IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider srcdube.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#822 6 years ago

Hard to tell from the photo how you have your DMM set up. However if you are seeing 60 volts you may be set to DC volts instead of AC volts. Because the signal is oscillating you will only see about half of the amplitude of an AC signal on a DC meter setting. Also check that the probes are in the correct holes on the DMM. There is usually 3 ... one common but the two other ones are for different functions. Both the switch and the leads need to be correctly set up for AC.

Also "feel" for the ribbing in the edges of wires. One outside edge should feel smooth and round, and the other outside edge will have a fine rib along it. I think they designed if for blind electricians

1 month later
#851 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

It's a high-resistance, low-current solenoid. It can stay energized indefinitely.

Similar to other relays that stay on longer like tilt relays and game over relays and coin lockout relays.

2 weeks later
#869 6 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I don't understand the reference to something about J1 pins 17,18 in the little door plug table

Looks like the table is just the wiring for the door plug connector. J1 is that connector which has its own pinout (if you had a spec for that type of connector) and it’s showing which wires go back to the other connectors. Sort of repeats what’s on the other part of the schematic from what I can see.

I think your correct in that you should be checking back to A2J2 pins 1 and 5.

If there’s no continuity someone may have wired the door plug incorrectly or it’s broken.

1 month later
#912 6 years ago
Quoted from wylcot:

Also, I feel like there's a missing rectifier on the left, right?
I should probably put one there, shouldn't I?

If it’s what I think you’re looking at and asking, the rectumfiers are in the backside of the board so they are up against the metal heat sink to dissipate heat... which is why they don’t use discretes on the top side like the repair job was.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#925 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Or just get a new one for $55 from barakandl
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

Here here!! He also put heat sinks with fins on the front I believe... much easier to deal with and more air flow to cool the diode bridges.

#930 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

What the hell kind of fuse is there in F1?

Ceramic... around the fuse wire. Helps dissipate the heat.

#934 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Looks like a much larger diameter fuse....

Definitely... probably some other application like an appliance. I often have a hard time finding fuses at a hardware store instead of an electronics store... there’s so few of them now. If it was able to force fit.. ok. But check the value to be sure it’s correct. When it’s ever replaced you’ll likely need to squeeze the clips together again.

4 months later
#1150 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Why did this dude add resistors to the digit drivers?
[quoted image]

What’s on the top side? Some of the traces look like they are going to pads that have nothing in them from the top of the board. Maybe he just put resistors on the botttom that are normally on the top if it was easier.... lots of other components or hard area to work in. If it’s right in front of the display digits that’s a hard space to work in... the display itself likely went on last in manufacturing after all the resistors are populated... hard to work on later without taking the displays off first.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
3 weeks later
#1222 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Made no difference. What would heat up and improve?

To debug temperature sensitive circuit boards we used to use a heat gun (or hair dryer) to localize the heat, and/or a spray can of cooling liquid. Start with a cool board and then blow heat on a chip to see if you can accelerate the "improve" time... or wait til it's working in its good state and use a cooling spray to bring down the temp of one part at a time until it goes bad again.

3 weeks later
#1318 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Crickets???
Bump anyone?

Check schematic. Assuming from photo it’s all the controlled lights that are on when should not be? ... see where special light is connected in relation to all the lights that are coming on... whats common to them?

Before you get to Special state, do all the controlled lights turn on when they are supposed to?

1 week later
#1335 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Harlem Globetrotters - I have the spinners dialed in really, really well. They spin so good. The problem is when hitting one of the middle spinners and it goes in the globe saucer it will stop counting up the bonus lights entirely until it finishes doing sounds etc for the globe saucer. I assume because it's also adding bonus? Is there any way to change this? I didnt know if it was a weird memory thing or if it could be changed any way in settings. When hitting the left spinner it keeps adding that even through the globe saucer stuff.

I get the same in Paragon. It processes the saucer or other stuff before it comes around and checks on the spinner again. I Don't think you can change that, it's built into the sequence that the mpu cycles around checking all the inputs from the matrix. It becomes part of the gameplay to try to keep the ball bouncing around and not going into the saucer until you're spinner in done. My spinner goes long enough that after processing the saucer it will still register a few more spinner lights.

1 month later
#1428 5 years ago

Started a separate thread for an unstable Paragon system:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-system-unstable#post-4747454

Thanks!

1 year later
#1843 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

It did not fix it. The problem might be in my scope settings.
On this photo you can see U15 pin 5, which seems to be pretty correct.
But the machine is still not booting

I don't think your scope settings would make your pin not reset

Clock actually doesn't look too bad IMHO. Unless it's not getting high enough to register as a "1". The oscillation would need to be big enough to go below a "1" level and back up again to cause it to double clock. You could try putting a high value capacitor across the power and ground of the chip (you'd need look up the chip to see which pins they are.)

Set up your scope and just manually put a cap across the two pins to see if it cleans up your signal. If it does see if the system will boot.

If you're hitting 4v or higher on the high you should be good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lemont, IL
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 169.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider srcdube.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=srcdube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.