(Topic ID: 196477)

Bally Black Belt sound problem (Turbo Cheap Squeak sound board)

By frunch

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm working on a Bally Black Belt where the background sound cuts out intermittently mid-game. It's weird, the background sounds will work fine, then cut out--but the sounds made by hitting targets etc still work. Then on the next ball, background sound is back...and eventually cuts out sooner or later. I replaced the 4 commonly-replaced electrolytic caps from a kit purchased from Marco. I reflowed the solder on the header pins and re-pinned the female connectors. Seemed to improve for a bit, but it's still doing it. Any ideas?

Edit: i also changed the potentiometer on the coin door and the pot VR1 on the sound board

#2 4 years ago

Is there a volume potentiometer on the board? They get crusty. Turn it back and forth a dozen times.

#3 4 years ago

You know, i just realized i forgot to mention that i changed the little pot on the board, vr1. There was an issue with the old one. I'll try turning the new one back and forth a few times and recheck all my work on the board just to be sure. Thanks!

#4 4 years ago

There should not be an issue with a new pot. So if there is a main one in the coin door check that one.

#5 4 years ago

Haha forgot that one too, coin door pot has also been replaced. My next move is to replace the male header pins. I was also reading about a freeze-spray method where you blow it at the various chips to see if hitting a particular one gets the sounds working properly... Gonna have to try that too.

#6 4 years ago

I would not put too much into the freeze spray with an intermittent issue. If that worked you would probably feel an Op-Amp getting hot or even see a discoloration.

Cutting in and out would usually be Pot or solder joint (cold or cracked). So you did all of the right things.

But, I remember back about 15 years ago when my sound on an IJ was doing something similar. Lloyd told me to redo the solder. I did and it didn't work. He said do it again. I did and it didn't work. He said do it again. I took the board and cleaned most of the solder off and redid the whole thing like a lunatic. Never had an issue again.

So, hit the solder again. Look for a cracked trace near the headers. Make sure any parts you replaced you didn't pull out the thru-hole and it has good continuity on both sides of the board.

You'll squash this bug.

#7 4 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll give it another shot!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 45.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 19.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
$ 59.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!