1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coil_Diode_Test_FB.png
    Coil_Diode_Test_RB.png
    DSCN9563 (resized).JPG
    DSCN9562 (resized).JPG
    DSCN9561 (resized).JPG
    Testing-a-Diode-Using-Multimeter-Diode-Mode (resized).jpg
    DSCN9557 (resized).JPG
    #1 1 year ago

I prepped a bunch of Bally coils for PF swaps and they went thru an ultrasonic cleaner. The diode no longer has the band on them to tell which side gets power. Is there a way to determine that with a meter?

DSCN9557 (resized).JPGDSCN9557 (resized).JPG
    #2 1 year ago

You may need to lift one lead to test so might be easier to just replace the diodes

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes

Testing-a-Diode-Using-Multimeter-Diode-Mode (resized).jpgTesting-a-Diode-Using-Multimeter-Diode-Mode (resized).jpg
    #3 1 year ago

This might sound like an odd way to test it:
    Take the diode off one of the coils. Connect it in series with one of your unlabeled diode coils to the feature lamp voltage in the game.
    When your unlabeled diode coil is wired in the correct direction, each coil will measure half voltage (about 3 volts each).
    When your unlabeled diode coil is wired in the wrong direction, it will read 0.7 - 1.0 volts with the other coil having 5 volts or so.

BTW the coil wire in your picture is up against the metal frame. Bend the coil wire away from it so the plating doesn't wear off from vibration and short to the frame.

#4 1 year ago

When in doubt, replace the diode, since you already have the coil reconditioned. They are about 0.20 a piece. 1N4004 - 1N4007 are all OK.

At the same time, remove all excess solder and remains of old wiring from the coil lug, to make it look nice and new.

3 weeks later
    #5 1 year ago

Thanks Quench for the idea. I hooked a 9V battery up to an old coil which was banded. When wired with positive voltage to the banded side it read 5VDC (pic 1), incorrectly -5VDC (pic 2). Make it easy to test my unbanded coils (pic 3).

Thanks for everyone's input!

DSCN9561 (resized).JPGDSCN9561 (resized).JPGDSCN9562 (resized).JPGDSCN9562 (resized).JPGDSCN9563 (resized).JPGDSCN9563 (resized).JPG
    #6 1 year ago

Your measurements show that the diode is open (probably burnt out because if the alkaline battery gives quite much short circuit current).

When you connect the battery across diode so that banded side is negative, the diode acts as (almost) direct short and in theory you should see only 0.6-0.7V across it - before the diode burns out. You should use a series resistor at the battery, of about 100 ohms to prevent diode burning.

#7 1 year ago

I'm not sure you've tested it right - none of the readings show a diode conducting in the 0.6V - 0.7V range as Tuukka mentioned.

The below images show what I meant using the same coil model:

Coil_Diode_Test_FB.pngCoil_Diode_Test_FB.png
    Coil_Diode_Test_RB.pngCoil_Diode_Test_RB.png

#8 1 year ago

Yes, using another coil as series current limiter is OK. But a resistor or even a #44 light bulb would be just fine.

Depending on the resistor, you would expect to see 0.6-0.7V in other direction, and considerably more on the other.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

But a resistor or even a #44 light bulb would be just fine.

I tried a #44 light bulb in series with a 26-1200 coil before drawing those diagrams above - actually I could see a minor difference in light intensity depending if the coil diode is forward or reverse biased.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-coil-diode-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.