(Topic ID: 257461)

Bally display 140v zener (1n5275a substitution)?

By Drewscruis

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200520_194918 (resized).jpg
    20200519_142148 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Just curious if this would be a good sub for the original 1n5275a since it's obsolete. I know it has a higher wattage but this seem's like a potential sub

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/625-Z4KE140A-E3

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

Just curious if this would be a good sub for the original 1n5275a since it's obsolete...
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/625-Z4KE140A-E3

Yes, those Z4KE140A zeners are what I use.
    BTW, you can still get 1N5275B (tighter tolerance) but they are expensive.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Yes, those Z4KE140A zeners are what I use.
    BTW, you can still get 1N5275B (tighter tolerance) but they are expensive.

Yeah, I saw those. But I think the cheapest was $5 or $7. These were .36 cents each.

#4 4 years ago

Ed at GPE has some.
    $1 per.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 4 years ago

Yep, 1N5275B's are getting pretty pricey. The Z4KE140A will work but it's a bit bigger than the original (and can handle more power than the original).
    Full reel price looks pretty good.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

The Z4KE140A will work but it's a bit bigger than the original

Some of those original fitted 1N5275A are DO-7 package which is even larger.

#7 4 years ago

1n5382b is a 140v 5w zener in an even bigger package. MCC and probably some other brands produce it still. It fits on the replacement SDB i make, but not sure if the original bally/stern SDB drill holes are big enough.

5 months later
    #8 3 years ago

Figured I'd post a pic of the Z4KE140A installed on a driver board. No modifications were needed.

20200519_142148 (resized).jpg20200519_142148 (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago

I like that you've used red and black wires for the C23 electrolytic capacitor - that's what I always do.

BTW, what's the voltage rating on those two replacement green polyester capacitors at C27 and C28?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

I like that you've used red and black wires for the C23 electrolytic capacitor - that's what I always do.
    BTW, what's the voltage rating on those two replacement green polyester capacitors at C27 and C28?

The green dipped poly caps like that are usually only 100v rated based on xp.

Color does not probably mean much but the red ones are usually 400-630v and good to use here.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The green dipped poly caps like that are usually only 100v rated based on xp.

Yes, those look like 100V capacitors, the green poly caps rated at 400V and 630V are physically larger in size.
    The schematic calls for 500V rating.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

Figured I'd post a pic of the Z4KE140A installed on a driver board. No modifications were needed.

Good to know.
    Trying to locate a case of them now.
    Case now on order.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

This was a kit I got from big daddy enterprise, said they are supposed the be rated for 630v on th kit, but now I'm doubting that.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

630v on th kit, but now I'm doubting that.

They might be 630V, I just expected them to be bigger. What's the full code marked on them?

#15 3 years ago

What are the markings on the cap?
    All film caps that I have seen have the voltage rating marked on them.

Looking at the photo - the caps in the photo look to be about the same physical size as a Panasonic 0.01uF, 400V film cap (but rotated 90 degrees). Of course, that is just eyeballing it in the photo.
    Can't compare to a 630V cap - I don't have any in that capacitance/voltage range. Panasonic data sheet says the 630V cap would only be about 2mm longer - so that part could possibly be a 630V rated part.

#16 3 years ago

I'll have to look when I get home from work.

#17 3 years ago

Here is a pic from the other kit I have. Same part I have installed. It has H2J103J on it

20200520_194918 (resized).jpg20200520_194918 (resized).jpg
    #18 3 years ago

"2J" prefix = 630 volt rating
    "103" = 0.01uF
    "J" suffix = 5% tolerance.

So cap is fine.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

So cap is fine.

Great! all's good then

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-display-140v-zener-1n5275a-substitution?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.