• Latest reply 3 years ago by Kmstevens
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Slowly working through many startup and reset issues on my Bally Circus. This latest issue has me stumped. On startup all but 4 score reels reset to 0 as designed. The 10, 100, and 1000 reels for the 2nd player as well as the 100 reel for the 4th player remain stationary. If I move all those to 0, the score motor stops as it should.

The schematic shows all four of these reels are energized through the score reset relay #2. The score motor and score reset relays keep firing as the reels never move to zero.

Score reset relay switches were cleaned, wires checked, and all the switches change state as they should. Any other suggestions by for something else to check?

Thanks for looking.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Kmstevens:

The schematic shows all four of these reels are energized through the score reset relay #2. The score motor and score reset relays keep firing as the reels never move to zero.

Check that NO score motor sw. 11B is clean and gapped properly.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

SCM switch 11B checks out fine. Both score reset relays fire as they should. It’s just that 4 of the score reels will not move. The fact that all 4 are energized by reset switch 2 might just be coincidence, I don’t know. But logic seems to favor score reset #2 as the common failure point. Just don’t know how to analyze the switch.

#4 3 years ago

Did you check the individual score reel EOS switches on your problematic score reels to ensure they're clean and closed (making contact) until open at zero?

Follow Curriedog's suggestion; also since each of the switches on #1 Score Reset and #2 Score Reset relays controls individual score reel reset to 0 (along with RESET relay and SCM switches mentioned above), make sure each of the switches on those two relays are clean and make properly with a bit of overtravel when tripped.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Kmstevens:

But logic seems to favor score reset #2 as the common failure point. Just don’t know how to analyze the switch.

Did you check the coil with a multimeter, and for basics like cold solders, etc.? You could try jumpering #1 to #2 to see if the coil is working.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Did you check the coil with a multimeter, and for basics like cold solders, etc.? You could try jumpering #1 to #2 to see if the coil is working.

The fact that at least one of each player's score reel properly resets, I don't think it's a coil issue... I'd check the circuit that drives the #1/#2 Score reset relays as described earlier, and then check individual switches on those two relays, and then on to the individual score reels, making sure the open-at-zero switches on those are clean and working properly.

Good luck, get back to us.

#7 3 years ago

I will do all the recommended steps above, and post the results. Thanks for all the suggestions. This is such a great forum; thanks!

#8 3 years ago

I have solved my current issue. On a general check of everything in the backbox, I discovered the coil in the 100 pt. relay was loose. So I tightened the coil, cleaned and adjusted the switches again as long as I was in there. Done and done. Don’tknow why some of the 100 point score reels worked and some didn’t but I’m not complaining.

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback. Now onto the outhole and ball kicker issues!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-circus-73-some-score-reels-will-not-zero-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.