0Shangri-La-Gate-01 (resized).jpg
20180305_202202-1 (resized).jpg
20180305_202439-1 (resized).jpg
20180305_202206-1 (resized).jpg
20180305_202202 (resized).jpg
20180305_202206 (resized).jpg
20180305_202439 (resized).jpg
20180305_202420 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Hi lowbeau67
please show a picture of Your gate --- picture taken "opposite direction", picture taken when the ball rolls towards the gate. See the lower right corner of the JPG --- from Your picture "situation: When the ball has rolled through the gate".

Here http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK - I looked through the "Bally 1976 Catalog" --- no drawing found (of the gate). BUT my Williams Shangri La has the same gate --- in the Williams 1969 Catalog on page-37 is a drawing http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1969/index.html#/36/ - http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1969/index.html#/37/zoomed

See my JPG - when the gate is closed: "my red wire" is down - when a ball rolls onto "my red wire" - the ball is reflected.
Gate opens means "my blue wire" is pulled downwards and so "my red wire" is lifted - ball can roll under - ball rolls through - ball pushes away "my green wire" - as my green wire is affixed to the housing: My green wire is lifted - after the ball has rolled further: Due to gravity my green wire plunges - hindering the ball to roll back into the playfield. We must see a picture "my red wire". Greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-Gate-01 (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Gate-01 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Hi lowbeau67
in the vaults I found these two pictures, greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-Gate-02 (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Gate-02 (resized).jpg

0Shangri-La-Gate-03 (resized).JPG0Shangri-La-Gate-03 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

Hi lowbeau67
do not hurry "turn the lever arm on Your pin" --- see the JPG in post-4 - I painted "green" on Shangri-La and on Your pin: The wire that is lifted by the ball roll in - roll through the open gate --- "green" is just to hinder the ball rolling back into the playfield. I believe: "Green" is mounted correct in Your pin --- You must investigate on "RED" - RED must be lifted when "blue" is moved down by the pulling Gate-Relay --- RED must plunge down due to gravitiy when the "blue" is no longer beeing pulled-down. Greetings Rolf

#10 6 years ago

Hi lowbeau67
thanks for the picture - looks good.
Troubleshooting later in the post --- here the story to my Shangri La Gate: See in post-5, first JPG, bottom left corner "12A" --- the old gate-wire did brake exatly there - I had two pieces of the broken wire. See the upper left corner on the JPG --- in the german language this is called a "Mobile" - we may hang such things on the ceiling and air makes the Mobile to turn a bit. I bought wires as used in Mobiles --- tried to make me a new "12A complete from G to 12A to E". Then I found-out: The Mobile-wires are not stiff enough - they bend when a pinball-ball bangs onto the wire. After some time I then was lucky and could buy a replacement "12A complete from G to 12A to E".
See the JPG in post-4 - "my 'drawn blue' wire for to open the gate" --- the old, original "blue I had" did NOT open the gate wide enough (just as in Your pin). I spent hours trying to put washers on top of the posts to raise the whole gate mechanism --- to put washers below the posts to raise - I tried to sneak-in some stripes of cardbord between "wooden playfield and screwed-on Gate-Relay" to vary the distance - so the old, original 'blue wire': "please, please, hopefully will function". NO LUCK.
Then I had the idea: The Mobiles-wire I had bought --- I made me about five "new blue wires - I bent them --- but each of these newly-made five wires was of slightly different length --- I made one and tried it --- I made a second one (a bit different in length) and tried it and again and again - and then the (about fifth) one had the right length --- and since then the Gate on my Shangri La functions.

Troubleshooting: Take away "blue wire" --- manually operate the gate --- does it functions beeing closed ? You then press with an finger on the place the blue wire would pull - You manually press - You manually open the gate - question: Can the ball roll through - can roll under the opened gate-wire ? You then let go on the "blue point" - question: DOES gravity closes the gate ?
And when the gate (maually operated) works without "blue pulling wire": You take Mobiles-wire and make You one, two, three ... "blue pulling wires of different length" --- make wires until You have a wire with exact length. Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bow-and-arrow-gate-dilemma?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.