Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Big_Bob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I bought a non-working BW100 and just started to troubleshoot. The transformer appears to be bad as the primary fuse is blowing.

With a 3 amp MDF (slo blow) fuse installed, and the transformer secondary disconnected from the wire harness, and power switch on, the primary fuse slowly cooks and blows in about 60 seconds.

The transformer looks OK - is not burnt looking.

Logic tells me that there should be no load (except parasitic) and the fuse should not blow if the transformer is good.

Am I on the right track?

Does anybody have a replacement Bally MT00-00157-A000 that they would be willing to sell me? I'll be at MGC on Saturday if that helps.

#2 9 years ago

you could try and identify is just one winding is shorted. And then just disconnect that one and figure out how to supply that voltage. Whether that means replacing the entire xformer or adding something else to replace just the shorted voltage.

#3 9 years ago

Call your local motor rewinding shop, those guys can rewind the bad winding and re-bake the whole transformer so it is quiet.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks. Those are really helpful tips. The plan is now repair if I can't find a good used replacement.

I'll test out the individual windings and try to figure out where the short is.

Vid's reply got me thinking. There seem to be a few services out there rewinding and repairing transformers. Some are old Ham Operators.

Has anyone on Pinside repaired/rewound their own pinball transformer?

I used to rewind slot car motors when I was a kid. I could also see attempting to rewind unobtainable coils. But I am not sure how tricky a system transformer would be.

I just found this interesting DIY site.

http://www.sm0vpo.com/power/diy_transformers.htm

#5 9 years ago

I also had a bad transformer on a BW100 (only bad transformer I have ever had, 150+ games). I was going to use a couple of other transformers to get the voltages I needed until I found a doner machine (Party Animal). The BW100 transformer is going to be a hard find since it was used on so few games.

Not much help but Best of Luck.
Bob

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Has anyone on Pinside repaired/rewound their own pinball transformer?

Not a Pinball transformer, but I've rewound many microwave oven transformers into custom, high amperage outputs.

#7 9 years ago

El Dorado Games sells used pinball power transformers:

http://www.eldoradogames.com/pinball_board.html

Just scroll down the list for the part number of your transformer.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

El Dorado Games sells used pinball power Transformers:
http://www.eldoradogames.com/pinball_board.html
Just scroll down the list for the part number of your transformer.

Thanks but they don't have the Bally MT00-00157-A000 listed on their website. I'll send them an email just in case they have it and don't have it listed.

8 months later
#9 9 years ago

One is on Ebay if you are still looking.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bw100-transformer-bad-replacement-needed-mgc-meetup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.