5a (resized).jpg
5 (resized).JPG
4 (resized).JPG
2 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).JPG
1 (resized).JPG
Bonus WHEN flashing (resized).JPG

#1 10 months ago

Noob question...I've never seen these lights flashing in the tall orange cylinders. No clues on the score card information. Can anyone tell me the sequence of events that turn the left and right lights on to flashing? Thanks, Henry

Bonus WHEN flashing (resized).JPGBonus WHEN flashing (resized).JPG

#2 10 months ago

Or does it just mean the three individual '1' lights flash (as they do), then, when all three are made, the three individual '2' lights flash etc for the the '3' lights? Maybe the big cylinder lights never flash.

#3 10 months ago

Flashers could be burnt out or open/broken resistor for flashlamp.

#4 10 months ago

Thank you PinballplusMN. I will order new flash lamps. Back to my original question for when I'm ready to test, What play conditions trigger those lamps to flash? Must be someone with the game who knows when those lamps come on. Henry

#5 10 months ago

Claims on the plastic to 'bonus when flashing'. I don't remember if I've ever seen mine light myself so don't know what that might mean.

Manual doesn't really call it out either.

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Claims on the plastic to 'bonus when flashing'

Yeah, I saw that. Didn't know if that meant the numbers 1,2,3 inserts next to it, since they flash when you need to complete all three 1s, etc. So, neither of us has seen those orange cylinders light up. You'd think they do something since the manufacturer took the trouble to put them in. A mystery!

#7 10 months ago

Well, to be fair I do not recall at all if I've seen them light or not. I generally don't look too closely at rules like that.

#8 10 months ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Back to my original question for when I'm ready to test, What play conditions trigger those lamps to flash? Must be someone with the game who knows when those lamps come on. Henry

Ok...just checked my 100% working and operational Atlantis. The two side flashers flash when:

- If machine is on but no game started, all flashers on playfield and backbox go off in a timed sequence to mimic light reflecting off water waves (a very cool effect).

- If a game has started but no submarine balls are locked yet, then each time a flashing right or left side 1, 2 or 3 target is hit, then only that individual right or left flasher will flash once.

- If the top (next to sub) 1, 2 or 3 flashing target is hit (but not completing a number sequence) the two side flashers do not go off.

- If any flashing 1, 2 or 3 target is hit to complete that number sequence then both side flashers will briefly flash multiple times.

- The only other time I have seen them flash is when the third ball is locked in the sub, the two side flashers will flash once.

[Note: When multi ball is being played the two side flashers never go off, even when hitting any 1, 2 or 3.]

Hope that helps. I really like Atlantis, beautiful go to game and it's on the never ever leaving list.

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Claims on the plastic to 'bonus when flashing'.

This refers only to a bonus increase of 2,000 whenever a flashing 1, 2 or 3 is hit, nothing to do with the flashers increasing bonus.

#10 10 months ago

Thank you ManyQuarters, exactly what I needed. Neither of mine flash.

Quoted from ManyQuarters:

If any flashing 1, 2 or 3 target is hit to complete that number sequence then both side flashers will briefly flash multiple times.

=no flash on my game.

If a game has started but no submarine balls are locked yet, then each time a flashing right or left side 1, 2 or 3 target is hit, then only that individual right or left flasher will flash once.

= no flash on my game.

If machine is on but no game started, all flashers on playfield and backbox go off in a timed sequence to mimic light reflecting off water waves

= No left or right side flash on my game. (The ones in the backglass work fine.)

I substituted in one of the working flashers from the back glass and no go. I'm an EM guy and sort of lost when it comes to the boards and what would control the left and right lights. Any noob type suggestions, or I guess I can live with it if not.

#11 10 months ago

...and, if I order new bulbs for the side flashers, what do I ask for? I'm used to ordering only # 44s or 47s for my EMs

Bulb # 555? I think from the booklet. My current bulb is an LED with no number on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-polar-Bayonet-Arcade-Pinball-Machine/dp/B082M9FK18/ref=sr_1_5

#12 10 months ago

Ok hjh632 and welcome to the wonderful world of post EM pins!

I'm the opposite, had to figure out EM's after getting the hang of SS's.

- The flasher incandescent replacement bulbs are labelled 906. You can also go with several types of Led replacements but the consensus seems to be they are too bright for a flasher. Stick with 906's.

- As always go for the obvious simplest possible fixes first (Occam's razor), meaning that most of the time it's a physical / mechanical problem. Check all fuses.

- Since it's not the bulbs, turn off the machine, remove the balls, lift the hood and with good lighting and a magnifying glass carefully trace back everything (wires and grounding) from the flasher sockets to the related circuit boards in the backbox.

- Look and inspect very closely, especially for cold solder joints, shorts, unnecessary metal to metal contacts, for burnt looking spots on connectors, stray, loose, cut or hacked wires or questionable looking previous fixes and hacks (including your own recent tinkering's).

- Anything dodgy looking...fix properly first then check if that fixes the problem. Continue scrutinizing if not.

- Then look and test using a multimeter all related connectivity segments, grounds, connectors, pins, cables.

- Worry about more complicated scenarios only after thoroughly exhausting the above.

- Question: Do all playfield flashers not respond? There are flashers behind the sub and under the upper right plastic that should come on in attract mode.

#13 10 months ago

Do all playfield flashers not respond? There are flashers behind the sub and under the upper right plastic that should come on in attract mode.

In attract mode, the flasher behind the sub works, under the upper right plastic no, and of course no on the two on the sides that started all this. Maybe the simplest thing is to get some bulbs and replace the three that aren't working and see what happens. Doesn't sound like a fuse if one of them is working.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/5smd-flashers?variant=29411773120614 I'll get some of these in wedge base (906) cool white. Sound good?

or this https://www.pinballlife.com/906-bulbs-box-of-10.html

Either type sound good?

#14 10 months ago

Sounds good, get a bunch of all types of bulbs / Leds if you're into pins at all, especially the box of 10 for $3.50, can't go wrong there! There's hardly a cup of coffee out there for that!

Bally Atlantis really takes well to enhanced lighting effects, especially with the dual blackout, red multi ball factory lighting scheme. Teal playfield leds, art blades and Fathom bumper caps just transform this game into something very special!

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG5a (resized).jpg5a (resized).jpg6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG
#15 10 months ago

Impressive photos! Had not known about Fathom bumper caps.

I've order some light bulbs and will post here if they fix the flasher problem.

#16 9 months ago

Thanks all, new bulbs were the answer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-atlantis-bonus-when-flashing-question?hl=hjh632 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.