You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

btbb (resized).jpg
btbd (resized).jpg
bttop (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

The Simpson County Historical Society has a bingo machine in their little museum. I was contacted to come check it out because a guy I used to help move pianos referred me. I'm not a bingo guy myself. I have a decent bit of knowledge on EMs, but that thing was beyond my expertise(or lack there-of). Either way, they need some help. I told them I'd pass the word. I went in and cleaned a LOT of contacts. It only had one stepper unit that was locked up, so I got that cleaned up and moving freely. I think at some point someone put the wrong size balls in it. I didn't know how many balls that machine needed either. I was able to trick it into starting a game, but as I've never played a bingo style game, I had no idea what I was looking at to tell if it was working lol. Either way, if there's anyone in the central KY area that wouldn't mind helping out a museum, they could really use some help. PM me for details. I have a few pictures and can share more details. I'm sure they'd be willing to pay.

btbb (resized).jpgbtbb (resized).jpgbtbd (resized).jpgbtbd (resized).jpgbttop (resized).jpgbttop (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

They are beasts.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

They are beasts.

So nice on the outside though. I love the ladies on this one lol.

#4 1 year ago

It requires 8 1-1/8" balls to start properly.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

It requires 8 1-1/8" balls to start properly.

That's good to know. It only had 6. I noticed when you go to buy a rubber kit from ebay for it, it only comes with 5. That really got me confused.

#6 1 year ago

I’m always amazed that anyone back then could figure out how to play these machines. One shows up at a local gas station and what? You just start putting in nickles and figure it out as you go? I stand in front of them and have no idea what is going on.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

I’m always amazed that anyone back then could figure out how to play these machines. One shows up at a local gas station and what? You just start putting in nickles and figure it out as you go? I stand in front of them and have no idea what is going on.

Same! I still don't know what half the numbers across the bottom of the backglass are for lol.

#8 1 year ago

The backglass shows almost everything needed to play the game, and the score and instruction cards fill in the gaps. That said, they are extremely featureful games.

The numbers at the bottom of the glass show you what you will win in each colored line. The smallest number is the amount for three in a row, the middle number is for four in a row, and the top is for five in a row.

The features on the backglass give the player control to change the layout of the number card on the backglass, and hopefully reposition things appropriately. Each letter corresponds to a button on the footrail. The letters have to be lit, and the first ball has to be in play before the footrail buttons allow the player to move those quadrants/sections.

With A-F, every number on the backglass can be physically moved or rotated. This is particularly powerful for the center number, 16. Rotating that to the easier 13 allows for more connections, so I typically try to acquire through letter D and then rotate that one into center. However, the center number only applies to the green odds. The rotating numbers can only be moved until shooting the indicated ball. After fifth is best, and allows you to win in multiple colors.

Shooting a number or two adjacent squares gives you the best set up for a 3-in-a-row. Capitalizing on that takes skill and dedication. The ability to purchase a chance at receiving an extra ball can be helpful, but it's important to be mindful of how much you're spending to acquire one extra chance. Depending on how things line up and the mechanical portioning involved, it can take more than a dollar to get a single extra chance.

Beach Time also includes 'stop 'n shop', which allows you to play the game to a certain point, then put in more money to try to increase your odds.

The Ballyhole feature, when lit, gives you A-F on your -next- game. It's a carryover feature.

Beach Time was the last traditional Magic Squares game that Bally made, and in my opinion, one of the most generous and helpful to the player. Earlier games allowed you to rotate the numbers in the corners, or were missing the F line, lacked stop 'n shop, etc. There is one game Bally made after this that utilized the Magic Squares, Bonanza, and it is a very different game in many ways.

The instruction card on the left shows what the features do and when to use them, the score card on the right shows the reward for using those features skillfully. The gameplay is very tense and difficult. You have to modify the balls' path on the fly to achieve the number you desire, or bring it all the way to the bottom to be reshot. Hitting the wrong number means that your entire strategy might need to be rethought.

There's nothing quite like them in the world of pinball.

#9 1 year ago

The backglass shows almost everything needed to play the game, and the score and instruction cards fill in the gaps. That said, they are extremely featureful games.
The numbers at the bottom of the glass show you what you will win in each colored line. The smallest number is the amount for three in a row, the middle number is for four in a row, and the top is for five in a row.
The features on the backglass give the player control to change the layout of the number card on the backglass, and hopefully reposition things appropriately. Each letter corresponds to a button on the footrail. The letters have to be lit, and the first ball has to be in play before the footrail buttons allow the player to move those quadrants/sections.
With A-F, every number on the backglass can be physically moved or rotated. This is particularly powerful for the center number, 16. Rotating that to the easier 13 allows for more connections, so I typically try to acquire through letter D and then rotate that one into center. However, the center number only applies to the green odds. The rotating numbers can only be moved until shooting the indicated ball. After fifth is best, and allows you to win in multiple colors.
Shooting a number or two adjacent squares gives you the best set up for a 3-in-a-row. Capitalizing on that takes skill and dedication. The ability to purchase a chance at receiving an extra ball can be helpful, but it's important to be mindful of how much you're spending to acquire one extra chance. Depending on how things line up and the mechanical portioning involved, it can take more than a dollar to get a single extra chance.
Beach Time also includes 'stop 'n shop', which allows you to play the game to a certain point, then put in more money to try to increase your odds.
The Ballyhole feature, when lit, gives you A-F on your -next- game. It's a carryover feature.
Beach Time was the last traditional Magic Squares game that Bally made, and in my opinion, one of the most generous and helpful to the player. Earlier games allowed you to rotate the numbers in the corners, or were missing the F line, lacked stop 'n shop, etc. There is one game Bally made after this that utilized the Magic Squares, Bonanza, and it is a very different game in many ways.
The instruction card on the left shows what the features do and when to use them, the score card on the right shows the reward for using those features skillfully. The gameplay is very tense and difficult. You have to modify the balls' path on the fly to achieve the number you desire, or bring it all the way to the bottom to be reshot. Hitting the wrong number means that your entire strategy might need to be rethought.

That's a great explanation! I had no idea on that stuff. I'm definitely going to pass this on to them.

2 weeks later
#10 1 year ago

This is awesome. I’m glad there are people out there like you that understand and are enthusiastic about keeping these machines relevant in the hobby.

I don’t think I’ll get there myself but I respect them and their place in history!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-beach-time-in-franklin-ky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.