Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Working on a Bally Black Belt. Forgive me as I don't have much experience working on 6803s. Not mine, but I have seen this pin play recently. It was out on the floor for a while and it was reported to me that either the GI or feature lights went dark. The diagnosis was unclear. It is worth noting that though I don't capture it on the video, some feature lights and some GI do light up on boot sequence. It was wrapped up before I could review any issues and then I brought it home to fix. Anyway, I fire it on, get three flashes from the sound board, nine from the MPU, which is what I am expecting for a successful boot. However, all I get is a repeating trough solenoid firing and a flashing light at the plunger. See video for MPU boot and issue.

Any thoughts? I have reseated everything, put new batteries in (they are off the board and no acid damage), and checked all the fuses.

Here is the video of boot: https://imgur.com/a/b2dXAla

Thanks so much for your help!!!

#2 2 years ago

This would probably qualify as an intermediate repair for someone with experience troubleshooting digital electronic circuits with the proper tools (logic probe/oscilloscope). It could be any number of things, not limited to simply a failed integrated circuit. The ball eject that is pulsing is probably multiplexed with that particular flash lamp. I would probably start by identifying what is happening with the signals at decoder U14, which gets it signals from PIA U7.

#3 2 years ago

Fun stuff! Thanks for the advice. wayout440 is your level of confidence that this will require some significant IC work high? That might be a little beyond my pay grade but I can do light board work, reflow cold solder joints, rebuild molex connectors etc. Does anyone have recommendations per where I may want to start in checking off those types of repairs before I send the board out so I'm not grasping at strands? I don't want to have to jump through that hoop before I am certain that this is the issue.

#4 2 years ago

Update: I have resolved the issue. I don't have a homerun answer, but I just started from scratch. Pulled all molex connectors again, blew everything out, made sure all pins on the boards were extra clean, rebuilt a questionable molex. It was definitely a connection issue somewhere along the way... and as an added bonus, the full GI and feature lights are back. Took a few hours to get everything pristine but it worked. Thanks to wayout440 for taking a crack at helping.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from sleaziep:

Update: I have resolved the issue. I don't have a homerun answer, but I just started from scratch. Pulled all molex connectors again, blew everything out, made sure all pins on the boards were extra clean, rebuilt a questionable molex. It was definitely a connection issue somewhere along the way... and as an added bonus, the full GI and feature lights are back. Took a few hours to get everything pristine but it worked. Thanks to wayout440 for taking a crack at helping.

Your welcome! glad you got it working. If I had to say one word to help anyone, working on any game ever made in history...to help them, and, I'd be spot on perhaps half the time: Connectors!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 59.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
$ 19.00
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!