Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by seanduffy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15871380484886791389558645837078 (resized).jpg
    1587137860869838336504336470458 (resized).jpg
    20200410_125012 (resized).jpg
    20200409_200323 (resized).jpg
    20200409_200333 (resized).jpg
    20200409_200511 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

Is your Congress a 1955 that scores regulation bowling?
    For sure a switch in the Score Motor is closed, and should be
    open once the Score Motor is in its run-out/resting position.
    I'm not sure if the switch is not adjusted properly, or maybe
    the Score Motor isn't making it to the home position.
    If your machine has multiple problems, most likely it's been
    put together, plucked in, then turned on. You'll want to go through
    the entire machine (all components), then turn it on and do the
    trouble shooting..

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from seanduffy:

The game was a fully functioning game last time I played it about 3 years ago. No one has messed with it during that time.

The thing is, no one has to mess with it. It's possible a machine can sit for 3
    yes and play okay, actually especially Ballys, but that is not always the case.
    These electrical mechanical games like to be played. They like to be excersized.
    I'm not sure if you're good with these machines, but it really needs it's components
    to be gone through. Even if there's more to it, one things for sure. There has to
    be a switch off the Score Motor's cam that is closed and it suppose to be open..
    Edit: btw, you don't want any coils stay on for any length of time. Don't want them
    to get hot. You might want to make sure the Score Motor is running properly.
    It could be as simple as the motor isn't making its full revolution because the run-out
    switch doesn't have good contact while it's on route to its home position (when the
    switch is suppose to open)..

#6 4 years ago

If it is the Score Motor's run-out switch, then it has to be loosing its contact exactly
    when the Frame Step Up Score Motor switch is exactly in it's notch or on its lobe on its
    cam. It could be, but most likely it is the Score Motor's switch that energizes the Frame
    Step Up itself. If you can make out the schematic, the #1 cam would be the one closest
    to the Score Motor..
    On the Director Unit not stepping up, it could be a few things, but you'll want to first check
    the switches on the Director Unit itself.
    If you want to do some investigating while the machine is fired up, you could put a small piece
    of paper between that Frame Unit's wiper blade and the wiper board to keep the coil from remaining
    energized. But unless there's bare wires touching (which I doubt), nothing can energize the
    Frame Unit's switch if the switch on the Score Motor's cam that energizes the Frame Step Up
    is open, which it normally should be.

#9 4 years ago

I don't have the schematic for your machine, but the only other thing you can check
    is the switches in the Start Relay, but chances are slim the problem would be there.
    If you look at the Frame Unit's step up circuitry in the schematics, I think you'll find
    the Player Up Reset Relay is one of the first to be in the circuitry near the Frame Step Up
    coil. Then near by, the Score Motor switch which suppose to be normally open, and then
    the circuitry breaks away in a couple directions, but if that score motor switch is open, it
    breaks the circuit to the Frame Unit. You'll see where it ties in the Frame Unit's wiper itself,
    but that's after the open switch on the score motor. Are you sure the solder tabs aren't
    touching, or any type of metal particles aren't causing problems?
    Are you able to locate the exact set of switches on the Score Motor that fires the Frame
    Unit's Step Up coil?

#12 4 years ago

Yes, Score Motor Pulse Switch #6. Not having a letter, must be the only set of switches
    in the stack. On your machine, the circuitry also takes another route where it avoids the
    #6 switch and goes to the Frame Units wiper board. I can't see where that circuit ends up going,
    but it looks like it's involved with the Frame Step Up coil only when the Frame Unit is in one of
    its position. I don't recognize that circuit. I'm not sure why it goes to the Frame Step Up coil, but
    it must have to do with the Trophy feature. Maybe worth checking out that circuit also.
    There is also a 3rd circuit route that it goes, but 3 different set of switches (and a couple of other things)
    need to be closed when they're N.O. (Normally Open) for that to be the problem..
    I actually thought Bally's first multiplayer shuffle that scored regulation was produced in 1957 (1956
    at the earliest), but yours is a 1955. When you get a chance, can you send a pic of the backglass?

#15 4 years ago

Yea, Congress looks just like Bally's ABC Shuffle. It scores regulation..
    Where the Player Step Up and Frame Step Up intersects is in the Player Reset Relay,
    but that open Score Motor switch 6 would break that circuit even if there was a problem in
    the Player reset relay.
    In the schematics, if you follow the Frame Step Up's circuitry straight up, there's a set
    of switches in the "Number Matched Relay". Those switches are N.O., but if they're closed,
    that would keep the Frame Unit Step Up energized, but unless all 3 make break switches in
    the Player Reset Relay is touching, that wouldn't be energizing the Player Step Up, but I'd check
    the switches in the Number Matched Relay and also make sure that Relay isn't staying energized.

#19 4 years ago

You took the switch out of the Start Relay?
    I'm not sure about the feature of the number match relay,
    but maybe disconnecting it's coil with so it's not energized
    is one thing to try. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the Number
    Match relay's circuitry..

#24 4 years ago

So it's the 0 - 9 Match Unit that's also staying energized? It does goes through the Frame Unit wiper board,
    but there's a couple of Score Motor switches that are NO (normally open) that should keep the 0 - 9 Unit from
    staying energized. I would put the wires back that you took off, and first concentrate on why the 0 - 9 Match\
    Step Up is staying energized.
    The schematic shows Score Motor switches 2B and 2C should normally be open which would keep the 0 - 9
    Step Up from staying energized.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-congress-bowler-not-scoring-?tu=Mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.