• Latest reply 6 years ago by jj44114
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5F5BA349-6304-41B8-866E-28BD94AA0339 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I am out of ideas with my Bally Cheap squeak for my Lady Luck. Here is the short version of its history:

The volume was wonky when I purchased the game. It seemed to randomly get louder and softer. One day it stopped working. I changed the volume control in the coin door. The sound still did not work.

Next I recapped the sound board, no luck.

Next I diagnosed an issue with the cpu on chip on the sound board. I changed the chip and there was sound! I didn’t play the game for some time, the sound was gone again.

Next, I replaced the volume control in the coin door with the same pot that came with the game. The sound worked when it was wired incorrectly for a few days. After some friendly pinside help, I found out that the pot that came with the game was incorrect. I replace with the specified pot. Over the course of this time, the sound stopped working again.

I have recently burned new sound roms, tested the continuity of the roms to the board, and rigged up a stereo speaker to the game. Still no sound. When I press the red sound test on the sound board I get the right noise through the speaker.

I appreciate any help or ideas to fix this issue. I have spent way to much time on it. Thank you in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Have you cleaned or replaced the small volume control pot on the sound board itself?

#3 6 years ago

I have not. It seems to still change the volume. What would cleaning it up consist of? I probably should just buy a new one. I take it the test button has nothing to do with Roms?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Noham:

It seems to still change the volume. What would cleaning it up consist of?

Rotate the pot full sweep a dozen times. If you have some contact cleaner/Isopropyl, spray it in there while you rotate it.

Quoted from Noham:

I take it the test button has nothing to do with Roms?

The test button will cause the CPU to execute a test routine from ROMs that plays back the explosion sound.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Noham:

I have not. It seems to still change the volume. What would cleaning it up consist of? I probably should just buy a new one. I take it the test button has nothing to do with Roms?

I just worked on a Cheap Squek in a Fireball Classic. I ended up replacing the small pot on the Cheap Squeak board itself. Even cleaning it didn't help. Only replacing that pot cured it.

#6 6 years ago

If your getting the correct sound(you said noise)when you press the test switch on the board, you most likely have a connector issue. If that sound works, then the roms, 6803, pot, amp and pretty much everything on the board is functioning. What do you get when you activate the sound test with the switch inside the coin door coin door? If nothing, then the sound signals are not getting to the sound board. Sounds like you had intermittent sound issues all along. Check the sound board connector and header pins. All that stuff you replaced probably had nothing to do with the issue. Bad connections will work on and off, which sounds like your history with this.

3 weeks later
#7 6 years ago

Update - I replaced the potential loose connectors. The sound works perfectly for about 15 to 20 minutes. Randomly mid-game the sound will stop. If you power the game off for 20 minutes and let it cool down, the sound will start to work again. I reflowed the pins on the back of the sound board. I am still having the same issue. Additionally, the test button will still produce sounds even when the game sounds quit. Thanks for the help.

#8 6 years ago

When the game sounds quit, try the sound test from the switch inside the coin door. Any sound?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

When the game sounds quit, try the sound test from the switch inside the coin door. Any sound?

If the sound board responds to the diag button but no inputs from the MPU i would be checking with a logic probe on the sound/sol bank select. You should see clean transition from solenoid test mode stepping to sound test. (sound board shares solenoid data)

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

No, it does not work. No sound is produced.

When the sound is working, the sound test plays one sound every second or so. I think that is what it is supposed to do?

#11 6 years ago

That is correct.

#12 6 years ago

Get a logic probe and during that sound test you should see the signal coming into the sound board at pins 1-4 of the connector. It leaves the mpu at pins 1-4 of the mpu I think. Do all your solenoids fire correctly during the Solenoid test?

#13 6 years ago

To clarify - the sound test plays the same noise over and over again. Reading the manual it almost sounds like a different sound is supposed to be produced?

The solenoids seem to fire correctly in the test mode. They also seem to fire correctly when I manually ground them.

I did notice the one that flashes the lights (q14 I believe) seems to have some damage. See picture. Should something be replaced there? The lights seems to flash correctly despite the damage

I purchased a logic probe, but I really don’t know how to use it. Can you break down what I am supposed to do in more detail or is there a tutorial you would recommend?

Thank you for all of the help. 5F5BA349-6304-41B8-866E-28BD94AA0339 (resized).jpeg5F5BA349-6304-41B8-866E-28BD94AA0339 (resized).jpeg5F5BA349-6304-41B8-866E-28BD94AA0339 (resized).jpeg5F5BA349-6304-41B8-866E-28BD94AA0339 (resized).jpeg

#15 6 years ago

I believe you said earlier that the sound test (coin door button) had no sound. Now you say the test plays the same sound over and over (which is what the sound test does on all Bally SS machines). Which is it?

#16 6 years ago

I can walk you through the logic probe tomorrow if that would help. PM me and we’ll figure it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-cheap-squeak-is-driving-me-crazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.