By KYBingo

3 weeks ago

Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by Vic_Camp
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170803_151841 (resized).jpg
    20170803_084248 (resized).jpg

#1 21 days ago

When I was young and living along the Carolina coast (USA) I would trade in pop bottles to get nickels to play the bingo games in the beach bars before they opened. The Golden Gate was my favorite. I grew older and the bingo games disappeared (Hey, that's gambling and not legal here!). A year or so ago I saw a bally bingo game for sale. I went to see it and figured all the pieces were there and took it home. It is in my garage and I am ready to begin restoration. I am guessing I have a lot to learn. By joining this forum I am beginning my education. I have a lot of questions.

Thanks for welcoming me.

#2 21 days ago

Welcome! Feel free to ask away, happy to help.

#3 21 days ago

Glad to have you here! Do you have any photos of how it sits now so we can see what you're up against?

#4 21 days ago

Welcome! You have just crossed over into... Wait, wrong game!

But prepare for a challenge, a massive learning experience, and good deal of fun!
    The BINGO is a unique beast unto itself. The very reason that I tracked down mine. And a story not too unlike yours!

#5 21 days ago

Nice find...Can you post some pictures?

#6 21 days ago

welcome aboard

#7 21 days ago

I have two lagunas for parts.

#8 21 days ago

How the heck did you get in a beach bar before it opened? I never had that kind of luck.

#9 21 days ago

I've got a mint reproduction Laguna Beach backglass if you need one.

#10 14 days ago

Here is how it sits in the garage. Not a pretty sight; however, I have a vision to have it up and playing. So let the project begin!! I have (sandwiched in corrugated cardboard) the glass. Both the piece that covers the playing field and the back glass. They look in good condition. It appears the someone along the way put a new bottom on and fabricated a new end where the coin door is (I think a conversion made this game take quarters). I will begin this project with a few little steps:

1) To begin, I will clean out the cobwebs and dust out the machine. Would I just use a blower? I will read any and all threads on cleaning the electrical components. I hope this can be done without disassembling too much.
    2) Then I noticed that the electrical cord is missing. I have seen where some are concerned with grounding the machine. I will place a cord on order from one of the parts suppliers.
    3) I thought that in order to know what works and what doesn't, I should start with all fresh light bulbs. #47 and #96 (if I am reading the markings correctly) populate the machine now. Is there a map that tells me how many of what bulb goes where? I read that #44 is the preferred bulb from the manufacture; however, the #47s are cooler. Some of the #96s look like they have been painted red. Do I just count the bulbs of each shape and then begin swapping them out?
    4) Before I go too far, I will address some of the external cosmetics. On line I have found some examples of the Laguna Beach machines. Some have more colors, some have less. My boxes are flaking and I want to stabilize/repaint to an authentic motif.

Well, that is where I am headed. Please give your advice and suggestions. This is my first time to this dance. I will add more images as I uncover and explore.

20170803_084248 (resized).jpg

#11 14 days ago

You need red bulbs in the six positions on the upper left of the backboard. They will coincide with the "red letter game" available based on the green odds position (and if the "OK" feature is lit). I think some machines require 47's for these bulbs, but I'm not sure about Laguna. There may be a tag indicating this. Not sure about what a "96" bulb is, that doesn't sound right at all. 47's will work everywhere but they aren't as bright, for home use I usually switch out to 55's for more pop since the machine isn't running day and night. You'll need 1458's or 1464's for the numbers 1-25 on the bingo grid.

Unless someone can correct me, I see no reason to go to the trouble of ordering a cord online, just go down to the store and pick up and extension cord and cut the end off. I've been working with these machines for 35 years and never had a problem.

Schematics and manuals are available at https://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/laguna_beach/

Good luck and welcome.

#12 14 days ago

I just learned something new myself - I thought all the red letter lamp circuits required a 47 for the clear bulb and a 55 for the red bulb. Laguna has no documentation stating this that I can find. That's very interesting, but I don't see why they would change that circuit and then change it back later. The 55 bulbs have a more rounded 'globe' appearance.

#13 14 days ago

Whoops, I had it backwards!

#14 14 days ago

Congrats! You picked one of the more difficult types of pinball machine
    to restore but you'll have a much better appreciation for them once
    you find out how they work.

Lots of experienced folks here. The first thing to get is a schematic if
    you don't already have one. Before applying power suggest looking it
    over for broken or burned wires and other obvious problems.
    Steve

#15 14 days ago

Thanks for the suggestion (and instructions) for installing a power cord. I will have that at the ready in the morning. Schematics and manuals will be ordered.

This machine WILL be for home use. Your suggestions on the light bulbs (I will be looking for the 55's). I hadn't dug into the bulbs behind the bingo grid. I will look for those that have the 'greater pop'. (1458 or 1464's) Here is an image of the bulbs I called #96s. As you can see, some are painted (?) red. Will I need to paint bulbs red.. and if so, with what?

20170803_151841 (resized).jpg

#16 14 days ago

Those are 55s - for the red letter circuit, to clear up any confusion - you need a matching pair of bulbs behind each letter in the six letters of 'Laguna'.

One red 55, and one clear 47. Any other combination of bulbs will not work.

I use acrylic paint on the red letters - either painted with a broad brush to reduce strokes or dipped (even better). Give it a little time to dry (doesn't take long) and you'll be good to go.

They used to make a red envelope for those 55s, but no longer sell them. Or at least I haven't found them the last 1000 times I've checked (with specialty bulb suppliers).

#17 14 days ago

For the grid, it doesn't make much difference. The 1464's are available new, the 1458's not sure but I don't think so. The schematic and manual are free for download at the site I linked. It's the go-to for all things bingo and run by a great guy. I have successfully used automotive engine paint to do the red coating, it's heat resistant and has worked for me. Right off hand i don't know of anywhere to buy the colored 55's. BTW, I wouldn't just automatically change out the 1458's, or whatever is there now. The bulbs are expensive and the newer ones aren't as reliable. I'd say if they work, leave them in after cleaning any crap off.

#18 14 days ago
    Quoted from okorange:

For the grid, it doesn't make much difference. The 1464's are available new, the 1458's not sure but I don't think so. The schematic and manual are free for download at the site I linked. It's the go-to for all things bingo and run by a great guy. I have successfully used automotive engine paint to do the red coating, it's heat resistant and has worked for me. Right off hand i don't know of anywhere to buy the colored 55's. BTW, I wouldn't just automatically change out the 1458's, or whatever is there now. The bulbs are expensive and the newer ones aren't as reliable. I'd say if they work, leave them in after cleaning any crap off.

I do not recommend 55's for ANY application. Location or home use. Especially if you have an old bubbling or peeling backglass. Which most are. Way too hot. Sure, 55's are brighter. And they will be REALLY bright when they burn through the ink on your backglass!

#19 14 days ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I do not recommend 55's for ANY application.

Except the red letter circuit, right? Really trying not to confuse that one exception to the rest of the lamps.

The bingo cards run at 17V (1464)

Another opinion: I use 47s in my games at home in the other (flexible) 6V positions. Because any 6V bayonet lamp will do, you are free to choose what you will. 44s are about as hot as 55s, but even more concentrated. 47s are cooler, but less bright. 55s are about as bright as 44s, maybe a touch brighter due to construction.

#20 14 days ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Except the red letter circuit, right? Really trying not to confuse that one exception to the rest of the lamps.
    The bingo cards run at 17V (1464)
    Another opinion: I use 47s in my games at home in the other (flexible) 6V positions. Because any 6V bayonet lamp will do, you are free to choose what you will. 44s are about as hot as 55s, but even more concentrated. 47s are cooler, but less bright. 55s are about as bright as 44s, maybe a touch brighter due to construction.

That is correct Nick. Only the red letter. I bought some red 44's a while back but have not tried them out yet. Might be too dim.

#21 14 days ago

Dennis, never had any problems. However, my games are used sparsely, so there's that. I know the arguments, though, and I agree with the assessment regarding backglasses that are weak to begin with.

#22 13 days ago

Good inputs (I have started a chart to identify what SHOULD go where).

My thought was to replace all the lamps because I was unsure of what worked and what didn't. By replacing all the lamps, I wold be sure that it was NOT the lamp that was a problem. Remember I am new to this. I started looking at bulbs last night and found that some of them were real beggars to get out of the bayonet sockets. I saw that there is a tool that can help. WHat is it called and where can I find one?

Off to get an extension cord.

Moving the machine around will be a challenge. Suggestions?? I thought I saw a motor cycle lift under one machine.

#23 13 days ago

I use these type of three wheel skates once I have the machine together and need to work on it for any period of time. It is easy to turn and move the game with these skates.

You might want to spend a few dollars extra and get the heavy duty type or the cheap ones will not last but a few minutes since a bingo is a heavy pinball machine.

amazon.com link »

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.