Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinPilot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I rebuilt my power supply on my Mata Hari with the usual new rectifiers, and all seemed well. Voltages were a tad high on all the checkpoints, but pretty close to spec. I notice later my displays flickering, and one blank. I check the connections and they appear good.

Deciding to start at square one, I put a multimeter on test point 2 on the power supply and BAM %#) 530 VOLTS! I checked the four in4004 diodes and the resistor that comprise this circuit on the power supply, and they all test good. How on God's green earth am I getting 530 volts? And nothing was touched from when it was within spec.

So I'm gonna throw in the towel and buy some 5volt LED displays that do away with this nasty high voltage (anybody want to buy some original displays), but I'd sure like to understand what happened here! Please educate me if you can - I hate not understanding whats happening.

#2 6 years ago

All the other TPs still read fine? Sure your ground is good? Does reading stay the same if you unplug J3 from the rectifier board?

#4 6 years ago

TP2 is connected to the 230VDC supply via a high value resistor (R3) that results in unreliable readings with cheaper digital multi-meters.
Measure the other side of resistor R3 on the rectifier board to get a more accurate reading.

#5 6 years ago

OK, I am officially cut off for the day. I had my MM set on AC, which does show 530 volts, but when I switch to DC (as I should have to begin with) I see 230 volts.

I would erase this thread out of embarrassment, but perhaps it will be a cautionary tale to a future Pinsider.

I'm still buying the LED displays

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as2518-18-strangeness-530-volts-on-tp2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.