8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by erico201
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erico201.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hey Guys! I just picked up a Bally Cybernaut yesterday in "non-working" condition. The overall condition of the machine is GREAT but unfortunately I'd rather play it then just stare at it's beauty!!

Here's the issue:
- Game boots up perfectly everytime. Flicker flash followed by ONE flash, 2 second pause and then 6 more flashes for a total of 7 flashes. As far as I know, this means everything on the MPU is working as it should.
- Game then goes into attract mode as it should and the insert lights flash as they should.
- I can add credits using the credit button (microswitch rigged to the coin return button) and that's all good.
- When I press the START button, the drop targets reset and then NOTHING?!!? The game locks up and no coils work and I can't enter the test screen. I have to power cycle it and then it will boot again. Yesterday I had it where it would kick a ball out and the upkicker would fire the ball out of the hole after plunging the ball but now nothing again?!?!

From what I can tell, 99% of the coils work fine in the coil test minus the right sling (even though it will work if i use a ball to activate the switch. Also, it seems that the previous owner may have been fiddling with the plumb bob tilt by attaching a wire to it so it would be inactive. I have removed that wire as I like leaving my tilts in place on my games.

I thought, at first, that it was in a constant state of "tilt" after seeing he was attempting to disable it. When the ball would kick into the shooter lane yesterday, the game acted very similar to what a game would do if tilted. Upkickers and slings would work but flippers were off, etc.

Anyways, I not desperate yet but instead of ripping what little hair I have left out, I figured I'd ask you brilliant Pinside folks!

Thanks a MILLION!
Eric

#3 8 years ago

Hey Collin!

Thanks for the reply! I'm really looking forward to getting this thing up and running...I've always steered towards the DMD games in the past and this will be the first of it's kind in my collection!

I will check the voltages on the driver board tonight and get back to you. Yes I can enter the test screen but couldn't decipher the codes until I found a manual (not a very detailed one, unfortunately) on ipdb. Now when I head out to the shop I will hopefully be able to see if any switches are stuck. As far as I can tell from the manual, it'll only display the first switch it detects closed until the problem is fixed. Then if there are others, it will display them one at a time until each is corrected. It may take a while if this guy did a bunch of monkeying around...

The manual didn't have a schematic either. Do you happen to know what the voltages are on the Driver board?

Thanks again for your help! It's very much appreciated!!
Eric

#6 8 years ago

Awesome Collin! I found all the info at pinwiki so I'll go out to the shop and check it out! You're the best!

Chucktee, I'm really looking forward to trying out this beauty of a Cybernaut! I'm 99% sure it's a -35 board in it but I'll double check. Was that the most common in that game? Seems like it was the transition game from old system to new system.

#10 8 years ago

Well the issue is FIXED! I checked all the voltages and they were all within acceptable tolerances (besides one leg of a bridge rectifier being a hair out of tolerance). I found what each switch number represented and a switch test showed #15 was closed. This is the tilt switch but there was nothing "stuck closed" on any of the four tilts. I saw the small capacitor attached from the cabinet mounted slam tilt to the plumb bob tilt and figured it may be shorted internally. I snipped a leg off it and the game plays like a champ!!

Thanks again guys for the help and advice!
Eric

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 199.95
$ 45.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erico201.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-cybernaut-locks-up-at-game-startup?tu=erico201 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.