Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Vic_Camp
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    2E259EF6-5668-430F-9622-3A38A2D9DD24 (resized).jpeg
    FCD01E2B-0B82-4515-9231-095F951C0056 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vic_Camp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 3 years ago

Go below here to this link for pricing.

https://bingo.cdyn.com/market/buying.html

I have collected many Bingos in the last 25 years and still have six left in my collection at the present time. I also spent a large portion of my youth playing them on route.

If you do end up with any of these magnificent games that Bally manufactured from 1951 to 1980, make sure you give yourself a chance to learn about their operation and also how to literally played them or you my pass up a chance at finding out how great a pinball machine they truly are.

FCD01E2B-0B82-4515-9231-095F951C0056 (resized).jpegFCD01E2B-0B82-4515-9231-095F951C0056 (resized).jpeg
    #18 3 years ago

Before trying to start a game either through manually pushing in the start relay, which is normally located in the back box or head of the game on the right hand side or like Nick said by flicking the coin switch...make sure there are all 8 balls in the ball trough. Five of the balls are for regular play and the other 3 are for the 3 extra balls a player can buy in after playing the first 5 balls.

Silver Sails is a very sought after Magic Screen game along with the other most desirable top five Bingos, like Golden Gate, Bikini and a few others I won’t mention.It is also one of the most complicated to learn the features on though. I wouldn’t pass it up.

There isn’t much in the lower cabinet as far as mechanical unit etc... the back box is where most of the game components are that operate the game.

Go here to learn how bingos work.
    http://www.pinballcollectorsresource.com/russ_files/inside.html

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Were bingos available to play anywhere "for amusement", or were they used exclusively for gambling?
    If they were for "amusement," was the bartender paying out free drinks or cash under the table / over the bar?

I grew up in the largest city in NJ called Newark in the late 1960’s up to the 1990’s. I would play a bingo in many establishments like candy stores, hallmark store, Italian cafes, Blue Castle hamburger place, Italian lemon ice/pizzeria place, dinners, bars and any other establishment these vendors could find to place their to run their bingos.

I started playing at them all at age 13. I would take buses around the big city to play at these places, if I had to. All these places would pay you cash for your replays or credits wins on the spot.

I also played bingos on the boardwalk on Seaside Hts in the late 1960’s and 1970’s at a couple of arcades. I remember hitting a 5 in a line on a Bally Dude Ranch bingo and getting paid off with a carton of cigarettes as a prize payment.

I also played a Bally Key West bingo in another boardwalk establishment called fascination and my replays or credits were paid out in redemption tickets for prizes. There were no cash payouts on the boardwalk establishments that I knew of.

I was very addicted to these Bingo pinball machines for many many years and have an astronomical amount of playing time on them and became a very good player, which caused me to be barred from lots of these establishments. Some of the vendors were connect to organized crime, so they made the rules if you were to good of a player. Some would rig and alter Bingos to their favor too.

A tremendous amount of players lost tons of money in these machines and I witnessed this firsthand. When vendors opened up the front door on their bingos coins would pour out from coin boxes being overflowing. Bingos hold the record for the best money earners for any vendor operating them.

#29 3 years ago

Every ball shot into playfield is important, but vary on each individual bingo. The six card games have a kind of different strategy then a magic screen game and that goes for a moving lines or turning corners game, but are similar in leading a player on the right path to in line replays/credits for the players.

Following balls already in a numbered hole can help a player make numbers he needs to win replays. We bingo players call this following the blockers (like in football) you know like when a running back finds the holes lineman create for yardage.Hopefully you understand the scenario.

A player as he plays through the balls in play must view the best path and correct side (left or right or center) when ball leaves is shot through the metal gate at the top of the playfield.Remember this is not a fast pace game at all and a player must think every possible angle to winning replays as he finds the proper path to guide balls into the best numbered hole for in line wins. Each ball before shooting should be a well thoughtful event.

Remember this flipper pinball games are like playing the game checkers and bingo pinball machines are like playing the game of chess. They are totally the opposite.

Anyway, I can go on here with more tips on how to play a bingo, but for sure you’ll have enough to digest with in this post.

In the very beginning stages for learning how to play a bingo pinball machine a player must incorporate lots of time, patience, skill, practice, strong mental capacity and focus, stance and comfort to learn how to guide ball throughout the playfield numbered holes for in line wins/replays/credits.

Learning to Literally play a bingo pinball machine not going to come easy at first and a newcomer to this tough to win at pinball machine could get discouraged and want to give up because winning replays isn’t easy to do.If it were many vendors/operators would have been paying out cash to players all the time and Bally would have been out of the bingo manufacturing business.

Like any other game that is not so easy of game to learn at first (like pool/billiards for example) a player must strive forward through the challenges and push themselves to get over the early stages of the machine defeating them in the beginning.

Go to this links below to try to understand the challenges a bingo pinball machine will bring to the player path to learning.

http://danny.cdyn.com/viccamp.htm
    http://danny.cdyn.com/vicipdb.htm

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

Wow! Great story.
    Any anecdotal info of how much one of these machines would bring in a week?

It would depend on the establishment location and amount of players who were addicted. I’ve seen players lose their entire pay check and sign for an IOU to try to win back their hard earned cash. In the early 1970’s when Bally bingos started manufacturing many new six card bingos for a quarter a play.... I knew all the hot spots throughout the city where a bingo then could bring in thousands a week. Before 1970 six card bingos were a dime play and in the 1950’s were a nickel a play.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

For those that haven't seen Vic play a bingo, you've missed out. I remember at Allentown one year Vic was explaining what he was trying to accomplish on a game, and explained each ball's objective prior to being shot. Hard to describe how Vic magically hit a 5 in line for all to witness, and basically calling each shot. I can't remember the game or the payout, but that was a memorable experience.

Here’s a link to the fantastic fun day at the Allentown show when I got a chance to play Steve Smith’s beautiful Bally Golden Gate magic screen bingo.

http://danny.cdyn.com/shows102k.htm

#38 3 years ago

I remember when High Flyer hit the streets in 1977. Bally added the red diagonal feature which gave us six card players many more chances to win replays for just the maximum cost of 8 quarters.

The nice features included on High Flyer were the super lines, 4 corners score 5 in a line, rollerover buttons light super lines or 4 corners on playfield and double or nothing on your wins at end of game.

It’s a really nice player and being it’s a six card game a newbie will become a better player faster, since six card bingo have many more winning combinations on the game and maximum 8 coins entry with only 5 balls per play make for quicker games than non six card bingos.

I think you will enjoy High Flyer if you put the time into to learn the features and literally learn how to control the ball for replays. I would get the game.
    Check it out in operation. The flippers on this High Flyer were not factory and most likely a vendor added them at some point.

#42 3 years ago

There is a back door that has two locks on it. Bring some WD-40 and lube the locks and keys....One is located on the very top of the back door and the other is on the very bottom of the back door. Hopefully there are keys to unlock the back door. The locks are standard locks like the coin door lock.

There should be a 1” metal ring on the back door that you will need to pull open the back door.

Be very careful when swing open the back door. Silver Sails is one of the heaviest heads on a bingo and could tip the entire game to fall backwards and crash on the floor or yourself.

When opening the back door make sure you are aware of the heavy weight and keep a hand underneath the bottom of the back door for support when opening.

If there are no keys with the game to open the back door, check to see if you can open the back door anyways. Sometime their just in the unlocked position. Hopefully you won’t have to drill the locks out.

Note: there are also locks on the side of the head, one on the right and left wooden side rails that frame around the back glass. You won’t need to do anything with them at the moment. These wooden side rail locks are for access to change bulbs and work on the internal mechanisms.

Once you open the back door, there is also a metal door locking hinge in the very top left side of the back door. This will secure the door fully open.

#44 3 years ago

Here’s a picture of my 1979 Bally (six card) Dixieland to give an ahead time view of what expect when you open up the Silver Sails. It won’t be exactly the same, but similar of the amount of components that will be pack into the back box.

If you are going to inspect and operate the Silver Sails before biding on the game read below a simplified check list on what to look for.
    1) check and make sure all 8 balls are in ball trough.
    2) drop coin in slot or flick coin mechanism thin wire or press start relay located in back box manually to start game.
    3) continue dropping coin or quickly flicking wire coin mechanism or pressing start relay manually to increase green, yellow and red odds values which appear on lower portion of back glass. They will increase at random.
    4) as you continue to drop coins into game etc...watch for feature odds also to light up and appear on back glass...like magic screen positions A,B,C,D,E, and all other features.
    5)at this point go to back box and make sure both 110 volt motors with the small fans are turning and all other components are functioning correctly without any smoke coming from them or sticking and buzzing.
    6) go back to front of game and shoot your 1st ball out.
    7) once 1st ball had been shot through metal top arch gate the playfield the shutter board should close and allow 1st ball to land in numbered hole and be trapped there.
    8) shoot 2nd ball and this ball and the next three balls shot should all be lit on back glass and trapped on playfield.
    9) if any 3 balls are in a vertical or horizontal line on the back glass card the machine should payout the correct odds by pressing the C button on lockdown bar.
    8) if machine pays out correctly then the machine is working so far.
    9) there will be many other things to check in the future on the game, but at least the game is generally functioning.

Watch my video on a Bally Roller Derby Magic screen bingo. It will be helpful if and when you check out the Silver Sails your interested in.

2E259EF6-5668-430F-9622-3A38A2D9DD24 (resized).jpeg2E259EF6-5668-430F-9622-3A38A2D9DD24 (resized).jpeg

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Basically these machines (Besides Williams High Hand, Bally had Twin Joker and Joker's Wild) were "For Amusement Only" but meant for two players to shoot five balls apiece and each get a poker hand that lights up on the backglass. High hand wins a bet between players, Beer, a dollar ($5 these days, "It's only five dollars") etc.

I remember seeing a couple of Twin Jokers on route back in the day. Neither one of them lasted very long at each establishment.

The two main problems were the machines didn’t get much play, which meant hardly any profit at all. The other problem was players that bet against each other for all types of wagers, would end up in a verbal or physical fight because sometimes one player wouldn’t pay up the bet. Owners of the establishments knew this was bad for business and the game didn’t last more than a week.Twin Joker was a complete flop for Bally.

A buddy of mine had very nice condition Twin Joker in his collection recently, which I had located for him from PA collector about 5 years ago. I would always play the game when I was there and enjoyed the game a lot. He also had a factory topper on it that was very cool. Last year he was force to sell the game since he moved into a smaller home. If I had the room for it, I would have bought it. It actually was a nice player for home use.

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Basically these machines (Besides Williams High Hand, Bally had Twin Joker and Joker's Wild) were "For Amusement Only" but meant for two players to shoot five balls apiece and each get a poker hand that lights up on the backglass. High hand wins a bet between players, Beer, a dollar ($5 these days, "It's only five dollars") etc.

I found a picture of my buddy’s Twin Joker with the Bally factory topper on it. Not the best picture, but...

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #54 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

That's a nice looking Blue Chip he has there. Let him know I have an extra NOS backglass for it.

I actually bought the game off of him about 5 years ago and had in my collection awhile and loved it, but ended up having to sell it. If my memory is right the back glass was perfect. Thanks for letting me know about your NOS back glass. I’ll keep it in mind.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Nice looking games Vic. If possible, could you please get a good photo of the topper for the IPDB? Thanks! Dennis

I will certainly look for more pictures of the Twin Joker, if I can find them and post them on IPDB. Might time sometime...

#56 3 years ago

Found another picture of Twin Joker.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vic_Camp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bingo-machines-market-value?tu=Vic_Camp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.