3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by metalguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Working on my first em Bally boomerang. Fixed several problems but a new one popped up. Bonus countdown and scoring was working properly now its not.
    Heres whats happening.
    During play everything advances fine bonus lights go up normal. Ball drains and the bonus advance goes up one and kicks the ball out for next ball no score. Bonus count doesnt reset.
    The bonus advancing one after drain is weird. The bonus "0" relay looks toasty it is at 49 ohms it is rated at 78 should I just change it out?
    That relay doesnt seem to be doing anything. Its tuff to get to in the back of the box. The schematic says the bonus unit zero switch is closed to trigger it. Is that on the bonus stepper unit?
    Part of this circuit is the ball index hold relay which seems to working normal. I checked relevant score motor switches but didnt clean any contacts yet. I dont want to just start filing with a bunch of contacts unless I have to. Dont want to cause more problems
    Also if I manually trigger the bonus score relay it does count down bonus as normal of course no score. Must be bonus zero relay right?

Sorry if any questions are obvious or dumb. Just starting really and schematics are kind of crazy but im getting better.
    Thanks for any help

i have also read clays guides multiple times.

#2 3 years ago

When the ball goes in the outhole, that should activate the Bonus Score relay.
    The Bonus Score relay is responsible for counting down and awarding the bonus.
    Only after the bonus is awarded, the Bonus Unit zero switch should close, activating the Bonus Zero relay.
    Then the Bonus Zero relay should activate the Outhole relay.
    Then the Outhole relay should activate the Outhole Kicker solenoid.

What part of this isn't working correctly?

#3 3 years ago

It doesnt countdown when the ball is in the outhole but it counts up one. Which I cant wrap my head around ,the only things I see in common with the step up solenoid and the step down are the outhole switch/relay and the bonus zero relay.
    I will look at the game later and see if the bonus score relay is triggering when ball is in outhole. I think the score motor is only turning one time also when the ball is in the outhole.

#4 3 years ago

If I hold down the outhole switch after scoring a bit the score motor continues to turn and the stepper unit continues to count up. If I hold in the bonus zero relay and trip the outhole switch it counts down and scores as normal. I t is also going up one bonus point when the ball kicks out the outhole.

#5 3 years ago

I think you do want to focus on the bonus zero relay. There is a "bonus unit zero" switch on the bonus stepper unit that, from looking at the schematic, seems like it should be open at zero, and closed at all other bonus stepper unit positions. This would cause the bonus zero relay to be energized at all bonus unit positions other than zero. If this switch isn't making good contact, or if the bonus zero relay coil is bad (not shorted, but has a break in the winding) then you will definitely have issues.

I know the operation of the bonus zero relay sounds backwards from what you would expect, but it's the only way the other circuits on the schematic make sense to me. From what I can tell, when the bonus stepper unit gets to zero, the bonus unit zero switch opens and drops out the bonus zero relay, which allows the outhole relay to energize and kick out the ball for the next ball in play.

One way you can confirm if my understanding is correct is to look at the bonus unit zero switch on the bonus stepper unit. Depending on how this switch is oriented, you should be able to tell if the switch is supposed to be pushed closed at zero, or pushed open at zero. If it is oriented to be pushed open at zero, then my understanding is correct. If so, then if the bonus zero relay is never pulling in, the ball draining will cause the outhole relay to energize immediately, and you'll go directly to the next ball in play without scoring off any accumulated bonus.

The advance of the bonus unit by one when the ball kicks out is normal on this game. Bonus is supposed to start at 1000 at the beginning of each ball in play, so the bonus unit needs to advance one from the zero position after the bonus is scored. Of course, if the bonus unit never counts down to zero, then the net effect is that the bonus just seems to go up one every time a new ball in play is set up.

- TimMe

#6 3 years ago

Thanks Tim, Your explanation is making sense to me. I believe the bonus stepper zero switch does open at zero ,but I will check tomorrow. I did order another coil for bonus zero relay ( it was low resistance in circuit and black wrapper and burnt looking coil lug plastic part) I will post my results after that.

#7 3 years ago

Got it! Im dumb, checking switches everywhere. It was a cold solder joint on the bonus stepper zero switch. I did change out the bonus zero relay because it was on its way out anyway. Thanks alot!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-boomerang-not-counting-down-bonus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.