• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

centaur-right-flipper (resized).JPG
centaur-left-flipper2 (resized).JPG
centaur-left-flipper (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm currently rebuilding the flippers on a Bally Centaur and I'm having some issues. I purchased two of the Bally Flipper Rebuild Kit - 05/1980-03/1988 kits from Pinball Life that are said to work with Centaur along with Xenon, the next machine I'll be working on.

I'm having a couple of issues. First off, the coil stop screws they supply are bigger than the ones both my Centaur and Xenon use. Also, the 3 holes for the nylon flipper bushings don't line up completely. You can get two of the screws in but not the 3rd. I would have to drill out the hole on the nylon flipper bushing a little bigger to get it to mount properly. Also, I could not use the #6 screws that are supposed to be used with their nylon flipper bushings as my mounting holes in the flipper base for the bushings use a #8 screw. I guess it's possible someone used a bigger screw at some point to mount the nylon flipper bushing. Also, the nylon flipper bushings are a bit longer than the originals on the end that sits below the playfield. PBL supplies two nylon washers which I'm not exactly sure what these are for. Are they spacers to use on the top side between the flipper bat and the nylon flipper bushing?

Has anyone used Pinball Life's kit on a Centaur or Xenon and had the same issues? I've read of people ditching these linear flipper parts and going with the older SS/EM Bally flipper parts as well.

This is actually the first Bally of this era that I've had to rebuild flippers on. I've included pictures of the flippers from my Centaur for reference. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

centaur-left-flipper (resized).JPGcentaur-left-flipper (resized).JPGcentaur-left-flipper2 (resized).JPGcentaur-left-flipper2 (resized).JPGcentaur-right-flipper (resized).JPGcentaur-right-flipper (resized).JPG

#3 5 years ago

In the end the parts they supply will work I'll just have to reuse some parts (such as the coil stop mounting screws and the nylon flipper bushing screws) and not use the screws they supply. I'll also just need to drill out 1 of the 3 holes in the nylon flipper bushing to get all 3 screws to line up properly.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I had the same issue some months back installing their rebuild kits on a Xenon (coil stop screws were too big and the three holes in the nylon flipper bushings were a little small and didn't quite line up).

Did you also notice that the nylon flipper bushings they supplied are a bit longer on the end that sits on the bottom side of the playfield? This causes the pawl to sit further away from the groove in the plunger shaft.

Did you use the nylon washers they supplied?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I have noticed that recent batches of the Bally nylon flipper bushings (regardless of where you bought them from) all have the screw holes too small in diameter. I've had to drill out the holes on the last dozen flipper bushings I've gotten.
Also, *ALL* of the machine screw holes in the Bally flipper base plate are 8-32 threads. So it sounds like your kit had the wrong screws in it.

Have you noticed that they were a bit longer on the botttom as well? The top length that sits above the playfield is fine.

I’ve emailed Terry at PBL about these issues and it’s interesting that you say all the screw holes on the plate are #8. This was his response when I asked about the #6 screws he included for the flipper bushings:

“Someone in the past has must have drilled out the holes to a larger size on your base plate where you mount the nylon bushing. All nylon bushings are mounted to their baseplates with a #6-32 x 3/8" screw. This has been stand for almost 50 years.”

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would let pinball life know this so they can start putting the right parts in these kits. I’ve received the wrong parts in the past as well.

This may cause problems for you after install like binding when the flipper travels in and out of the coil.

I have let Terry know. I ended up reusing my original flipper bushings as I was afraid of binding because the crank will sit lower inside the groove of the plunger.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

On both Flash Gordon and Fathom I had to reuse the existing screws.
I also had an issue with the new coil stops as well. The height seemed slight off, because it would bind the panel at the very end of stroke, making the flipper stick, very slightly.
I found I could bend/warp the coil stop to fix it, or put the old one back in. I only discovered this by replacing every part one at a time.

I found the same thing as well so I reused the original nylon flipper bushing. I could shave that end of the nylon flipper bushing that Pinball Life includes down a bit to get it to the correct length.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

On both Flash Gordon and Fathom I had to reuse the existing screws.
I also had an issue with the new coil stops as well. The height seemed slight off, because it would bind the panel at the very end of stroke, making the flipper stick, very slightly.
I found I could bend/warp the coil stop to fix it, or put the old one back in. I only discovered this by replacing every part one at a time.

Oh wait, you said the coil stop. I didn't have an issue with the coil stop, just the nylon flipper bushings being too long on the short end that rests against the pawl.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-centaur-and-xenon-flipper-rebuild-issues?tu=debaser and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.