Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25555CD0-DB20-43BA-AE57-ED4A5F07CC9B (resized).jpeg
Bally Bazaar score reels (resized).jpg
F940D5DD-2AEF-49A7-B844-B89060227E31 (resized).jpeg
BB843F19-3FB1-4BDA-A270-E71C6EF5A107 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I have a Bally Bazaar pinball machine. While playing the other night, it started making a buzzing noise. When the game ended and I tried to start a new game, the score motor unit would continue to spin and it would not reset the score reels. I manually reset the score reels and now the game will play, but it will not keep score. It just buzzes. I looked in the back and do find a grey and blue wire that seems to be disconnected. It is located just below the score reels. I do have the schematics, but don’t know how to read them. I have attached a picture. Any advice would be appreciated.
BB843F19-3FB1-4BDA-A270-E71C6EF5A107 (resized).jpegBB843F19-3FB1-4BDA-A270-E71C6EF5A107 (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Pintime74:

It just buzzes.

Which specific component is the buzz coming from?

#3 4 years ago

Those are jumper wires to change the score settings to award a credit by score.

Is it just one score reel won't award points? I would suspect either a solder joint at the score reel came loose or the coil burned out.

Do you have an Ohm meter?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The buzzing is coming from relays on the right side of the backbox. I assume one for each of the score reels.

F940D5DD-2AEF-49A7-B844-B89060227E31 (resized).jpegF940D5DD-2AEF-49A7-B844-B89060227E31 (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Is it just one score reel won't award points? I would suspect either a solder joint at the score reel came loose or the coil burned out.

None of the score reels will award points. I do have an ohm meter.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

It appears that those relays or coils will close when point should be awarded and make the buzzing sound.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Should I pull each score reel and check them?

#8 4 years ago

It sounds like you have a stuck switch on the playfield. A stuck switch would cause the score relay to stay energized. Go through all your playfield switches and confirm they are open.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

It sounds like you have a stuck switch on the playfield. A stuck switch would cause the score relay to stay energized. Go through all your playfield switches and confirm they are open.

I am checking the playfield switches now. Prior to manually setting the score reels to zero, the score motor unit would run continuously. I unplugged the plugs for the door and playfield and the score motor unit would continue to run. When I unplugged the plugs for the backbox the score motor unit would turn for a second and then stop. With this I has assumed it must be in the backbox. Would it still be in the playfield if the score motor unit continues to run with the plugs for the playfield disconnected?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Pintime74:

The buzzing is coming from relays on the right side of the backbox. I assume one for each of the score reels.[quoted image]

Zooming in on them relays, one clearly says 100 point and I can see the bottom 2 are similar ( I can see "point" ... probably 1 point , 10 point .... I'm thinking nothing on the playfield alone scores 1,000 points and advances when the 100-reel is at 9)

I can't read the top label it maybe the reset relay

Quoted from edednedy:

Do any solenoids fire now? perhaps a stuck switch kept a couple solenoids closed & blew a fuse

With the Ohm meter first check the fuses & then the coils on all the score reels & the bell you should have a small amount of resistance between the 2 lugs.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Pintime74:

I am checking the playfield switches now. Prior to manually setting the score reels to zero, the score motor unit would run continuously. I unplugged the plugs for the door and playfield and the score motor unit would continue to run. When I unplugged the plugs for the backbox the score motor unit would turn for a second and then stop. With this I has assumed it must be in the backbox. Would it still be in the playfield if the score motor unit continues to run with the plugs for the playfield disconnected?

Two different problems. The score reels not resetting to zero, causes your score motor to run non-stop. Manually setting them to zero, stops the score motor, completing the reset. After that, something is causing the relay in the backbox to stay on. If it is a "Points" relay, you probably have a switch closed on the playfield. Or the hold switch on the relay itself may be closed. You'll have to figure out what specific relay is stuck on. It will be warmer than the others.

The reason why the score motor continued to run with the playfield unplugged was probably because it was still trying to reset the score reels to zero. Try manually resetting the score reels to zero and then try it again with the playfield unplugged.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Two different problems. The score reels not resetting to zero, causes your score motor to run non-stop. Manually setting them to zero, stops the score motor, completing the reset. After that, something is causing the relay in the backbox to stay on. If it is a "Points" relay, you probably have a switch closed on the playfield. Or the hold switch on the relay itself may be closed. You'll have to figure out what specific relay is stuck on. It will be warmer than the others.
The reason why the score motor continued to run with the playfield unplugged was probably because it was still trying to reset the score reels to zero. Try manually resetting the score reels to zero and then try it again with the playfield unplugged.

I am checking the switches on the playfield, but haven’t found anything yet. The game will start and and play as normal until the ball hits something to advance the score reels. At that point the relay will engage and buzz, but the score reel will not advance. It will do this for any of the point relays. Would it still be a closed switch on the playfield if it will play normally at the start of the game?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Zooming in on them relays, one clearly says 100 point and I can see the bottom 2 are similar ( I can see "point" ... probably 1 point , 10 point .... I'm thinking nothing on the playfield alone scores 1,000 points and advances when the 100-reel is at 9)
I can't read the top label it maybe the reset relay

Do any solenoids fire now? perhaps a stuck switch kept a couple solenoids closed & blew a fuse
With the Ohm meter first check the fuses & then the coils on all the score reels & the bell you should have a small amount of resistance between the 2 lugs.

You are correct. I checked and the relays are labeled 1 point, 10 point, 100 point, and reset. I checked the fuses with a meter, but all seem to be good.

What solenoids are you referring? Do you mean solenoids at the score reels, or in the picture with the point labels?

#14 4 years ago

First I thought any solenoid but see on the schematic they are on same fuse with the score motor.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=201

if the point relays activate with a corresponding playfield switch (1 point, 10 point, 100 point) perhaps a bad connection at a "jones plug"

Bally Bazaar score reels (resized).jpgBally Bazaar score reels (resized).jpg
#15 4 years ago

Thanks for all the help guys! I found the problem. I had a wire come loose in the backbox. It’s back up and running again! Thanks again!

25555CD0-DB20-43BA-AE57-ED4A5F07CC9B (resized).jpeg25555CD0-DB20-43BA-AE57-ED4A5F07CC9B (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bazaar-score-reels-wont-advance?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.