Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20230505-153412 (resized).png
    #1 11 months ago

This just sold for $525:
    ebay.com link: itm

I would think there are thousands of these out there since each machine came with one. And Bally used the same design for a long time. It comes with the plastic inserts which are probably harder to find since they probably got banged up. Marco sells a reproduction (which is kind of garbage) for $40 without the lid and trays.

#2 11 months ago

Dang, I’ve got like 20 of these in storage. Never would have thought people would bid on them

#3 11 months ago

Must have been full for that price!!

#4 11 months ago

For years I gave these away at shows, now I get like $30 for them if I'm lucky. To each his own I guess.

John

#5 11 months ago

Added screenshot since the ad will eventually disappear.

Screenshot_20230505-153412 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230505-153412 (resized).png
    #6 11 months ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

Must have been full for that price!!

What's the capacity on these boxes? $500 in quarters would be 2000 quarters.

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from Ten31:

What's the capacity on these boxes? $500 in quarters would be 2000 quarters.

That would be about right. And darn heavy if you could lift it in and out. About 25 pounds in quarters plus the metal coin box.

LTG : )

#8 11 months ago

Something seems a little suspect. Perhaps a shill bidder. I just picked up a coinbox for $20...

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Something seems a little suspect. Perhaps a shill bidder. I just picked up a coinbox for $20...

It is complete with lid, plastic trays inside, and an early metal one.

No idea if they are easy to come by or not. Modern plastic ones are all over.

Maybe somebody wanting that particular one for their game ? That cutout on the right side to hook over a piece of metal and lock it isn't common, usually in the rear of the cashbox, at least on newer games.

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It is complete with lid, plastic trays inside, and an early metal one.
    No idea if they are easy to come by or not. Modern plastic ones are all over.
    Maybe somebody wanting that particular one for their game ? That cutout on the right side to hook over a piece of metal and lock it isn't common, usually in the rear of the cashbox, at least on newer games.

Game Plan also had a weird cash box that slides open to the side. And the Hybrids from Bally have cashboxes with the lock tab on the side as well. What good are the plastic trays? I have a few, use them to sort bulbs

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Dang, I’ve got like 20 of these in storage. Never would have thought people would bid on them

If you have any for sale, PM me. I have an Evel Knievel and a Centaur that are missing their cash boxes and it just doesn't feel right.

I tried the Marco repros, they don't fit........

#12 11 months ago

What made that special is that it had the plastic trays inside. They are hard to find, especially the larger one. There were 2 bids of $525.01 and the winner bid 4 seconds ahead of the loser. Which means there another person willing to pay $525 for one of those.

#13 11 months ago

I've gone as much as $100 or so for obscure/rare coinboxes in order to "complete" games. $500+ is bonkers. But what do I know.

There is a box that was only made for a few years, which is a little different than the standard solid state era box

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Coinbox/Cashbox_Identification_Guide#1972-1976

I'm not sure if that's the one or not...I can't see the photos very well on my phone in the sun right now.

#14 11 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is a box that was only made for a few years, which is a little different than the standard solid state era box

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Coinbox/Cashbox_Identification_Guide#1972-1976

That is it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-cashbox-why-so-much and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.