#1 10 years ago

Is thera big defferance between a bally

N-21-650

and

N-26-1900

Both are target rest coils

#2 10 years ago

Yes. Real big.

650 is about 3 times stronger than your 1900.

21 or 26 is wire gauge, 650 or 1900 is number of turns.

The more turns the weaker the coil. Or the fewer turns the stronger the coil.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Thanks that helps out.

Can I ask this. If a coil works then it works? Can it work and be weak? And last can I test it it for weakness?

Thanks

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from smersh:

Can I ask this. If a coil works then it works? Can it work and be weak? And last can I test it it for weakness?

Generally a coil works or it doesn't.

I don't know any way to test if it's weak, other than if it is. In my life I've only seen one flipper coil that was weak. No worn parts, no binding, no stuck coil sleeve, nothing. Tried a different coil and that was it.

More likely there will be problems with worn parts, dirty stuff, or power loss with poor connections from board to coil.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

thanks LTG, Im trying to get the drop tagets to reset properly on my Captain Fantastic

3 months later
#6 10 years ago

I am having a reset problem with the targets as well. They sometimes do not come up at all, and sometimes only one or two targets come up, and sometimes they all do.

When none come up the machine keeps racking up points (and games once special is lit) until they pop up - then the point racking stops.

I am thinking that this is an issue with the coil not being able to "get the job done" after 37 years.

Can someone with more pinball knowledge than me (a beginner) give me some sage advice? Am I looking at the wrong part for the cause of my problem?

Thanks!
Mike

#7 10 years ago

Game name would be helpful. When targets are stuck down, the switch is registering a hit and racking up points. Now on to the root of the cause: Read LTG's comment above. Mechanical issues hindering the resetting of the drop targets: gunk, broken/binding parts, etc. Gotta figure how the mechanism work first, then determine what is causing the problem. It's all about sight and feel on mechanical issues. Good luck.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply!

Its a 1976 Bally Captain Fantastic.

I'll take a closer look at the drop-target mechanism. From what I have already seen it is quite dirty. I had been planning to replace the targets themselves - so maybe I'll do that and also clean other things as well.

If I clean the coil plunger, does it get lubricated with anything before I put it back? Or should I not mess with that?

Thanks!

#9 10 years ago

Verify the contact points on the relay that controls the drop target reset solenoid. If that is ok, check the contacts on the score motor switch that also controls this. Burnish the contacts and adjust as necessary. Use standard troubleshooting techniques if this does not work. You must have a broken wire or bad solder connection somewhere. Or, the connector between the playfield and insert board is dirty/ corroded/open/loose.

#10 10 years ago

Lubricate nothing! The nylon sleeves around the metal plunger do the "lubricating."

#11 10 years ago

Thanks! I'll do the work and then post the results. I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge - thanks!!

#12 10 years ago

Take the whole thing apart and clean it bit by bit.
All the parts!
These things need to be clean on every account.
No grease!!!! That is the biggest NO NO in pinball machines.
On very rare occasions (metal on metal) you need a drop of machine oil.
Even when you think it needs some grease, think twice and check if it REALY does need grease.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-coils-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.