2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Peruman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hello All

My son and I are working on a project Dixieland Bally zipper flipper

We had the game actually playing and scoring last night and now the 10amp 50v fuse blows as soon as we touch the left flipper button to have Gen Illumination

We noted it’s a red wire at the fuse

We found a schematic on IPDB and looks like it is the coil fuse at D4

Any suggestions where to look first or could a bad coil immediately blow this fuse

My son and I are willing to properly follow the diagrams and check sequences of game behavior but when we get an immediate fuse pop any guidance is greatly appreciated

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

A good first step would be to replace the fuse with a circuit breaker, so that you're not blowing through boxes of fuses trying to find the problem.
    Next, I'd unplug the Jones connectors; first, the one for the lightbox, then if it still blows the breaker, reinstall that connector, and unplug the one for the playfield. This will help you to isolate the area where the short is. You might have to manually trip the hold relay with certain parts disconnected, and be careful doing this as 50 volts can give you a decent sting.
    Also, look to see if there are any coils which are obviously shorted.
    They'll have a crispy look to them.

#3 2 years ago

I did built the fuse breakers and using them

Will use your advice about Isolating the cause

Appreciate you

#4 2 years ago

Okay quick update

So I have been working on this and now the game is just dead

Line fuse is good , no smoke or burning odor

10a breaker is in and not clicked

Other 2 fuses in holder are good

Where do I go from here no signs of life at this time

Any other hiding fuses ?

#5 2 years ago

What if you manually push in the hold relay?

#6 2 years ago

It was actually the line fuse holder was broken
    Replaced the holder

Game now lights up and the 10a fuse isn’t blowing

#7 2 years ago

James,

Glad you figured this out. Bally EM fuse holders are notorious for going bad. If you have not done so already, I would replace all of them for new ones.

Alberto

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-dixieland-50v-fuse-blows- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.