• Latest reply 5 years ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN2827 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I noticed there are four holes drilled into the display board of my Centaur. Figured it was something that occurred at some point in its life. After looking at IPDB, there is a picture there with the same identical holes in the display board. I've owned a couple dozen early Bally SS games and haven't seen this before. Anyone know why they're there?

DSCN2827 (resized).JPGDSCN2827 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Whats on the other side of those holes? I think they are for the aux lamp board mounts.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Whats on the other side of those holes? I think they are for the aux lamp board mounts.

Aren't I the idiot! You're correct. My Xenon with the Aux lamp board doesn't have holes that go thru.

#4 5 years ago

Whats the serial number of your game without the holes? I can't remember if that was an early or later production change? I remember the game started out without the mirrored chase light backbox and they had to add the aux lamp board when they decided to go with the chase light backbox design.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

I remember the game started out without the mirrored chase light backbox and they had to add the aux lamp board when they decided to go with the chase light backbox design.

BigAl56 does this mean there were early Xenons that had a standard head and single backglass with lift channel?
We have what looks like two original Xenon backglasses and one has a more purple tinge than the other. Are you aware if there was a slight color change during production - maybe from a different supplier?
I'll try and post pics in a few days when I have access to them.

Quoted from tomdrum:

My Xenon with the Aux lamp board doesn't have holes that go thru.

Our Xenon has the aux lamp board mount holes going through - same as this:
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2821&picno=63300&zoom=1

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

does this mean there were early Xenons that had a standard head and single backglass with lift channel?

Yes, but were talking very early, like lab test sample early. Xenon was sitting around for a while as management debated for a couple years what to do with this radical multi level shot game. Then Williams came out with firepower and Black Night and pinball design changed ovenight. As planned the 'tube game' to have an ordinary backbox but it was discovered there were a stash of left over Space Invaders pinball chase-light backbox assemblies to use up and momentum took hold.

Muliball, speach, and a few other last minute ideas made for a lot of scrambling and late nites at the Bensenville VFW bar.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-centaur-4-holes-in-display-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.