You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally Circus transformer (resized).jpg
384F7BEA-C030-4973-9E7C-9D48C71F5D16 (resized).jpeg
E0A0E6A5-6759-4D8E-AD8C-D59400CDD263 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

On the schematic, the transformer shows the numbered lugs and the wires that connect to them. Also on the schematic is a diagram of the transformer and the lugs also numbered. Problem is, information is conflicting. One shows a line wire to lug 9 and the diagram says 9 is not used. And this is beside the fact that wire colors are all wrong. Can anyone e plain what’s going on or point me to an online resource?

This so confusing for an electrical noob.

384F7BEA-C030-4973-9E7C-9D48C71F5D16 (resized).jpeg384F7BEA-C030-4973-9E7C-9D48C71F5D16 (resized).jpegE0A0E6A5-6759-4D8E-AD8C-D59400CDD263 (resized).jpegE0A0E6A5-6759-4D8E-AD8C-D59400CDD263 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

It appears that lug 9 is for 220V/240V operation. (Overseas from USA)

Follow the diagram on the right for 115V operation on the line side of the transformer

for the load side of the transformer use lugs 4,8&10 respectively (lug 2 is for "high tapping" and with reliable input voltage you shouldn't need it )

Bally Circus transformer (resized).jpgBally Circus transformer (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

I had a look at the Circus schematic, including the section you pasted here. I’ll have to say, I’m not surprised you are confused. It is a bit odd and confusing. I believe that usually the schematic will show the 110V wiring. But this Circus schematic seems to show the 220V wiring, with lug 9 connected as you pointed out.

Have a look at my post linked here that describes the power section of a Monte Carlo which is a Bally of similar vintage. There you will see that the schematic matches up with the 110V setup, so it’s less confusing.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-machine-complete-circuit-description-2-bally-monte-carlo#post-5177482

I know Bally schematics the best, so I’m not sure about other brands. For the Ballys, when looking at the schematic and comparing your specific machine wiring, you have to be aware that there can be differences around the transformer and also everything in the coin door, as different coin acceptor setups can be installed on different machines and the wiring will be different. Most everything else should match up.

The schematics also have random errors that you might find as well. It’s all part of of the fun to sleuth it all out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-circus-73-transformer-wiring-question?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.