Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by currieddog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

inter (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG

#1 5 months ago

I’ve been working on a Bally Bow and Arrow for a friend of mine for the past few weeks. It sat in a storage area with no climate control so the whole thing was pretty messed up when it came out of storage. I was able to get a lot of the basic stuff fixed, but I’m tearing my hair out trying to figure out the last big hurtle.

All of the lights on the playfield and door work perfect. However, none of the lights in the head work. None of the general illumination lights work, and none of the during game lights work. I’ve traced almost everything back in the schematics thinking it was a switch that wasn’t working, but I couldn’t find anything.

I did have a small stroke of luck after cleaning the male portions of the Jones plugs leading to the head. They were very dirty and looked like a grey metal. After cleaning the two plugs in particular for general illumination, the lights in the head lit up. They stayed on for about 30 seconds before they turned off and refused to turn back on. The fuses are new, the fuse holders are not, and they all are okay even after the lights in the head turned off.

If anyone has any ideas or guidance I would greatly appreciate it. I do have the manual and schematics on hand as a heads up.

#2 5 months ago

Bally Jones plug receptacles are weak. Clean out the Female ends with cotton swabs and alcohol and try again.

#3 5 months ago

phil-lee I will give that a shot. Is there any way to replace Jones Plugs? I’ve read a lot about how bad the Bally ones are, but I haven’t come across anything talking about replacing them.

#4 5 months ago

Check the two Lock relay sw. and the Game Over make/break. You don't need to replace the Jones plugs.

Capture (resized).PNG

#5 5 months ago

currieddog I did check the lock relay sw and they both open and close as they should. I’ve been unable the find the game over make break because a lot of the labels on the machine fell off sometime ago. Is there some visual clue as to which one is the game over relay? I tried following wire colors, but haven’t had much luck.

#6 5 months ago

currieddog also, wouldn’t the number of players still turn on even if the game over relay was malfunctioning? I’m still relatively new to reading schematics so I may be wrong.

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from fmspin:

wouldn’t the number of players still turn on even if the game over relay was malfunctioning?

Not if it was making poor or no contact. Did you give the Lock relay sw. a light sanding (600# or so sandpaper)? The Game Over relay is an interlock, so there are two coils there, one offset.

inter (resized).jpg

#8 5 months ago

@currieddog I didn’t sand the lock contacts which I will do the next time I see the machine. I do know the one switch going to the play field lighting is fine since if I place a card between the contacts the lights turn off. I’ll sand and check the switches closely next time.

Thanks for the photo!! I remember seeing something like this in the cabinet without a label. I’ll double check that it is working properly and report back.

Thanks for the help!!

#9 5 months ago

currieddog I was able to check the game over relay and everything seems fine. I did clean the contacts and it didn’t solve the lights issue.

Unless I’m testing the wrong points, I’m not getting any voltage from the connector in the head from the two points that should supply General Illumination power. I’m testing the middle connector, the third from the top on the left side and the bottom wire on the left side as well. Shouldn’t I be seeing some kind of voltage from those two?

Could it be something to do with the fuses? It seems like someone replaced one of the fuse holders. The others are a bit dirty but don’t seem to have any major issues.

#10 5 months ago
Quoted from fmspin:

Could it be something to do with the fuses?

Could be. Remember that a fuse would knock out the whole line.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shelburne Falls, MA
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 334.95
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 14.95
Various Novelties
Allteksystems
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 269.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 12.95
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 259.99
$ 9.95
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 248.85
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside