago

I separated the power leads from the signal leads just cause. As expected not a power induced problem.Thanks everyone for your help. I am still looking.

3 weeks later
#20 1 year ago

I do believe the problem has been solved. Thanks everyone I may never have gotten to this point without your help.

#21 1 year ago

Dolly Parton has some of the nicest pop bumpers in all of pinball...

I know i'm contributing nothing here but making myself giggle... sorry... the adults can continue the conversation now...

: )e

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from IN-DEEP:

I do believe the problem has been solved. Thanks everyone I may never have gotten to this point without your help.

Please post the resolution. It will help others.

#23 1 year ago

Hello,the resolution may have been the pin connectors, but after changing all switches, pop bumper coils, all diodes and capacitors, separating the power leads from the signal leads replacing mpu sdb and rectifier board the problem seemed to get a little better each time.The left pop bumper still fires with the bottom bumper in test mode some times. It made me crazy or at least more crazy than I've always been. Thanks again

#24 1 year ago

The owner of the machine picked up today and was happy with the way it looked and played. So another pin saved from the junk yard . Thanks to your help and all the suppliers of parts and repro products. Thanks again it has been a great learning experience for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 199.95
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-dolly-parton-pop-bumpers-firing-simultaneously and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.