92F6FDE0-2A5E-4CA9-B601-824077D41837 (resized).jpeg
AF58CA18-F130-4700-891B-BAA7A3271A8E (resized).jpeg
EFD7B85E-0225-4DED-8586-92A5F9C619E8 (resized).jpeg
03D0C5C3-2C85-41EF-BF52-09C5B9121F0E (resized).jpeg
IMG_0365_(resized).JPG
IMG_0364_(resized).JPG
IMG_0363_(resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

Need some help recently picked up this game from a fellow pinsider. The game was disassembled /a project when I got it I have everything working but the swinging target. It has came on and worked a few times but not consistent.

At the swinging target motor board I have Pins 1 to 6 pin 1 and 2 do the scoring that works pin 3 is a Yellow Black wire with 49.5 ACV pin 4 is keyed pin 5 is a ground and pin 6 is yellow gray or yellow silver (discolored) and has 49.5 ACV. When the motor worked (only a few times) at start of a game and when it kicked the ball out and reset the drop targets it seemed that there was a increase in voltage on pins 3 and 6 to start the motor then back down to the 49 ACV range. When the ball drains the motor stops then when the ball kicked out the increase in voltage the motor started. The issue now is I cant get the motor to start and I'm not 100% sure if when I caught it working if what I described above is correct (the voltage increase to start the motor)? Any one know what should start and stop the motor for this swinging target?

#2 7 years ago

Help thanks

#3 7 years ago

I have one but i'm not that electrically savvy so I can't really speak to details but the swing target is connected to a near by bulb/relay that helps regulate the voltage or something. so make sure you have that in your equation when looking at things.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from gottafixit:

I have one but i'm not that electrically savvy so I can't really speak to details but the swing target is connected to a near by bulb/relay that helps regulate the voltage or something. so make sure you have that in your equation when looking at things.

Thanks can you tell me a little bit on how yours works? When mine did work (only a few times) when you turn the game on and have not started a game the target is stationary, once I started a game and the ball kicks out and targets are reset the target started to move once the ball was drained a bonus was counting down the target would slow down and stop. When ball 2 kicks out it started back up. Is that how yours works?

#5 7 years ago

So I'm posting this as I found my problem and I hope this will help someone else on there BP if they have this issue. From what I have found on here and the web there seems to be an issue with this target moving and found some things that helped me fix mine.

Old post I found here

So I'm shopping out my Black Pyramid I got a few weeks back. Everything works, aside from some lamp sockets, which is nice.

But, and this is probably sad on my part asking, why is there a lamp on the underside of the playfield??? It's in between the pops and I can't understand it's existence. There's no insert for it, and it can't light up anything on the pop bumpers. It's just...there! Is it mood lighting for when a tech has the door open??

It's just an odd thing to see for me. I'm sure there's a reason, but I can't see what it could be.

Xenon75 

Pinside member

It is in parallel to run the target motor when the aux board is activated from the lamp driver. It adds a little more resistance to latch the SCR used on the Lamp board. That lamp has to be good or else the board cannot activate the motor.

#6 7 years ago

The lamp is off until you start up the game see picks

IMG_0363_(resized).JPGIMG_0363_(resized).JPG

IMG_0364_(resized).JPGIMG_0364_(resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

there was also a post I found on the web this was my issue the connection on this solenoid board you will find it between the swinging target and the drop targets

Post from Web

I would guess it's the relay under the playfield there, it might be
bad or have cracked joints. Had a guy with the exact same problem,
motor would cut out in and out and the pop bumper would fire every so
often. Replaced the relay, everything was fine then. Hope this
helps.

IMG_0365_(resized).JPGIMG_0365_(resized).JPG

3 years later
#8 4 years ago

Did you ever get this working?

#9 4 years ago

Yes

2 weeks later
#10 4 years ago

PoBoyPinball , what did you do to fix it? Mine doesn't even start! Person who sold it to me, said it was working before she shipped it!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from boy141:

poboypinball , what did you do to fix it? Mine doesn't even start! Person who sold it to me, said it was working before she shipped it!

First spot to check would be any wires for the target assembly/motor that may have broken off/desoldered during shipping.

Check under the playfield in the area of that mechanism for any wires that look like they may have come detached. I have also seen the wires to the switch for that unit break off after years of normal use simply due to the repetitive movement of the target.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from boy141:

poboypinball , what did you do to fix it? Mine doesn't even start! Person who sold it to me, said it was working before she shipped it!

Start with checking that a wire didn’t break

03D0C5C3-2C85-41EF-BF52-09C5B9121F0E (resized).jpeg03D0C5C3-2C85-41EF-BF52-09C5B9121F0E (resized).jpegEFD7B85E-0225-4DED-8586-92A5F9C619E8 (resized).jpegEFD7B85E-0225-4DED-8586-92A5F9C619E8 (resized).jpeg
#13 4 years ago

Second check your voltages I list those in my first post.

#14 4 years ago

When the game is on but not started this light is out. As soon as you start the game and the ball kicks out it will turn on its need for voltage regulation for the swinging target. It’s bottom side playfeild between the pop bumpers.

AF58CA18-F130-4700-891B-BAA7A3271A8E (resized).jpegAF58CA18-F130-4700-891B-BAA7A3271A8E (resized).jpeg
#15 4 years ago

Here is what ultimately fixed my issue this relay to the right of the swinging target I believe this is what starts it. In my case I had cracked solder joints on the header pins reflowed them and I was good to go I found a post for this to be an issue where others have had to replace it.

92F6FDE0-2A5E-4CA9-B601-824077D41837 (resized).jpeg92F6FDE0-2A5E-4CA9-B601-824077D41837 (resized).jpeg
#16 4 years ago

Hope all of this helps

1 week later
#17 4 years ago

Hi PoBoyPinball ! I measured the current and I get zero. I replaced the 555 bulb and get nothing. Fuses are good. I pulled out the relay board and saw it was a bit melted. Ordered a new relay board from marco. Will see if that fixes the issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-black-pyramid-swinging-target-wont-start?hl=poboypinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.