(Topic ID: 128800)

Bally Bell Posts - Would someone please make these?

By shimoda

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Riptor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmp_14403-20150630_174542-1-1990591689.jpg
    tmp_14403-20150630_174555-1-355003051.jpg
    tmp_14403-20150630_174620-1-1201430465.jpg
    IMG_3923.JPG
    standoff post.jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Got a Paragon that is missing a clear guide and the bell posts Bally used to use to mount these and other plastics. Stern used the same thing in the early SS era but now they are unobtanium. You can reuse them if you have them but the entire piece is missing on my game and I'm wondering why no-one has these available. Not sure the tooling it would take but wondering where they originally were produced. If anyone has a few I could buy let me know. Otherwise it would be nice to find a manufacturer that would make them again.

#2 8 years ago

See if Pinball Salvage has a clear piece with several still attached and remove them with a pencil soldering iron.

#3 8 years ago

You could always use a stack of flat washers. :rolleyes:

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

You could always use a stack of flat washers. :rolleyes:

Or saw a star post in half...

#5 8 years ago

I have also often wondered why these were not available.

#6 8 years ago

Could someone put together one as a 3D model and toss it up on shapeways? I know Swinks did a handful of different parts.

#7 8 years ago

It could be done 3D printed pretty easily I'd imagine but wouldn't look right next to metal ones. Just would like to see them available at a reasonable price for restores/repairs.

#8 8 years ago

A few years ago I was in a real pinch mid game assembly so I single flared some aluminum tubing I had in the garage to get the bell shape, cut them to length, but a bolt though them, chucked the bolt in to a drill and spun polished them with varying grits of fine sandpaper and installed them. Took a long time but, truth be told, after I'd finished assembly I had a hard time telling which ones I'd made.

Oh, and a few weeks later I found a bunch of used ones from a vendor at Pin A Go Go.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

I had a hard time telling which ones I'd made

pics or it did not happen

#10 8 years ago

Someone here who does stamping for a living needs to make up a die set for these.

#11 8 years ago

Have a picture of one?

#13 8 years ago

If someone knows where I can get one I can look into making them...

#14 8 years ago

i have some old ones fused to some old phoenix plastics I have laying around I could send you one if you wanted.

#15 8 years ago

That'd be fine. I can send it back when I'm done. Cost would just be a quantity issue. Plating is by the batch, so the bigger the batch the cheaper per piece. Looks like a simple item though, I could probably knock a bunch out pretty quick once a die is made. If it's clear zinc plated, I could throw them in with other stuff I have done and plating wouldnt add any extra cost.

#16 8 years ago

the williams and bally ones are not the same.

#17 8 years ago

I ended up just using Clear Acrylic tubing on my Star Trek: Mirror Universe.
    I agree; they should be made available - but I think it's a cost vs reward problem. Making these would probably require a stamp machine and a special "rivet" tool to attach to the plastic.

#18 8 years ago

Would they have to be physically attached to the plastice? Seems like the pressure from tightening them down with the screw/post would hold them in place...?

Let me see what I can do - I may have a source. What is a reasonable price to pay for each?

-scott

#19 8 years ago

No they don't have to be pressed into the plastic like the originals were. The tension from the screw holds them perfectly in place.

#20 8 years ago

As mentioned, the top could be just tall enough, say 1/16" or so to keep the plastic positioned, no flaring needed. Would be nice to see the cost below $1 each but around there would be doable easy. Hard to say really, it would just be great for these to be available again. Again, no riveting necessary.

The Stern ones are the same as Bally I believe, the Williams ones are narrower. I could get a sample to someone for the Williams ones but I think Bally/Stern are going to be more sought after.

#21 8 years ago

If they're different, I'd need one of each and just make both. I wouldn't bother making the crimp top. Then everyone would need a tool to attach them and there's no benefit to that.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i have some old ones fused to some old phoenix plastics I have laying around I could send you one if you wanted.

Neo, you can send it to:

Reilly Motorsports, Inc
    2323 White Haven rd
    White Haven, PA. 19661

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from BillR:

If they're different, I'd need one of each and just make both. I wouldn't bother making the crimp top. Then everyone would need a tool to attach them and there's no benefit to that.

Neo, you can send it to:
    Reilly Motorsports, Inc
    2323 White Haven rd
    White Haven, PA. 19661

Thanks for looking into/doing this. Even though Bally are more the ones I need, I'll pull one from a Williams and send it your way.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Thanks for looking into/doing this. Even though Bally are more the ones I need, I'll pull one from a Williams and send it your way.

No problem I'll work on it, and I'm sure a bally one will materialize at some point.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from BillR:

Neo, you can send it to:
    Reilly Motorsports, Inc
    2323 White Haven rd
    White Haven, PA. 19661

will do, i'll try and get it out today.

#25 8 years ago

Okay, so Phoenix is a Williams. I will pull one from a Bally game to send for repro so that can be done. It'll be from a currently owned game so I'll need it back

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Okay, so Phoenix is a Williams. I will pull one from a Bally game to send for repro so that can be done. It'll be from a currently owned game so I'll need it back

No parts will be harmed in the making of this item

#27 8 years ago

ok, I just pulled out the piece and it looks different than the gottlieb ones. This one is 1" 1/4" tall. That still going to be useful?

standoff post.jpgstandoff post.jpg
    #28 8 years ago

So am I to believe there's a Williams one, and then stern/ballys/gottlieb? I'll make some Williams ones NEO, if it's useful for someone. Not sure how many games have them. But it would be cheapest to make both styles and have them all plated at once.

#29 8 years ago

well the ones on the Galaxy I had were short. Like 1/2" and not connected to the plastic. also flared out on both ends.

#30 8 years ago

Ok, so there are a few then. I'll make what I get, can always do something else later if needed. Especially if the flare and od are the same.

#31 8 years ago

I need to pull a Bally one for you and can do that hopefully this week (early) and get in the mail to you. Bally will likely be the most sought after since they were used in sterns as well. I haven't seen the taller Williams one like that but I have a shorter one from a Williams. Galaxy would have used the same as Bally.

#32 8 years ago

Ok, I'll work on whatever shapes I get

#34 8 years ago

These bell stand-offs appear to be progressive stamped from stainless. I'm sure those stamping dies are long gone by now.

#35 8 years ago

They aren't stamped really. They drawn over a mandrel and then a second die is rammed down over it to form the bottom flare and pinch the top. A third die trims the bottom flare to size. They are made from brass and then nickel-chrome plated. There are metal fab shops that make brass grommets so could likely make the bell spacers too. I'll bet someone with more time than me could source them but be prepared for probably a 10,000 piece run to justify the cost. I hope someone can take it on

#36 8 years ago

Cliffy....that's basically what I meant to say....and knowing your knowledge of metals, I'm never going to arguewith you.

My strength/career has always been in design/cnc milling.

I worked for a company whose main selling products was welding tips for the robots used in auto manufacturing....man I always hated walking thu that area....you couldn't hear yourself think with all stamping/extruding going on.

#37 8 years ago

I wish I had never sold my Tennsmith brake and shear. Years after I sold it, I'm in the pinball hobby once gain. Sure could use that equipment now.

#38 8 years ago

Once I have a look at them I'll decide, if the dies required are simple I'll likely do it here so I can make small batches when needed. If it requires a more complex process I can cash in a favor or two with some suppliers. Either way, in the end it's the plating that becomes the cost issue. Making a small number is easy but the plating is $125 minimum. Even at 1000 pieces they'd likely cost $2.50 or $3ea. But if I can make them from steel tube and clear zinc them it'd be cheap. I send alot of stuff to be zinc plated at work and could toss them in for no extra cost. But that will only work if the zinc is shiny enough to match the original.

#39 8 years ago

All we can do is try to help you try to get them made, that is good enough for me. I pulled one of the posts (Bally) and will try to get it in the mail tomorrow, Tuesday latest.

Mark

#40 8 years ago

Bally made at least two different sizes. Anyone with an EBD could tell you that.

IMG_3923.JPGIMG_3923.JPG
    #41 8 years ago

My ebd used the same size bottom and top there, the bigger one.

#42 8 years ago

EBD should have the smaller diameter posts on top...not both being the same size.

#43 8 years ago

Interesting. Well I only have a larger one to send.

#45 8 years ago

I'll let you know I get them...

4 weeks later
    #46 8 years ago

Here's a quickie sample. The cost of making multiple die sets for each style would be too high. So cheapest and easiest way is to spin them in brass and then nickel plate. It should be pretty reasonable, I'll be able to figure some costs in the next couple days.

tmp_14403-20150630_174620-1-1201430465.jpgtmp_14403-20150630_174620-1-1201430465.jpg

tmp_14403-20150630_174555-1-355003051.jpgtmp_14403-20150630_174555-1-355003051.jpg

tmp_14403-20150630_174542-1-1990591689.jpgtmp_14403-20150630_174542-1-1990591689.jpg

#47 8 years ago

Great work, thanks for doing this.

2 weeks later
    #49 8 years ago

Any pics of the shorter, fatter Bally posts? Thanks again for looking into this.

1 week later
    #50 8 years ago

Sorry for the delay, I've been traveling for work almost the entire month of July. Thankfully I'm done visiting airports for the year LOL
    I'm currently making files of them in solidworks, then I can return the samples and get them made. Much easier.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bell-posts-would-someone-please-make-these and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.