• Latest reply 6 years ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180118_172417 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a Mr/Mrs Pacman I have been working on. The player 3 display is showing "99" instead of "00" in single player mode, and "999999" when you do a 4-player multiplayer game. Here is what I have done so far:

Inspected J1 on the MPU and tested the pins for continuity back to the board. They were previously reflowed. Also checked for closed circuits between all of those pins. I also checked traces and rung P20-24 back to U20. The resistors and diodes between those two points check out okay as well.

The display itself looks to be in good shape, no cold joints on the connector, and nothing is burnt anywhere.

What would be my next step? Checking wiring continuity? Checking for a bad IC in U20?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Do all other digits display fine?

Does the problem stay if you swap displays?

#3 6 years ago

The other displays function fine. The machine is at another location, but I will try switching displays tomorrow when I go back.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The other displays function fine.

Digits, not displays. 0 displays 9. what do 1-9 display?

#5 6 years ago

With the machine off, switch the displays around to see if the problem is at the Player 3 or on the display

#6 6 years ago

Okay, well the problem followed the display... So I guess that narrows it down. Overall, the display looks to be in very good condition. Nothing burnt and no cold joints.

20180118_172417 (resized).jpg20180118_172417 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Digits, not displays. 0 displays 9. what do 1-9 display?

#8 6 years ago

The far right two digits are always "00" or "99", the rest of the positions are blank.

#9 6 years ago

I forgot that in game mode, the score reads all digits as "9", all the time.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I forgot that in game mode, the score reads all digits as "9", all the time.

What about in display test?

1 month later
#11 6 years ago

Forgot to follow up on this... The problem wound up being being the IC on the individual display itself. Resocketed and replaced the chip... All good now. Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-display-troubleshooting-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.