11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

as-2518-18-wiring.jpg
    20130328_233240.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Just got a used as251a BR for my paragon. I was replacing the header pins and was about to wire the thing up exactly like suggested on Steves repair guide here: www.stevekulpa.net/pinball/as-2518-18-wiring.htm

The only thing I am concerned about is that there are a bunch of wires soldered to the bottom side of the header pins on my board that aren't shown on steves picture. Wondering if anyone knew if this wiring looks legit and I should just go with it or if I should go with whatever Steve's wiring looks like?

Pics of my board and Steves Diagram:

20130328_233240.jpg20130328_233240.jpg as-2518-18-wiring.jpgas-2518-18-wiring.jpg

#2 11 years ago

While I'm not totally sure about your board, it looks hacked to me-like the wires from one of the connectors got burnt, and instead of crimping new pins, etc.. they just soldered the wire to the underside of the board. look for missing wires in connector J1, J2 or J3.
    I just recently rebuilt 2 Bally AS-2518-18s and 1 of them had similar hacks.
    So far for me Steve's page has been $$$. Do what he does

#3 11 years ago

Yeah, that board has been to "hack city". Undo all of that stuff and start fresh with new male/female pins and connector housings. Not sure of your experience with Ballys, but taking the time to replace all the connectors is very much worth it.

If the board appears too compromised from previous hacks, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a repro power supply. It is fun and educational to follow the guide and replace bridge rectifiers and do ground mods, etc., but for the extra $40 (since rectifiers, etc might cost you $20 ) a repro board gives you a new set of everything and you can derive your fun from palying the game instead.

#4 11 years ago

I cringe when i see that. If the person took just a bit more time and installed new headers and crimp on pins things would be a lot better.

Basically your connector probably burned up and instead of fixing the connector they soldered the wires right to the board.

It really should be fixed with all new male header pins and new female pins and housing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bridge-rectifier-board-wiring-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.