You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Blue Paint Testing (resized).jpg
Bon Voyage Playfield (1) (resized).jpg
Bon Voyage Playfield (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi everyone. Looking for some support here on a Bally Bon Voyage Playfield. So a few weeks ago I posted this photo in EM Tech looking for some explanation about this playfield BEFORE I purchased the machine. I have since purchased the game for a reasonable price and now I'm debating what to do with the playfield. Overall, this game is clean inside and the backglass is in good shape. Unfortunately, the legs are a bit rusty, the chrome has some pitting and the playfield has issues. Obviously, this machine was exposed to some serious moisture over its life. Also, it looks like a previous owner might have used a spray wax because there is wax everywhere and what was on the playfield has turned to white powdery crud.

I'm not restoring this machine. I just want to tune it up, clean it up and play.

Here is where I could use some feedback. I'm 99% sure I am not going to do paint touch up anywhere. Please tell me that is the best thing to do. I'm not a painter; my art is the form of photography and fabrication. If I start to touch up, there is no stopping point. Right? Then if I do touch up, it needs to be cleared or sealed in some way from what I have read here. However, that blue is bothering me and trying to fill the voids is calling my name!

I have already vacuumed the playfield. If I don't do any touch up, my next step is to Naphtha, then Novus 2 and then wax. All done very gently and carefully. No, I'm not going to use alcohol and ME on this.

To the more experienced: Talk me off the ledge of making this playfield any worse!

Thanks!

Bon Voyage Playfield (resized).jpgBon Voyage Playfield (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Forgot to mention that the lower left blue area is not a playfield issue. It was something on the glass.

Bon Voyage Playfield (1) (resized).jpgBon Voyage Playfield (1) (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

You don't need to clear coat the playfield. First clean the playfield. Since the playfield has uncomplicated artwork, you can use enamel model paint (Testors) to touch up the playfield. Let the paint thoroughly dry for a few days, then apply a few coats of carnauba wax. And play... Clear coating should only be done on playfields with severe damage... No need to ruin a good playfield by clear coating it...

Or just clean the playfield, wax and play...

#4 6 years ago

Thank you for the reply. I am going to get some paints and try to color match. My lack of skill color matching will determine if I move forward. I watched some videos on color mixing and I'm going to get some supplies to try this a small batch first. I'll test on some clear acrylic and see how it goes.

Moderators; should this be moved to the 'restoration questions' section for a better audience?

Thanks

#5 6 years ago

pinrepair.com has some good info on playfield restoration also.

#6 6 years ago

Vid has a very good playfield restoration guide if you decide to go that route.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#7 6 years ago

I am not doing a full restore. The whole playfield is a mess. I just can't stand the blue and black looking so bad. I will not be clear coating either.

I used some paints we had at home to practice color matching last night. I will be getting the actual paints I will be using and trying this again before moving forward.

Blue Paint Testing (resized).jpgBlue Paint Testing (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Even if it isn't a full restore. Vid has very good advice on fixing playfield issues.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bon-voyage-playfield?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.