Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ron_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I started having this issue after it sitting for a long time and after replacing the rubber on my dead bumpers.

Hitting any of the rollovers down the left lane causes the bonus subtract coil to lock. I have to contact the wire alley roll over to get it to release. They don't score either. This issue is intermittent. It works 'sometimes' without locking open and the roll overs score and sound. But I would say 'most of the time' it locks open. Pretty random, haven't been able to find a pattern/cause. I checked and cleaned all the switches.

As I mentioned the only work I've done on it recently has been replacing the rubber on the dead bumpers. Along with that the light for the left lane and the left lane dead bumpers flicker sometimes. I have re-checked my solder job on it but maybe somehow the contact is bad...?

I guess my question is, is the dead bumper light socket and the left lane roll overs related to the point it might be causing this and if not, any other ideas?

Oh...and the right side roll overs do NOT do this...ever.

THANKS!

#2 2 years ago

By the way, the schematic for this pin in 'ipdb' is mine Just thought I'd brag on it a bit...I see why everyone wanted it there...very handy.

#3 2 years ago

The bonus advance relay might not be releasing its hold circuit. Check the bonus unit end of stroke switch that it opens properly when activated.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply!
Okay, let me start by correcting my terminology. Hopefully that will continue as I progress through the schematic.

The 'bonus unit step up solenoid' is what is sticking. You are correct, the bonus advance relay is not releasing the circuit and I cannot manually force it to. The end of stroke switch IS opening though.

#5 2 years ago

Here's another thing. the roll overs don't do anything until the bonus lane is turned on. Then, when they're rolled over they stick the bonus unit step up solenoid. I see on the schematic that the left lane circuit does rely on the left lane lite to come on. I just still wonder if it has something to do with those things flickering.

#6 2 years ago

A little more info. As I say it is somewhat intermittent but this is based on its current state...

If I operate the 'top left lane roll over' it 'should' turn on the 'light left lane relay' which it does. However, the lights do not come on and I can manually open the relay unlike the right lane light relay, which when it is on, I cannot manually turn it off.

#7 2 years ago

Okay..WOW...so upon closer inspection! There was a piece of electrical tape on the relay plate on the alternator, left lane, and lite right lane relays!!! I took those off and cleaned them and miracle...the left lane started working properly again. A little adjustment to the light left lane switches and...second miracle, no more flickering. (sigh)...looks like I just have a bit more work to do in going through this thing a little more thoroughly.
What in the WORLD would someone have put electrical tape on those for!!???

#8 2 years ago

The tape is usually put on the plate to stop a relay from buzzing. I've done it a few times and never had a problem - but would have reversed it right then if problems came up.

#9 2 years ago

I'll be darn! well, I imagine it had the desired affect for a while (the tape was VERY old) and maybe the relays just eventually got weaker to the point the tape negatively affected it. Good to know though..thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-circus-bonus-subtract-coil-locking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.