• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0677 (resized).JPG
IMG_0679 (resized).JPG
IMG_0676 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Problem - Bally 7 digit score display on player 4 is flickering. Almost like it's strobing brighter and darker throughout the segments.

What I've done already - I reflowed solder on the header pins along with the glass display pins. I've done continuity checks on all associated work. Everything checks out. I've tested the transistors which all fall within .5 to .6 ohms. All the resistors look fine. No burning. I've swapped connectors with the player 3 and it still does the same thing. Also, I've connected player 4's connector to player 3's display and no issues. The problem is isolated to this display. My final thought is that the glass is just shot.

I would appreciate any other suggestions prior to just ordering a new display.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is a little bit of strobing, which is normal. But it isn't usually too apparent with the naked eye. It usually gets picked up on video footage, though.
However, if it's severe, then that may point to a voltage issue.
Has the driver board been refurbished?

The driver and mpu are alltek. I can plug the connector into any other display and it works fine. The problem is within the display or its board. The display technically works but gets dim then just slightly brighter but never as bright as it should.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I suspect that display might have an issue with the display blanking signal. This signal blanks the displays every time they are refreshed (320 times per second) and can cause ghosting/extra brightness on the display if it isn't receiving/reacting to the signal.
Check the 20k resistor between pin 10 of the cable connector header and pin 7 of the 4543 chip on the display board. It could be the 4543 chip itself.

Tested fine. Other than taking the chip out and testing it in one of those cheapo chip testers (which sometimes work and sometimes don't), I don't have the tools to test a chip.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can you post a picture of the .156" header pins? Suggest you change them as there can be some tarnished pins.

Look pretty clean.

IMG_0679 (resized).JPGIMG_0679 (resized).JPG

IMG_0677 (resized).JPGIMG_0677 (resized).JPG

IMG_0676 (resized).JPGIMG_0676 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

Issue resolved. It was the 4543 chip. New one socketed and installed. Thank you to all that responded. Saved me from buying a Pinscore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 195.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-centaur-display-flicker?tu=dtown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.