New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276952)

Bally Captain Fantastic Drop Target Reset Issue

By GotNext

42 days ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 days ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200822_145839 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200822_145830 (resized).jpg

#1 42 days ago

I recently acquired a Captain Fantastic Pinball game (my first EM) that I have been restoring. Decent shape, dirty and some mechanical and electrical issues which I have resolved and have it working after a ton of research on this site and others. However, I am struggling with the drop targets - which do reset, but are sloppy and fall off the slotted track making them impossible to drop during play. I disassembled the drop target unit completely, cleaned it and replaced the springs and targets. However, I discovered there is a lot of wear in the reset bar and the reset spacers. Looks like I can get the spacers from Marco but have been unable to find the same reset bar. I believe the part is P-7944-5 but the bar Marco has is different. Attached a picture of the bar and the wear. Anyone know where I can find another reset bar that matches?

I am working off the part catalog for the AS-2795 drop target assembly - this appears to be what is on the Captain Fantastic .. appreciate if anyone can validate.

Thanks.

IMG_20200822_145830 (resized).jpgIMG_20200822_145839 (resized).jpg
#2 42 days ago

Just an idea, narrowing the gap on the reset contact to get a somewhat longer "momentum" on reset?
I am gonna try this on my Old Chicago.
Same issue, replaced the targets, springs, cleaned it, still having spontanious drops on the bank.

#3 42 days ago
Quoted from GotNext:

Anyone know where I can find another reset bar that matches?

Email PBR and ask: pbr@pbresource.com

#4 42 days ago

Here's a "hack" (pun intended and warranted on this one) that I did on my Capt. Fantastic drop target bank 18 years ago and it still works great to this day. Cut a hacksaw blade the same length as the lift bar on the side that pushes against the bottom of the drop targets. Using Shoe Goo, glue the blade to the lift bar. This will create a shim that will help the lift bar push the targets high enough so the locking lip engages fully and the targets stay up until hit by the ball. I've done this on my Night Rider and Mata Hari as well. In one case, I had to add two blades to get the right amount of lift but normally one is all that is needed.

#5 42 days ago

You need this link pin and e ring to replace your worn out parts:

P-5829-2 Klip Ring (e ring, two needed per pin)

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-5829-2

S-739-229 Link Pin, drop target

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/S-739-229

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manalapan Township, NJ
$ 22.50
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 14.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 19.99
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 7.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 249.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 1,400.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.00
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside