2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by brianmac
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brianmac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I am working on a Bally Bow and Arrow em machine and am down to a scoring/kick-out issue with the Top Kick-out Hole and Center Target.
This machine uses a Flash Motor which I had to solder contacts onto since 3 of the 5 were completely gone.
The motor makes it so the values will light up 1000, 2000, 3000 (+ escape gate), 4000, or 5000 points.
Once the Target is hit or the ball goes in the kick-out hole it should give the points that are lit.

The issue I am having is the Top Kickout Hole only kicks out every other time a ball lands in it (or the Center Target is hit) instead of every time.
Also, it doesn’t always give the score that it should. Looks like the 4000 is lit and it may give 1000 or zero, never know what you may get.

There are 50 contact rivets on the Flash Motor and 5 fingers spinning around it, so when the Target or hole is hit, the motor stops and is supposed to score the points the light is on.
Since I was working on the Flash Motor, I am kind of concentrating on it, which may be the wrong place to look.
I did look at the Top Hole and Center Target relay and did adjust a couple of switches that looked iffy to me, but that didn’t fix the problem.

Depending on which light is lit when hit it looks like the following Score Motor switches are fired: 3C, 9B, 2B, 4D, and 5B.

Anybody have an idea where (else) I should focus my attention?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

The problem with the flash motor and score issue is related to the speed the score motor stops. The metal bracket that stops the flash motor is 1) worn, 2) out of alignment or 3) gummed up and not acting fast enough. That is why the score varies from the lamp. The various thousands point timing happens just slightly different than where the motor stops for the lamp.

Yeah, I can see how that would be the case. I can live with that but:

The biggest problem is the Top Kick-Out Hole only ejects every other time. If the ball falls in the hole, it may kick it out the first time, but the next time it sits there until the Score Motor is called by it again and then kicks it out. It is also supposed to do the kick-out if the Center Target is hit also, and it behaves the same way.
I assume it is a switch somewhere (probably the Score Motor) stuck open or closed that is making it act this way.

Any guidance anyone can provide with this problem would certainly be appreciated.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Check score motor cam 7 switch D and cam 8 switch D. Clean and adjust if needed.

It’s looking like 8D is messing with me again. I thought it looked ok before, but I took another look after your post and it is kicking the ball out most of the time now (not every time).
Much better than it was. I’ll continue to look for the reason it doesn’t kick out every time.
The #8 stack is my problem stack on the Score Motor.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance with this. I really do appreciate it

#7 2 years ago

I fiddled with a couple more Score Motor switches and, at the moment, the Top Hole kicks the ball out every time and the Center Target works correctly. Also, I am getting the score that is supposed to be awarded from the Flash Motor.

Thanks everyone who helped get me through the major problems I encountered getting this machine back on it’s feet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brianmac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bow-and-arrow-top-hole-and-center-target-scoring?tu=brianmac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.