Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FD48040C-C531-436E-AB0D-3AE85B1C60F2 (resized).jpeg
261781426_273826991377384_8030794892615757357_n (resized).jpg
261432744_3059848000950276_2759071754844874306_n (resized).jpg
890B3823-9C14-4974-A588-FAE80632500A (resized).jpeg
dixieland start (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello all, I had this bingo up and working a year ago. Was playing for the first time in a long while when it went into tilt, for no reason.
I have the manual but no schematics, so I've been shooting from the hip trying to figure this out.
Checked and triple checked the kumbackey switches, all good.
Out of frustration I cut loose the 3 tilts; plumb bob, coin door, bottom of cabinet all the way up front under the shooter. I found all are tilts, not slams, so all were N.O.
After cutting the 3 tilts, it still powers up in tilt. Can't add credits with coin switch, can add manually but still won't come off tilt.
I manually engage the hold relay and then the anti-cheat and the tilt is gone, still can't add credits. Tired of messing with it. I like working on old em flipper pins but this darn thing is a nightmare.
Anyone have a quick easy way to just disable the tilt so it can be played? Thanks

#2 2 years ago

the tilt light also turns on when the anti-cheat relay is unpowered ... which it normally is when you first turn on the game.

if the tilt trip relay is not tripped, then none of the tilt switches are your issue.

try pushing the anti-cheat armature plate down on the coil top when the power is on. If it doesn't stay there, your 50V fuse is probably broken - possibly at a cap end where you can't see it.

schem can be downloaded from https://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/dixieland/resources/schem-dixieland.png

#3 2 years ago

Thanks baldtwit, the anti-cheat plate stays down when I push it.

I'll take a look at the schematics, not real good at it but I'll try.

#4 2 years ago

Out of curiosity, is the tilt trip relay tripped? If the tilt light is on then either the anti-cheat relay is disengaged or the tilt relay is tripped. If the 50v fuse is good…..are you sure that the coin switch is not stuck down?

#5 2 years ago

if the anti-cheat stays powered, your 50V is ok.

if credits used to come off the game at power on, do they still? If they did but don't any more, it's probably something in the red part of the below schem chunk.

your goal is to get the start relay to power. Things you can try:

1] manually close the multi-play relay. That should power the start relay and cycle the game

2] manually close the start relay and see what happens

if neither of the above work and the anti-cheat is unpowered, grab your voltmeter and stick one probe on wire 70 on any handy 50V coil or the 50V fuse. Put the other probe on the center blade of the SPDT (three blade) switch on the replay register. Got 50VAC? If not, something is wrong in the red circuit.

what should happen is you push down the coin switch and the multi-play relay powers (blue circuit). When you let go of the coin switch, the start relay powers (yellow circuit).

note if you hold down the coin switch too long, the tilt trip relay will trip.
dixieland start (resized).jpgdixieland start (resized).jpg

#6 2 years ago

29reo, can't locate the tilt trip relay, maybe not labeled? I checked coin switch with multimeter and it's not stuck. thanks

#7 2 years ago

baldtwit, yes, it used to always remove credits at power on. With game powered on, I manually pushed the multi-play and it locked in then nothing happens.
While the multi-play is engaged I push the start relay, nothing happens and doesn't lock in. No 50v on center blade of replay register from either side of the 50v fuse holder. Btw, I have manually put 6 credits on the replay register. Should I zero the register? thanks

#8 2 years ago

Find the Search Wiper Relay and push down on the armature and the Search Unit and Control Unit motors should run. Do they?

#9 2 years ago

just to verify, if it used to remove credits at power and but does not do it anymore, and based on nothing happening when you closed the start relay manually, CU cam 3A switch is not closed.

verify the CU timer cams are locked and check switch 3A (manual page 10).

the tilt trip relay is in the middle of the big bank on the back door. See manual page 22 for a diagram.

29reo test for motor operation is good. If the motors turn on and the timer cams rotate to locked position and stuff starts working, you have a problem with timer cams index switch A (manual page 10). Careful ... it's 120V.

#10 2 years ago

baldtwit;

ok, I have switch 3A on the CU making contact now. (it wasn't)

Now when I engage the start relay manually it locks on and everything starts working somewhat; it drops the balls from the shutter and loads a ball into the shooter lane. No credits on the game so I shoot all 5 balls then that's it. (Game is still in tilt)

So, I power cycle then manually engage the start relay. Same thing, balls drop and put a ball into the shooter lane, then I manually engage the anti-cheat relay and the tilt light goes out and it lets me manually add credits to the credit register. (won't let me add credits with coin door coin switch) I then push the play button on the coin door and play 4 cards. At end of game I press the C button to search for winners and it won't search, just hear a buzzing until I let up on the button.

the tilt trip relay is is nearly impossible to inspect let alone reach even with a flexstone. So, I'm still in tilt at power on. Thank you

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from 29REO:

Find the Search Wiper Relay and push down on the armature and the Search Unit and Control Unit motors should run. Do they?

29reo, yes. thanks

#12 2 years ago

Engage the Multi-Play relay and that should start the game normally.
Also, for good measure, clean the Jones plugs at the bottom of the head at the rear of the cabinet. These games are notorious for corrosion on the Jones plugs.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from 29REO:

Engage the Multi-Play relay and that should start the game normally.
Also, for good measure, clean the Jones plugs at the bottom of the head at the rear of the cabinet. These games are notorious for corrosion on the Jones plugs.

I tried that, still in tilt until I manually engage to anti-cheat relay. Then have to manually add credits through the credit register. Will let me play then at end of game won't let me search for wins. I then turn off the machine, power back up, still in tilt. Thanks

#14 2 years ago

Look at Baldtwit’s post #5 and follow the circuit he outlined. When the coin switch is tripped it energizes the Multi-Play relay which in turn energizes the Start relay which in turn will cause the Shutter motor to open and drop the balls from the playfield. Shutter cam #4, switch D will energize the Timer Cams Index relay. Switch A on the Timer Cams Index coil will start the Control Unit motor. The Timer Index Cams via cam #4 switch C will in turn pull in the Anti Cheat relay.

While this is happening, Shutter cam #3 switch C will cause the Trip Bank motor to reset the trip bank along with the tilt trip relay.
Verify that the trip bank is able to reset by grabbing the cam at the bottom of the bank and rotating it until its override kicks in and causes the motor to cycle. It’s the long vertical unit on the outside edge of the back door.
Pull, clean and reseat the connectors where the playfield connects to the back box.

FYI: The game will only be able to search for wins after all five balls have been plunged through the ball gate, so, if you plunge the first four and you happen to pick up ball five by hand and drop it in one of the holes without clearing the gate, the collect button won’t work.

Turning the game off and back on is supposed to disengage the Anti-Cheat relay, so the tilt light being on at power up is normal.

When you say, "At end of game I press the C button to search for winners and it won't search, just hear a buzzing until I let up on the button." Could you have someone else hold the button while you check to see what relay the buzzing is coming from? This will give us a better idea of what is or isn't happening.

#15 2 years ago

29reo covered everything I think except the anti-cheat relay not working unless you manually close it.

when the timer cams spin on the reset cycle, CU 5C pulses closed to power the anti-cheat, then a switch on the anti-cheat keeps the coil powered until the game is turned off.

since you had a CU 3 switch issue, may be worth rotating the timer cams by hand with game off and watching the switches to see if they are behaving correctly. You need to reach under the cams and pull the locking pin out of the notch so you can start rotating, and rotating backwards and back-n-forth a little is good for verifying switch overtravel (long blade deflecting a short blade visibly after the contacts touch)

#16 2 years ago

thanks guys, been following your advise and have things working pretty well except at the end of the game when I push the C button, it buzzes. The buzzing is the CU search wiper lock coil. It is working (releasing the search wiper) however the wiper won't turn unless I manually engage the search wiper relay.
So what I am doing is at the end of the game I go to the back box, manually disengage the CU search wiper lock coil (unlock) then manually engage the search wiper relay (which stays locked in) and it searches for a winning card and works normally from there on out. Thanks guys for any additional help

#17 2 years ago

Start a new game.

Plunge the first four balls then pick up the fifth ball from the shooter lane. Everything should be quiet. Trip the ball gate by hand and listen for a ‘click’. That click will be the B-5 trip relay. Drop ball five into a hole that gives you a three in a line win.

Now you are ready to search for / collect wins. Go to the back of the machine and reset the Timer Unit by pushing in the plunger of the upper coil. This should start the motors. Then quickly move to the front of the machine and press the ‘C’ button and see if the Search Wipers cycle.

#18 2 years ago

summary of what should happen:

1] B5 trip relay trips. If your motors are turning off, that should be working

2] top switch under the C button resets the timer unit and turns motors on. Doesn't work if B5 switch not closed.

3] other switch under C button powers the 1-2 search wiper lock relay to release the 1-2wipers. the 1-2 wipers release the 3-4 eventually, and the 3-4 release the 5-6.

4] when any search wiper is not locked, switch on stack operated by locking cam peg powers the search wiper relay, and a switch on the search wiper relay keeps the motors powered in case the timer stepped all the way up and stopped powering the motors.

if your c button is not resetting the timer unit, fix that first.

#19 2 years ago

Thanks for your help guys, So looks like all is working accept the C button still won't reset the timer unit. I can manually reset it then rush back to the front and press the C button and it will search.

I took the unit loose from the backdoor checked wiring, switches for adjustment and cleaned them.

B5 trips and those switches are good.

#20 2 years ago

Almost there. There are three switches in that circuit. The top switch on the ‘C’ button (White/Blue). Switch A on the back of the Timer Unit (Green / White). And switch D, the top switch on the tall stack of the B-5 Trip relay (White/Blue and Green/White). Check them for proper open/close function and clean them.

Before you do that however, I want you to look at the Jones plugs at the bottom of the head under the Control Unit.
Look at the 20 pin connector which is the second from the left. The wire you are interested in is on the left side / left row, third one up from the bottom (White/Blue). With the machine powered off, pull that (male) connector out. Looking at the female receptacle, place your thumbs on the tabs and push on them until you feel them move, bending them forward towards the front of the machine. Work you way up the connector until you bend all of the tabs forward. This will tighten up the connection. Also check for corrosion and clean if necessary. Reassemble and test the game. If this doesn’t work then you will have to go through the switches using a jumper wire.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from 29REO:

Almost there. There are three switches in that circuit. The top switch on the ‘C’ button (White/Blue). Switch A on the back of the Timer Unit (Green / White). And switch D, the top switch on the tall stack of the B-5 Trip relay (White/Blue and Green/White). Check them for proper open/close function and clean them.
Before you do that however, I want you to look at the Jones plugs at the bottom of the head under the Control Unit.
Look at the 20 pin connector which is the second from the left. The wire you are interested in is on the left side / left row, third one up from the bottom (White/Blue). With the machine powered off, pull that (male) connector out. Looking at the female receptacle, place your thumbs on the tabs and push on them until you feel them move, bending them forward towards the front of the machine. Work you way up the connector until you bend all of the tabs forward. This will tighten up the connection. Also check for corrosion and clean if necessary. Reassemble and test the game. If this doesn’t work then you will have to go through the switches using a jumper wire.

All done, all good. Still won't search for a win. Won't reset timer unit. Thanks for your help

#22 2 years ago

OK. Make a length of wire about 3 feet long with an alligator clip on one end (or both if you want). Take the alligator clip and clip it to the yellow wire ( Lug #10) on the transformer. Be careful with the loose end here. Start at the Timer reset coil and touch the coil tab with the loose end of your jumper where the green / white wire is attached. In any event, do not touch the orange wire on the opposite side. Unless that coil is bad it will energize. This will identify a good or bad coil. Now you have to work your way Back through each side of each switch touching one side then the other. Each dot in the circuit on the schematic represents one side of the switch blade. At some point you will find a switch that appears closed but the coil will energize from one switch blade but not the other - and that will be where your problem is. Follow the attached section of the schematic starting at the coil and working your way to the ‘C’ button. When working at the front of the machine you will either need a long jumper or you will need to pick up your 50 volts from the someplace like the tilt plumb bob, attaching your alligator clip to the Blue / Red wire. I hope all this makes sense.

Since the B-5 is somewhat inaccessible you can skip over it by taking your jumper to the spot on the 20 pin Jones plug, White / Blue wire on the left row third from the bottom. And as long as the switch on the B-5 trip is good, you can energize the Timer Reset coil from there. While you are there, touch the side of that connector as well to make sure that that connection is solid. Then proceed to the switch on the ‘C’ button.

21 = Blue / Red
52 = White /Blue
45 = Green / White
45-J Is The Wire To The Coil Lug
30 = Yellow
70 = Orange

890B3823-9C14-4974-A588-FAE80632500A (resized).jpeg890B3823-9C14-4974-A588-FAE80632500A (resized).jpeg

#23 2 years ago

Thanks 29reo it was a misaligned switch, just barely off and I've checked it before. Thanks also baldtwit for your help. Really appreciate you guys helping out on this dixieland.

261432744_3059848000950276_2759071754844874306_n (resized).jpg261432744_3059848000950276_2759071754844874306_n (resized).jpg
#24 2 years ago

Well I'm back at it again. Trying to figure out the lighting. Fuses are all good. The numbers on the cards light up as they should. When I start a game, "1st Card" light doesn't come on or any of the 6 card lights. Also none of the feature lights will light. See picture below of the game after I've added the max coins and finished a game. 11th coin, magic number, nothing. Game will play as usual just no lights. This has to be something simple, I just can't figure it out. Thanks for any help

261781426_273826991377384_8030794892615757357_n (resized).jpg261781426_273826991377384_8030794892615757357_n (resized).jpg
#25 2 years ago

There are three switches that complete that circuit. One on the Tilt trip relay, one on the Trip Bank carry over and one on the Anti Cheat relay. Start up a new game. Clip your jumper to the White / Blue wire at the 6 volt fuse on the transformer side. As always exercise caution. Strike the opposite side of the fuse to test the fuse holder. Then work your way through the circuit attached.
41 = Green / Red
51 = White Red
74 = Orange / Green
52 = White / Blue (At the fuse)

Touch 74 and then 41 on the Anti Cheat. This is likely where your problem is.
Then 51 and 71 on the Trip Bank carry Over. That will be at the bottom just above the motor I think.
Then if that fails then 41 and 51 on the tilt trip.

FD48040C-C531-436E-AB0D-3AE85B1C60F2 (resized).jpegFD48040C-C531-436E-AB0D-3AE85B1C60F2 (resized).jpeg

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from 29REO:

There are three switches that complete that circuit. One on the Tilt trip relay, one on the Trip Bank carry over and one on the Anti Cheat relay. Start up a new game. Clip your jumper to the White / Blue wire at the 6 volt fuse on the transformer side. As always exercise caution. Strike the opposite side of the fuse to test the fuse holder. Then work your way through the circuit attached.
41 = Green / Red
51 = White Red
74 = Orange / Green
52 = White / Blue (At the fuse)
Touch 74 and then 41 on the Anti Cheat. This is likely where your problem is.
Then 51 and 71 on the Trip Bank carry Over. That will be at the bottom just above the motor I think.
Then if that fails then 41 and 51 on the tilt trip.
[quoted image]

It was the trip bank carry over, thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.