Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sbmania
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello I’m super new to SS repair . My background is basically all EM. On a Bally Dolly , I’m having some issues tied to bad connectors . Outside of the obvious burnt connectors , I’m getting flickering/ out displays that seem to get better when jiggling the connectors etc. so I’m going to take my first crack and redoing the connectors . My question is , are there any kits you’d recommend that will contain everything I need for this project ? And also are there any videos you’d recommend as a tutorial ? Lastly should I replace original rectifier or just leave as is ? I have very very limited solder skills .

#2 3 years ago

Bally’s of this era are known for connector issues. Basically, you should repin all connectors, male and female.

Great Plains Electronics is a good source for pins and connectors.

Do a search on Pinside or Utube on crimping pins and replacing connectors on Bally circuit boards.

Just replacing all the boards with new ones will not take care of the problem - you will need to replace the pins in the connectors. Unless you send out the wiring harness, you will have to learn how to do this. It’s not hard if you have the right equipment - just tedious.

#3 3 years ago

For every Bally I have owned, I have rebuilt the power supply and re-pinned the connectors and plugs on at least the Solenoid Driver board and the MPU. The life of these pins is basically 25 times unplugged. I usually only do the light driver board if there are apparent problems. Do these things and they are basically bullet proof.

#4 3 years ago

With Bally SS games you need to learn how to solder.
95% are bad solder joints at the print headers on the boards.
Like you say about the displays.
Reflow the solder on the print header and they will most likely be fine.
The lamp driver and solenoid boards have the same kind of problems.
The power supply needs to be rebuild if you want a good solid power supply.

#5 3 years ago

1. Learn to solder.
2. Buy the proper tools: wire cutter, stripper, and Molex pin crimper. May also want to buy or make a tool to remove the old pins from the connector housing. You can reuse the old housings if they are not burned out or broken, although new ones are not that expensive and easier to just replace with new.

As others have said, it is tedious, but repining and reflowing old solder joints will fix 99% of your problems in the old SS games.

#7 3 years ago

reflowing the pins on the displays is often good enough to get them solid.

As you have limited solder skills I would probably only address the things that are having issues. I would find some old dead board to practice on.

#8 3 years ago

As others have said, don't mess with the molex connectors on the displays. They are almost never bad! Just reflow the solder pads on the displays on the back side of where the molex connector plugs in. If you look at the solder pads with a good light, you will likely see rings around several of the pins where the solder pad has broken. Usually at one end or the other. Two seconds with a solder iron and a bit of fresh solder and you will be as good as new for another 25 years!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-connectors-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.