View topic image gallery

AFC0F94A-B887-4BE7-A95E-0F99EBE3FFDF (resized).jpeg
F953D2FC-0EF6-4C83-9137-8DBA9BE9C203 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
DA353C90-49ED-48F6-9CC6-DA653E25ACAD (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Recently picked up a decent Bally Atlantis. The only thing noticeably wrong is the sound. Most of the time the music does not work, sometimes cuts in and out and goes really loud. Call outs are there but no other sounds. It had the original battery with a tiny bit of corrosion on the ends so I removed it. Next to it
I’m noticing on the main board there’s a resistor that appears burnt out. I’m going to order replacement resistor, battery holder and an led kit. I just re flowed solder on all the points on the fuse board. I’m hoping the resistor is what’s causing the weird sound issues. Any insight would be appreciated

DA353C90-49ED-48F6-9CC6-DA653E25ACAD (resized).pngDA353C90-49ED-48F6-9CC6-DA653E25ACAD (resized).pngimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

I have discovered it is a 80 ohm 1 watt 10% resistor. Having a hard time finding a replacement. Anyone have any ideas ?

#3 2 years ago

eBay

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Skratcher:

I have discovered it is a 80 ohm 1 watt 10% resistor. Having a hard time finding a replacement. Anyone have any ideas ?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_Parts_Suppliers

There are a few electronics components suppliers to choose from on that list.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Skratcher:

I have discovered it is a 80 ohm 1 watt 10% resistor.

It's an 82 ohm resistor.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RMO2-82

That resistor's used in the charging circuit of the MPU boards nicad battery.
Your sound problems are unrelated.

#6 2 years ago

There's a power board in the head (small board) that has a regular IC that goes bad on it. Test the voltages coming out of it, if it's missing the -12v the amplifier will not work correctly. The chip was a little HTF but once I swapped it my sound worked fine. They added the board as Atlantis is a hybrid machine with 6803 mpu but system 11 sound board.

#7 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses.
I ordered a resistor pack from Marcos assuming the right rating resistor would be there but it’s not. But assuming it’s used to charge the nicad does it even matter if it’s bad?
After putting the board back in and powering up some of the coils are not working. In the coil test some of them or working but some aren’t. Flippers do not work, drop targets do not go up and down nor does the lift ramp.
The sound is staying at a steady volume and not distorted or going super loud anymore but still no music. I can start a game but it’s acting like a switch is locked on or something and keeps registering points and saying shoot for million(repeating)

At boot getting D1-4 (drop target) errors
Sometimes making a loud screatching sound when flashing error codes

Checking the voltages on the power board
+14VDC is at about 15.7
+5v is at 5.08
A11VAC is at 8.7
B11vac is at 9.8
230 vdc is at 209

Kinda stuck at the moment any ideas?

#8 2 years ago

slochar im not sure how to check the voltages on the ic, which pins should I check?

#9 2 years ago

looks like pin 5 is the -12 v output and pin 3 is ground. It's a LT1054.

Not sure if that's going to be bad though if you have voice I'd think they use the same amplifier? My symptom was all the sound was very distorted because of the missing negative voltage swing.

#10 2 years ago

Update. Music was just turned off in the settings. Sound worked okay for a few minutes then got loud and distorted and stuck that way . I’m just trying to figure out where there’s no power on both flipper coils, main ejects drop targets aren’t working either is uo kicker in the back of play field. Thanks

#11 2 years ago

Update. One of the connectors wasn’t plugged in, causing the flippers and coils to not work. This is no longer a problem.

Music was out but now seems to be working along with sound effects but everything is loud and distorted

#12 2 years ago

Removed the sound board and found this. Seems like someone tried to repair it in the past. Not really sure how to troubleshoot this one..

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#13 2 years ago

slochar ive got everything in the game running, sounds and music is there but distorted. Do you think changing the LT1054 will fix this? I was looking at mouser and they have a bunch but there’s many different versions, I’m not sure which one I would need

#14 2 years ago

Measure the outputs on the chip and see if any are missing you would need the same form factor I think I bought mine from digikey or jameco. Symptom was distorted sound caused by missing negative twelve volts so if you're missing the negative twelve it will likely fix it

#15 2 years ago

slochar I’m getting a good reading at -12.v on the 1054 IC . Really scratching my head now.

Update. I noticed in the manual it states about distorted sound to also check the AC ripple on the 100uf caps so I’m going to do that next or just replace them anyway

F953D2FC-0EF6-4C83-9137-8DBA9BE9C203 (resized).jpegF953D2FC-0EF6-4C83-9137-8DBA9BE9C203 (resized).jpeg

#16 2 years ago

slochar
Reaplaced caps and same issue. Moving on to replacing the IC
There seems to be many different kinds of the 1054
Will any be okay as long as it’s a 1054 CN8? Do the numbers above 1054 mean anything ?
Thanks

AFC0F94A-B887-4BE7-A95E-0F99EBE3FFDF (resized).jpegAFC0F94A-B887-4BE7-A95E-0F99EBE3FFDF (resized).jpeg
#17 2 years ago

Pretty sure the important one is the LT1054 and the cn8 is the part that doesn't matter but I do not know for sure.

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

Replaced all caps on both sound boards and still having the same issue. Sound is loud when turned all the sound way down and distorted. I’m thinking possible bad ram could be the only other thing I could try to fix. Possibly a bad resistor on the volume pot?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-atlantis-sound-issues- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.