6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

cp2.jpg
    cp1.jpg
    st1.jpg
    ci4.jpg
    ci2.jpg
    ci1.jpg
    x2.jpg
    c15.jpg
    c12.jpg
    c11.jpg
    c10.jpg
    c9.jpg
    c8.jpg
    c7.jpg
    c6.jpg
    c5.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Well here my next project for a customer will be a high end complete rebuild.
    Hmm i woulder could this have been a rare LE Fathtaur?? lmao

c1.jpg c2.jpg c3.jpg

#2 6 years ago

More pics

c4.jpg c5.jpg c6.jpg

#3 6 years ago

Boards stripped down for rebuild

c7.jpg c8.jpg c9.jpg

#4 6 years ago

More stripped boards and new modified and recleared PF

c10.jpg c11.jpg c12.jpg // Error: Image 101390 not found // c15.jpg

#5 6 years ago

I'm curious to know what the customizations will be.

#6 6 years ago

you have a lot of work in front of you.

playfield looks good, i like what you did the wire braid under the PF, it's different, what did you used for that?

#7 6 years ago

Some of the customizations will be custom painted cabinet all automotive, star post will all be lighted and interactive, sound upgrades, adding flashers lighted flippers etc.
    Traces are made from foil tape Ive done this on a few other machines cleans up the PF alot and makes it easier to service

#8 6 years ago

Is that foil tape for alarm use, or stained glass use or.........?

#9 6 years ago

That foil tape idea is BONKERS. I'm not sure if I like it or not. It sure looks cool, but I've gotta wonder about the current capacity of that stuff, and the longevity??

#10 6 years ago

What was in there before? Is it actually wire braid in the early 80s Bally games? I've been working on my friends Meteor lately and the ground on the PF looks a piece of solder lol. This stuff is bound to be better than that right?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Is that foil tape for alarm use, or stained glass use or.........?

Stained glass

Quoted from Frax:

That foil tape idea is BONKERS. I'm not sure if I like it or not. It sure looks cool, but I've gotta wonder about the current capacity of that stuff, and the longevity??

Current capacity is 20amps and is thicker and wider than the power supply traces, the glue is high temp acrylic and meant to last forever realy under stress

#12 6 years ago

Very cool.

I've use that stuff for circuit board repair because the acrylic adhesive is actually conductive, but I've never though of using it on a playfield - very bad ass idea!

#13 6 years ago

amazon.com link »

Stuff I used on circuit boards.

#14 6 years ago

It was the standard braided soldered everywhere wire
    This method is alot nicer for future work for the sockets will be able to be detached without the troublesome ground braid.
    Realy worked nice on this machine i did a few years ago the base and screw acted as the ground

x2.jpg

#15 6 years ago

Im digging that foil tape - looks super clean - can you just solder straight to it?
    or no soldering required?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

amazon.com link »
    Stuff I used on circuit boards.

Pretty much same stuff i use except mine is tinned on both sides i dont want the copper turning black and looking like ass or needing to be cleaned for repairs but Ive used copper tape to repair burnt traces on amp boards etc back in the past when i restored and rebuilt audio equipment

But why not turn the PF into basicly a circuit board? at least that was my question so i tried it and it worked out better than expected.

#17 6 years ago

Just heat will solder the joints but i add solder anyway just to be sure of no problems or shorts.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

i dont want the copper turning black

That particular copper foil never changes color because it has Zinc added to it.

" Annealed and non-tarnishing, bright copper color" says the label.

Can't say that about all of them.

#19 6 years ago

Multi-led rollover insert illumination boards for smooth even rollover lighting.
    Low profile to reduce PF cluster and fit into insert hole under switches

ci1.jpg ci2.jpg ci4.jpg

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Multi-led rollover insert illumination boards for smooth even rollover lighting.

wow, that i like a lot, can you explain where/how to, if possible. thank.

#21 6 years ago

I really like the rollover LED boards. Where can they be ordered or are they custom made? I am about to do several playfield swaps and have been trying to work out a better way to light up the rollover inserts more evenly...

I love the idea of using the foil tape and not having to deal with soldering each bracket to the ground braid.

I will be keeping an eye on your restoration for more ideas on how I can improve mine.

-- Shawn

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Very cool. What's the story on these? Available anywhere?

Edit: nevermind, everyone else is already asking.

#23 6 years ago

Rollover boards are custom i build them myself, I had a 100 boards made a couple years ago, currently I use 3mm leds and they are a bit of a pain to build atm I need to redesign a smd version for in the future. There are several versions of this board some have bridges for ac another has shunt resistors to eliminate flicker etc.
    Currently making a new style dual color with individualy controlled high power led mod for the saturn bumpers this will be the first machine i use them in.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Rollover boards are custom i build them myself

Kick-ass dude!

#25 6 years ago

S&T just about done with rebuild upgrades and mods

st1.jpg

1 week later
    #26 5 years ago

Nice. The rollover LED boards are pretty slick. Interesting approach with the foil as well. Can't wait to see how this turns out. You definitely got some work ahead of you.

#27 5 years ago

Excellent work. If I ever find a Centaur, this is the kind of treatment it would get. Where did you get your foil tape? You said it was tinned already.

Also, where did you have the rollover pcbs manufactured?

I wish I would have thought about copper conductive adhesive tape for pcb repair recently. Ideas about cleaning prepping a toasty board to add that for repair?

#28 5 years ago

Not an easy restoration, good job so far

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

This method is a lot nicer for future work for the sockets will be able to be detached without the troublesome ground braid.

This is a very cool idea. Thank you for sharing your method.

#30 5 years ago

0_0 ACES!

#31 5 years ago

The foil tape looks cool. If I was going through all that trouble I would be tempted to use late model Bally/Williams cabinet ground strap. I thought that's what it was at first glance.

The rollover LEDs are very nice as well. Since you could build that do you think it would be possible to integrate an opto switch in the middle to replace the factory rollover switch and pop up? That would be an awesome upgrade. Getting those pop up switches smooth after clearcoating is a royal PITA. I'm sure you could make a few bucks if you brought a rollover opto switch to market.

Mike

#32 5 years ago

I don't recognize this S&T board. What is this small board on it ?

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

The rollover LEDs are very nice as well. Since you could build that do you think it would be possible to integrate an opto switch in the middle to replace the factory rollover switch and pop up? That would be an awesome upgrade. Getting those pop up switches smooth after clearcoating is a royal PITA. I'm sure you could make a few bucks if you brought a rollover opto switch to market.

Hmm havnt realy thought about it i would suspect making an opto switch would just be overengineered on these sometimes keeping this simple and reliable is the way to go, optos seem to have quite a few issues on pinball machines, more than the blade switches have had then the more parts you have the higher risk for failure. At least that is my opinion on this one i suppose in other cases it might be an improvement.
    The stars were pretty easy to clean out only took about 10-15 min each.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from HPR:

I don't recognize this S&T board. What is this small board on it ?

Im suprised nobody else noticed lol.
    It is an onboard reverb board mod so the crap SIA board will no longer be needed to have the echo voice and sounds on Centaur. It has a longer available delay and better adjustment of the effects than the say it again board did.

I have run this set up for years in my Centaur 2 and also have one in my Fathom and have plans on adding 1 to my Medusa and possibly Elektra soon as well.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

If I ever find a Centaur, this is the kind of treatment it would get. Where did you get your foil tape? You said it was tinned already.

They have the foil tape on ebay beware the guy selling the 3/8" he is realy selling 1/4" for too much lol

#36 5 years ago

That's awesome work! To take all components off of a pcb such as you did and put back takes lots of guts and patience!

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Im suprised nobody else noticed lol.It is an onboard reverb board mod so the crap SIA board will no longer be needed to have the echo voice and sounds on Centaur. It has a longer available delay and better adjustment of the effects than the say it again board did.
    I have run this set up for years in my Centaur 2 and also have one in my Fathom and have plans on adding 1 to my Medusa and possibly Elektra soon as well.

Is it possible to buy one ? I would like to try this mod on my Fathom

#38 5 years ago

Rectifier board started new bridges installed and heatsinks cut down to 90mm, drilled, tapped to 8/32 and mounted.

cp1.jpg cp2.jpg

1 week later
    #39 5 years ago

Driver board upgraded and modified.
    New 5V section handles 5A RMS with little to no heat.

// Error: Image 106553 not found // // Error: Image 106554 not found // // Error: Image 106558 not found //

#40 5 years ago

What a great project-coming along nicely!

#41 5 years ago

Looking good. Nice to see all the practical improvements being made to the electronics.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Looking good. Nice to see all the practical improvements being made to the electronics.

Agreed, I really like the electronics bullitproofing and renewal. A real gem this will be.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Protection
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 6,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside