New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 277633)

Bally Backglass Clear Coat or not

By fast70

32 days ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 32 days ago

I have a Bally black jack pinball in good shape was wounding about clear coating the back glass. it is original very good condition. bright and vibrant on the colors. very very little flaking. no touch-up attempted. clear coat. or not???????

#2 32 days ago

The advice I wish someone told me when I tried this...
    “Leave it be”

#4 32 days ago

it has lasted this long, why risk it?

#5 32 days ago

I never do anything to a backglass that is intact. If it's fine, I leave it alone.

Using triple thick to seal the paint is to arrest the paint loss that is in progress since it will only get worse as time goes on.

If there are only a few small flakes missing, it's a judgement call as to whether or not it looks like it will get worse. If it looks like the flaking may spread, then a small spot repair might be prudent.

However, as long as you keep an intact backglass in a temperature and humidity controlled environment and get rid of the incandescent bulbs (to reduce heat), it should remain intact.

#6 31 days ago

Spot clear only if you have lifting and as stated above think it’s going to spread. Temp and humidity can wreck a backglass. A friend did a Bally Star Trek on a hot humid day and the graphics peeled off in mass. There are many stories just like his.

#7 31 days ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Spot clear only if you have lifting and as stated above think it’s going to spread. Temp and humidity can wreck a backglass. A friend did a Bally Star Trek on a hot humid day and the graphics peeled off in mass. There are many stories just like his.

Yep. I've sealed many back glasses and then did one on a humid day and I started getting messed up graphics as well. Proceed with caution.

#8 31 days ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I only seal when the weather is appropriate. Cool days with low humidity. As a result, I've never had a problem like you describe.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 134.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 1,248.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 109.99
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 26.95
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 104.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 219.99
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 218.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,999.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside