Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by eagle18
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3F7209EE-B256-4DE0-8D8C-6EB5C3DBE13C (resized).jpeg
    39413691-D8C9-4CCF-BCFB-C2EF001453AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5927 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8520 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8519 (resized).JPG
    DD08261D-B2F2-46AF-B64C-180688EFEDD4 (resized).jpeg
    6FABD1DF-D221-4EF0-8194-6C6F770EB83D (resized).jpeg
    BA152F0C-E954-44F7-9379-704C87A03BB7 (resized).jpeg
    ABDE3EF7-54B8-4F41-AFFA-353AEC3FDDA7 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Today while taking my MH coin door apart, I found a string wrapped around one side of the flap where it seats in the return. Has anybody ever seen this before? Is this how Bally got the flap to stay in back in the 70’s? Is this the secret to making a tough job easier? Check out the pics.

ABDE3EF7-54B8-4F41-AFFA-353AEC3FDDA7 (resized).jpegABDE3EF7-54B8-4F41-AFFA-353AEC3FDDA7 (resized).jpegBA152F0C-E954-44F7-9379-704C87A03BB7 (resized).jpegBA152F0C-E954-44F7-9379-704C87A03BB7 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

I wonder if it got stuck in there from someone trying the old drill a hole in a coin and tying a sting to it to get extra credits or their coin back ?

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

LTG probably nailed it. The coin return flap is held by the two slots in the coin return chute when it presses up against the coin door skin. Ironically I've never had an issue installing one with an OE coin door skin but after installing 6 repro Marco skins they will just fall out. The new skin leaves a slight gap that won't hold the coin return flap in place. Jury rigging with a paper clip can hold them but a royal PITA.

#4 3 years ago

Damn... people would do anything for some free pinball. Are the flaps u are installing with the Marco skins original Bally flaps that are slightly bent at the top or new, straight flaps?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

Damn... people would do anything for some free pinball. Are the flaps u are installing with the Marco skins original Bally flaps that are slightly bent at the top or new, straight flaps?

I've tried the OE flaps with the bend and the repro style. None fit.

#6 3 years ago

I remember reading in the HEP thread that he returned a lot of repro Bally coin door skins to Marcos because of sizing issues. That was a while ago.

#7 3 years ago

not sure if this helps, but i put a couple of small pieces of foam on the door skin, held in place with some double sided tape.

an earlier attempt was to put a twist on the end tags so as to not have them flat, making it harder to fall out, but then went with the above option.

#8 3 years ago

Is that string or wire? I found a switch wedged into the coin return and its still in there. Gonna have to break something to get it out,I think it was wired to the reset relay.

#9 3 years ago

I may be wrong, but I think the bent flap is to be mounted the other way around.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts/info. It’s definitely a piece of string. The flap on the door had always worked fine. Seems like nobody has seen string in one. Must have fallen through and manage to get caught around one of the end tags on the flap. I’m going back with a Marco skin as mine was dented. Sounds like it will be interesting to reinstall. Thinking about using either the paper clip method or the foam. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

#11 3 years ago

totally off topic, but back in 70's i'd get the round lead circular weight found inside the corners of curtains and flatten it out to the size of a 20 cent piece, drill a hole in it and tie a length of string to it to try and see if i could get credits up, used fishing line also, didn't work......the things you'd try as a kid.....the piece of string made me think of this.

#12 3 years ago

So... today was my first attempt to install a coin door flap with a brand new Bally skin. As u guys have said.. it’s a PITA. No it’s a Royal PITA. I tried for hours doing it with the paper clip. After many attempts it either kept falling out or when u opened it the door would stick open. I tried very small wire ties and also twisted together thin copper wires with no success. I said many a choice word during this process. So then I thought about Rickoshays comment about the foam. I couldn’t find any foam in the shop. I started thinking about the felt I had installed inside the cabinet so the playfield would hit softer when lifted. That has a strong adhesive backing on it. I cut a strip and installed it inside the skin and put it together. When I opened the door the flap stuck open. Too much felt. I pulled the felt out and went to the grinder and ground down the felt. I put the felt back on the skin and put it back together and ..success. It worked perfectly. I have probably pushed the door open 50 times since then and it still works great. From the time I thought about the idea until it worked took about 10 minutes and was so easy to do. This was a OEM Bally flap that was slanted at the top. I’ll be getting one from Cliffy soon for a different door and see if it works on that one. I’ve included a pic of the product and of the back of the skin.

6FABD1DF-D221-4EF0-8194-6C6F770EB83D (resized).jpeg6FABD1DF-D221-4EF0-8194-6C6F770EB83D (resized).jpegDD08261D-B2F2-46AF-B64C-180688EFEDD4 (resized).jpegDD08261D-B2F2-46AF-B64C-180688EFEDD4 (resized).jpeg
    #13 3 years ago

Glad you nailed it. All "royal PITA" include mandatory swear words. I'm trying your method on my next door shortly on my FG restoration.

Wouldn't it be nice if Marco tweaked the coin door so we don't go through this BS?

#14 3 years ago

Marco should add a piece of felt with every door. I’m thinking about calling them tomorrow. Let me know how yours works out.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

Marco should add a piece of felt with every door. I’m thinking about calling them tomorrow. Let me know how yours works out.

I think they need to make the repro coin door properly. 1st pic is a mint OE door, 2nd the Marco repro. While it's hard to photograph you can see the difference. Any flap would work in the OE door. And those pics are without the door fully assembled, without other parts like the lock assembly pulling the inner skin tighter.

When I buy a near $100 part I shouldn't have figure out ways to make it work properly. Obviously the center of the Marco door isn't indented enough to hold the coin return flap in place.

DSCN8519 (resized).JPGDSCN8519 (resized).JPGDSCN8520 (resized).JPGDSCN8520 (resized).JPG
    #16 3 years ago

Glad you got it sorted, I should have mentioned that the foam pieces I use go only where the cut outs for the flap line up with the door, which can take some time, but works.
    The foam I use is that stuff you put around door frames and windows to reduce noise and unwanted air.

Not a very good pic, but gives you an idea.

IMG_5927 (resized).JPGIMG_5927 (resized).JPG
    #17 3 years ago

I got my new flap from Cliffy’s. It’s bent at the top like OEM ones. It won’t stay in a new Marco door either without the felt. I cut smaller pieces this time. Remember the felt as it comes out of the package is too thick. Door sticks. I grind most of the felt off before sticking it on the inside of the skin. U can buy round felt pieces of the same material also. They should work fine. Adhesive is strong on this stuff and works great to keep the door where it will stay seated.

39413691-D8C9-4CCF-BCFB-C2EF001453AC (resized).jpeg39413691-D8C9-4CCF-BCFB-C2EF001453AC (resized).jpeg3F7209EE-B256-4DE0-8D8C-6EB5C3DBE13C (resized).jpeg3F7209EE-B256-4DE0-8D8C-6EB5C3DBE13C (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-coin-door-flap-?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.