(Topic ID: 129164)

Bally Centaur help needed (problems continue)

By meSz

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Vector
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_2015-08-23-03-41-37.png
image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Helping someone out with a Bally Centaur. When I turn the game on it seems to boot-up fine and all but as soon as I press the start button the first thing I notice is that the top left RELEASE light, the Spots 1-4 Targets light and the Release Power Orb lights are all lit! The other thing I notice real quick is that there is no background "music". The voice "squawk & talk" is working though!

As I play the first ball all the solenoids appear to be working and it's scoring as well. Once again there is no sound when you hit targets unless it's a target that makes the machine talk, you do get that! Lastly, when the first ball drains it does not kick out a second ball to the shooter lane (I will check to make certain all 5 balls are seated properly). I have checked and tested all fuses!

#2 4 years ago

Check all the ball trough switches. The software will be confused if it does not know the location of the balls.

Go into audits. Set all the sound audits(the last 4-5 audits before the game reboots) to "03". That should fix up your sound issue.

#3 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure the top left yellow Release Light and the blue Release Power Orbs light are always lit depending on the options you set in your dip switches.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Go into audits. Set all the sound audits(the last 4-5 audits before the game reboots) to "03". That should fix up your sound issue.

I change these to reflect 3 but still no sound!

Quoted from barakandl:

Check all the ball trough switches.

I will check this later as work is getting in the way at the moment!

Quoted from kguenther6:

I'm pretty sure the top left yellow Release Light and the blue Release Power Orbs light are always lit depending on the options you set in your dip switches.

Okay I will look at the manual for more information on this!

Thanks again as this is my first encounter with a Centaur!

#5 4 years ago

On the sound board there are two POTs (potentiometers), that have blue or white adjusters. One is for speech volume and one is for sound volume. Turn them clockwise a bit and check the game again for sound.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Okay I will look at the manual for more information on this!

I don't think the manual spells this out. But if you choose an option (I think its the option to release orbs if you light all the out lines or maybe the option to release orbs when you knock down the ORBS targets in order) then the blue Release Power Orbs light will always be on. The upper yellow Release light is similar. You have to have one of the options turned on and then the light will always be on. But I don't think the manual tells you this.

#7 4 years ago

Ok I set 15-21 at 3 and still no sound (music, speach is working)!

As for the switches for the balls, the picture below shows the switches. There are a total of 4 balls in the multi ball cradle and one ball that stays up above???image.jpg

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

As for the switches for the balls, the picture below shows the switches. There are a total of 4 balls in the multi ball cradle and one ball that stays up above???

That is correct. The fifth ball always stays in the outhole and a diverter sends it over the ball trough to the plunger.

2 months later
#9 3 years ago

Reviving this thread as I am just now getting back to working on this machine!

Turned the machine on today and this is what I am getting.

LED on the module is flashing 7x
The machine boots up but there is no sound
Upon pressing play it starts a game but after the ball drains it does not end and it never kicks out ball 2 but yet the flippers are still active and I can register points.
I ensured all switches under the playfiled (ball drain area) are gaped properly
I did go through and tested the lamps (all work) and solenoids (all worked with the exception of the 4 center targets)
Ensured all fuses are in fact good

Any input where to start looking is appreciated!

#10 3 years ago

Ironically I am also restoring a Centaur with a similar sound issue (though I only have speech, no sound or music) in Pittsburgh. I believe it's probably one or more caps responsible for carrying this signal on that board. I'm going to order the parts to rebuild this weekend, and I'll post back if this resolves the issue.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from djriel:

I'll post back if this resolves the issue.

Appreciate it! I have more then just sound issues though!

#12 3 years ago

well the trough switch issue is probably either:

the switch isn't registering.
I believe this game has to have 6 balls in it. 1 less and it thinks a ball is still on the field.
Something in the wiring between those trough switches and the mpu.
mpu set incorrectly (alltek?)
something on the mpu flaking out.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Upon pressing play it starts a game but after the ball drains it does not end and it never kicks out ball 2 but yet the flippers are still active and I can register points.
I ensured all switches under the playfiled (ball drain area) are gaped properly

You need to put it in switch test mode and make sure outhole and ball trough switches are registering.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from djriel:

well the trough switch issue is probably either:
I believe this game has to have 6 balls in it. 1 less and it thinks a ball is still on the field.
Something in the wiring between those trough switches and the mpu.
mpu set incorrectly (alltek?)
something on the mpu flaking out.

6 balls in the game but only 5 in the trough. The other ball is the captive playfield ball in front of the inline drops.

If the trough switches all work in test then make sure they still active when you sit a ball on them (one switch at a time). Sometimes the arms on these micro switches need to be adjusted slightly. The switch maybe working but the ball isn't registering on it.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

The machine boots up but there is no sound

Count the flashes on the squawk and talk board when booting up. You should see at least 4, probably 5, flashes for successful boot. If you get that then check power. The board needs -12V I believe for the amp.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Count the flashes on the squawk and talk board when booting up. You should see at least 4, probably 5, flashes for successful boot. If you get that then check power. The board needs -12V I believe for the amp.

Okay I get 5 flashes and also the machine says "Centaur" upon starting the game. Once the game is started there is no background sound/music.

Quoted from kguenther6:

You need to put it in switch test mode and make sure outhole and ball trough switches are registering.

Upon getting to the switch test I get nothing! Nothing on the displays and nothing when I touch/close any of the switches.

Quoted from djriel:

no

Quoted from djriel:

5 balls in the trough and 1 in the captive are top left of the playfield as BoP stated.

#17 3 years ago

bump

#18 3 years ago

Do you have another game with a Squawk and Talk board? You could try swapping boards between games.

I am certain Centaur requires 4 balls in the lower trough and one in the outhole. I just got up and checked my game to verity. 5 balls total.

*edit* the captive ball isn't a normal pinball; I believe it's 1/16" bigger, possibly the same as what bingo games use.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Okay I get 5 flashes and also the machine says "Centaur" upon starting the game. Once the game is started there is no background sound/music.

Go into self-test settings and make sure #18 is set to '03'

#20 3 years ago

The sound issue is either the pot for the music is bad, or tge caps. with the game Off ( maybe alcohol dabbed on it with a qtip and wiggle it back and forth, then turn on and try it again.)

That may fix it. If not, replace all the caps and the pot on the soundboard.
If they are origonal they need replacing anyways.

Then for the start issue. Check your plugs to the boards. If all looks good With a DMM on buzz tone.

Put on each switch and see if they make contact.
Check the diodes if they have them.

Then check for broken wires at the same time.
You can also check from your switches to the plug to see if its a complete circuit.

If your center targets are not working as well that makes me think its a broken switch wire issue.
Or a bad switch capacitor.

And if the switches have caps solidered to them cut off one leg of the cap.
Bad switch caps can cause a row to act wierd.

Cut of switch caps too look like this pic.
They are not needed to play but replace them to make the switch respond properly.
Bad ones will make the switches act up.

Screenshot_2015-08-23-03-41-37.png

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Do you have another game with a Squawk and Talk board? You could try swapping boards between games.
I am certain Centaur requires 4 balls in the lower trough and one in the outhole. I just got up and checked my game to verity. 5 balls total.
*edit* the captive ball isn't a normal pinball; I believe it's 1/16" bigger, possibly the same as what bingo games use.

I have a Medusa with the S&T board. Let me ask this though...I notice Centaur has a little different setup then Medusa will this matter as well as the fact that the Medusa S&T has the Medusa chips in it!

Correct, 4 balls in the trough and 1 in the outhole!

erak, will look at your tips as well!!! Thanks!

#22 3 years ago

When I work on S&Ts, I use a pair of headphones. Connect the tube to ground and use the tip to probe. You can hear the signals at the various test points. I just repaired one this week. In my case it was the coupling capacitor for the sound channel. If I had done the cap kit first, I wouldn't have had to troubleshoot it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Machine - For Sale
San Leandro, CA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside