3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jj44114
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PS-54a.jpg
    PS-54_Schem.jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Working on a centaur project that has some strange tp3 12v reading of >~32v. I believe that this game was once an import as there are 2 brown wires (on my game shoddily wrapped in tape) that seem to be absent from other pictures i’m referencing as well as other interesting holes in the bottom plate for things that were removed.

It’s there a guide where I can confirm that this game is jumped right? I checked the guides and there’s tons of info for Bally stern but not seeing similar for the class of 81.

All of the other voltages are great, and TP3 being a little high is ok, but 32v seems out of line.

Appreciate any help

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

Working on a centaur project that has some strange tp3 12v reading of >~32v

Someone had the same question a year ago, turned out to be a phantom reading on their meter:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-54-rectifier-board-12-volt-problem#post-4991879

Put a load on the 12V line between TP3 and ground - a load like a 12V incandescent lamp. Then measure if it's in spec or not.

Quoted from CraigC:

It’s there a guide where I can confirm that this game is jumped right?

The block connector with the orange wires next to the transformer are where you set the main input voltage to the transformer - here's an example of the connector from elsewhere:

PS-54a.jpgPS-54a.jpg
    PS-54_Schem.jpgPS-54_Schem.jpg

#3 3 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the info!!

All the voltage is in spec on the SDB the over voltage is triggering on the Altec MPU, which is actually under voltage. Unplugging J4 on the lamp driver gets it to boot so I think I have to re-pin connectors.

It does put off a hot plastic smell so could be the connector housings getting nice and angry.

I just wanted to make sure that I’m not dealing with hackery and that the SDB needs to regulate the hell out of the 12v

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

there are 2 brown wires (on my game shoddily wrapped in tape)

Funny thing is my Centaur also has that power transformer module (with loose brown wires and triac) from a different game.

Quoted from CraigC:

It does put off a hot plastic smell so could be the connector housings getting nice and angry.

Ouch, sounds like somethings shorted on the lamp driver board.

#5 3 years ago

That transformer is different than the usual one used on Centaur, Fathom, etc. It was used on Mr, and Mrs Pac Man. The brown wires are 115v output for the fluorescent tube in the back box. The other holes in the transformer mounting plate were for the starter and ballast for the fluorescent light.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-transformer-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.