Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm troubleshooting my Bally Playboy displays, and I *think* part of my problem is loose wires in the plugs in the backbox that connect to the display boards. Looks like I need a punchdown tool, but I'm cutting my RJ45 punchdown tool (with cutter) is a bad idea.

From Searching here, I *think* the connector is a .156" plug, but I'm not sure which punchdown tool, I need exactly? Any Amazon links for the right now?

Thanks! *fingers crossed this is what my problem is!*

#2 3 years ago

I believe you can just use a small flat head and a little force. Power off.

Marco sells one as well.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-IDC156

#3 3 years ago

Yes, it would definitely be a .156" IDC punchdown tool. Pinball Life has it for a decent price:

https://www.pinballlife.com/0156-396mm-idc-wire-insertion-tool.html

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I *think* the connector is a .156" plug, but I'm not sure which punchdown tool, I need exactly?

Playboy display connectors are 0.156" crimp type, not punchdown type. I don't live in the US so I'll let others comment on best local source for crimp tools.

But it's not common for those female display connectors to play up - it's much more common for the solder joints on the male pin headers on the displays for those connectors to fracture/crack. Pull the displays out and carefully inspect the soldering on the connector pin headers first - resolder any bad joints.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Yes, it would definitely be a .156" IDC punchdown tool. Pinball Life has it for a decent price:
https://www.pinballlife.com/0156-396mm-idc-wire-insertion-tool.html

Much better price.

#6 3 years ago

If you do only a few connectors then the Mascon tool (MRT-156F) as pointed to by Ken is a good choice. Downside to the Mascon tool is the plastic bit. These wear down over time. One thing to consider about this tool is the manufacturer is now defunct. As supplies dry up, they won't be replaced - if you like this tool then don't wait too long. I haven't ever found any good alternatives to these at that cost point.
The Molex version has a metal bit which will last longer - 63813-3503. Downside to the Molex tool is a higher price.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Playboy display connectors are 0.156" crimp type, not punchdown type. I don't live in the US so I'll let others comment on best local source for crimp tools.
But it's not common for those female display connectors to play up - it's much more common for the solder joints on the male pin headers on the displays for those connectors to fracture/crack. Pull the displays out and carefully inspect the soldering on the connector pin headers first - resolder any bad joints.

The plugs on the Display boards are a idc type...

#8 3 years ago

Thanks everyone! Ordered the one form Pinball life. I've done enough network cabling to know using a screwdriver is a bad idea in the long run..

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I'd probably change those to crimp type but I have plenty of 20 pin blanks of that type (since you have to redo them all anyway.)

IDC has its place.... in network and phone cabling! I hate it for everything else.

#10 3 years ago

Those idc.conns are 40 years old. I replace those when doing a restore as they will continue to have problems.

Bally games of that vintage should be 100 % repinned. Eliminates lots of weird issues and gameplay is alot better.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Got pictures? I'm curious if they're factory or if someones just retrofitted them.
My Playboy's in the middle of the production run with crimp connectors. First game I've seen with IDC was Silverball Mania released a year and a bit later than Playboy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 199.95
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-display-plug-punchdown-tool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.