(Topic ID: 58586)

Bally Bingo Card...... changing the bulbs ?

By JKnPA

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by JKnPA
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
WP_20130107_001.jpg
Sun_Valley_004a.jpg
Sun_Valley_004a.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Just joined........ looks like a nice site.
Question.......... How do I reach the bulbs behind the Bingo Card on my 'Big Time' ?
I opened the back...... I see the bulbs, but access is difficult.
I removed the Backglass, but the bulbs are still behind the Card lens.
* Do I have to remove something else ?
Thanks,
John

#2 10 years ago

John,
You can download the manual here and loads of other details here:
http://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/big_time/
That might help. There is usually a card stapled to the inside of the head describing what to do to change the lamps. Open the back door and have a look for it. I'm not sure if it's the same moving lines on Big Time but the F line on my Sun Valley is a moving line. It is a vertical plastic number strip fixed to a pin at the bottom by a circlip. I have to remove the circlip and slide the strip out from its guide to access the lamps. Then, as they are about 1" deep in the screen, I made a tool from some rubber tube to grab, turn and remove them. I use the same to fit new ones. Don't forget they are special lamps in the screen, not standard 6 volt lamps. You can get them from PBR, number 1464 is what you need.
If you post an image of the screen, we might be able to tell more how you do it.

#3 10 years ago

Nick,
Thank you for the quick response.
I have that site 'bookmarked'.
I didn't see a card inside the back.
Yes..... all 5 vertical lines move, that is why I bought it..... LOL.
Is the clip accessed from the front or the back of the machine ?

#4 10 years ago

Edited to remove duplicate post

#5 10 years ago

Mate,
On my game, it's behind the back glass but I don't know if Big Time works the same. I've attached an image of the F line on my game, the only moving line that works that way. All the others are magic squares, even the E line.
If you look at the bottom of the plastic number strip, you can see a slot. A pin pokes through the slot with a circlip to hold the line on. I have to remove the circlip, bend the line forward a little and slide it down. If yours are the same, put a sheet over the playfield glass before removing and especially refitting it. They're real difficult to re fit and easily dropped. The sheet stops the circlip bouncing off, never to be found again.
If you post an image of the screen on yours, we may be able to see how you access the lamps, if it's different to mine.

Sun_Valley_004a.jpgSun_Valley_004a.jpg

#6 10 years ago

That photo brings a tear to my eye. Those machines are engineering marvels.

#7 10 years ago

That looks the same as my cypress gardens bulbs were a PITa to change out

WP_20130107_001.jpgWP_20130107_001.jpg

#8 10 years ago

Ok............... photos included.

IMG_1634.JPGIMG_1634.JPG

#9 10 years ago

There is a small cotter pin behind the slide, but if I take it out I don't see how I will ever get it back in.............LOl.
There are two screws at the top of each vertical column. Maybe i take those out to remove the entire vertical column ? Yes , No , maybe.
Other photos......I tried to load them together....sorry!

IMG_1636.JPGIMG_1636.JPG IMG_1635.JPGIMG_1635.JPG IMG_1633.JPGIMG_1633.JPG

#10 10 years ago

The two screws at the top of the vertical numbers column.
Maybe I take those out to pull-back the entire column to see the bulbs.
That would be a lot easier than removing that small cotter pin...... IMHO.....

IMG_1639.JPGIMG_1639.JPG

#11 10 years ago

Those lines work completely different to Sun Valley which is clutch driven from a motor via a lock / release coil. Looks to me like you have to change those lamps from the front, not inside the box. I reckon a slim pair of pointed pliers would remove those spring clips. Use a mirror to see how the fit if you can't tell. Then you could slide the lines up or down (whichever it has to be, can't tell from the images) to get at the lamps. I would magnetize the plier tips first, just in case. If it's only a couple of lamps need changing and you can get at them from inside the box, it might be worth unsoldering the lamp holders, undoing the two screws and removing the holder / lamp. Again, magnetize the screw driver first.

Mr Bally, American engineering at its finest. Still working and very little wear after nearly sixty years. The search disc and other parts have been turning constantly all the time that game was switched on and they still show very little wear. Even some of the leather clutch washers are original and still good. They don't build much like that any more.

Way2wyrd, yes mate, same as Cypress Gardens but with an extra F line. Bulbs are a pain to change.

#12 10 years ago

What about the two screws at the top ?
It would have been nice if the manual would have included that . Did the new service man have to guess about things like this ?

#13 10 years ago

I reckon there will also be screws at the bottom and most likely in the middle, maybe several pairs. They won't be accessible until the number strips are removed. Undoing the top two and bending the alloy guide will probably damage it.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

I reckon there will also be screws at the bottom and most likely in the middle, maybe several pairs. They won't be accessible until the number strips are removed. Undoing the top two and bending the alloy guide will probably damage it.

You are probably correct.............
If I find the answer, I will post it here for ' future use'..........

Thanks guys...

#15 10 years ago

Mate, try a post here. There are a lot of knowlegable members, one of whom, I am sure, will have the answer.
http://ballybingo.fff.yuku.com/

#16 10 years ago

You need to replace lamps on a Miss America series with two cards or a magic screen with OK feature.

#17 10 years ago

You are probably correct.............If I find the answer, I will post it here for ' future use'..........
Thanks guys...

Ok.......... I got.
You have to remove the little ( very little) clip at the top of the plastic card with the numbers on it. The clip fits in a metal slot, when you push down it snaps on the metal rod that goes thru the the top of the plastic card.
It was quite easy. just don't drop that clip..........LOL.
See photo.......

IMG_1634.JPGIMG_1634.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bingo-card-changing-the-bulbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.