(Topic ID: 268394)

bally black pyramid

By willie0912

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have a bally black pyramid that was playing fine. All the sudden now when you start the machine it plays fine for 4 or 5 games then it will start scoring non stop. You can shut the game off turn it back on and it stills scores non stop. If you shut it off for a period of time it will play fine for a couple of games than start the same thing all over again. I am assuming it is something heating up in the mpu board but not sure. Any ideas or solutions anyone, Thanks Bill

#2 3 years ago

maybe a stuck switch.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from willie0912:

I have a bally black pyramid that was playing fine. All the sudden now when you start the machine it plays fine for 4 or 5 games then it will start scoring non stop. You can shut the game off turn it back on and it stills scores non stop. If you shut it off for a period of time it will play fine for a couple of games than start the same thing all over again. I am assuming it is something heating up in the mpu board but not sure. Any ideas or solutions anyone, Thanks Bill

sounds just like the symptoms of a failed capacitor wired across a playfield switch.

When game is acting up immediately push the coin door test button three times to get to solenoid test. Let solenoid test raise the drop targets and put the ball in the shooter lane (to open all switches). Push the test button two more times for switch test. See what switch number is being reported as closed. Use manual to find what switch that is. Make sure switch gap is fine and its not stuck closed. Otherwise, snip loose one end of the capacitor wired across that playfield switch and see if the problem cleared. If so replace that switch capacitor 0.047uF (473 cap code) 50v+ ceramic or film capacitor. If one capacitor failed consider replacing all of them.

#4 3 years ago

Looks like switch #18 has a problem I will try to clip the capacitor free like you said and see what happens. I am sure you are right about it. Also I was told a while back that the capacitor is not needed just the diode, have you heard of that?

#5 3 years ago

Capacitors increase the sensitivity of the switch for scoring but are not needed. The switch will just be a little less sensitive to quick ball strikes. Most operators cut the caps off by the dozens when they stated giving trouble.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks, that is what I was told by a dear departed friend of mine but I just wanted to be sure. The diodes I know but I really did not know the purpose of the capacitors. Like they say you learn something new everyday.

3 months later
    #7 3 years ago

I have the same problem on switch #18 (P target) since many years, now. Indeed, since I have put capacitors on all the brief switches. All of them work, but the #18 : it gives a lot of points when you begin a new play. I have tried several capacitors, to change the target, to change the sense of wiring... Nothing works, except cutting the capacitor. But of course, the target is not as responsive as the others.

willie0912 : dit you change the capacitor with success ? Is there a capacitor on all your brief switches ?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manu2:

I have the same problem on switch #18 (P target) since many years, now. Indeed, since I have put capacitors on all the brief switches. All of them work, but the #18 : it gives a lot of points when you begin a new play. I have tried several capacitors, to change the target, to change the sense of wiring... Nothing works, except cutting the capacitor. But of course, the target is not as responsive as the others.
    willie0912 : dit you change the capacitor with success ? Is there a capacitor on all your brief switches ?

I have found that you don't use a really cheap basic small ceramic disc for this application. You know the 50v small sized ones you can buy common values of 1000pcs for $3 from China which i can't remember the cap class code, but the most basic of cheap type. I had a mata hari game where those cheap caps lasted about a week or less before they started machine gunning. Once used a different type of capacitor with better specs it was fine.

The strobe/return pulses are not the same every game, every column/row. I think this stresses some pf caps more than others, but I am not for sure on that.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for your answer barakandl. I think there are different brands of capacitors on my Black Pyramid, even if they are all new. But it could explain my problem on the P target. I never thought that it could be a problem. I'll check this.

#10 3 years ago

Very likely the diode on your "P" target is the problem. The "R" target on mine was doing the same thing, non stop scoring, wouldn't register as being hit. I replaced the capacitor first, no change. Replaced the diode and bingo, problem solved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-black-pyramid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.