IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralph67.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#438 7 years ago
Quoted from moparracer35:

I have a 1978 bally playboy machine someone gave me and everything works fine except one thing. It will load the ball initially but it wont reload. When a self test is run all the solenoids work great. Ground driver 4 and it reloads.Would this be a bad driver board or MPU?
Thanks

Check ball trough switch . Games shoots ball automatically at beginning of the game ,
Ball trough switch must close when ball drains before it will shoot it out again ...

1 week later
#464 7 years ago

8.5 inches, and i've only ever seen bare metal ends on these ,never painted as far as i know

2 months later
#528 7 years ago

Strikes and Spares . Note date code 7826 on battery . 26th week 1978 never replaced
I can repair these MPU's But!
The battery damage has laid waste to the lower components.
This one looks like it will be a pita.
Opinions? any secrets or hints when fixing the corrosion damage ?

20170104_170556 (resized).jpg20170104_170556 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#572 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

No, no diode installed. And it is the only controlled lamp not working. Guess I need to install I diode or get a lamp socket with one installed. What about the ground near the speaker?

Looks like the wire Yellow/ green has come off the solder tab? , Could even be a bad solder joint on the common wire ,right next to the bulb holder mounting screw( Check that using a screwdriver shorting the solder blob to the Common)
It that fails
Trace that wire colour to the lamp board connector , gently pull on the wire right at where it goes into the connector , if it lights up , the connector could need re soldering , or replacing .or even a new crimp on that wire.
If no luck trying all that ,
the Transistor or SCR that drives the lamp must be blown.
Speaker , yes mount the earth strap under one of the speaker screws.
Good luck

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

The wire is currently not soldered on. I desoldered it and tried a different socket. Is a diode needed? Where the socket mounts to the PF, it is soldered to the common wire.

Oh got you now about the loose wire , And if your sure the common has a good connection.
try looking at the connector pins on lamp board for cracks. If connectors are good , it must 95% sure it would be the SCR or transistor for that lamp
Diodes , The other sockets dont look like they have any on them , So the new socket won't need one either .
By the way what game is this EBD?

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I'll double check the common connection. Redid it at least twice to make sure already, but maybe i'll redo it again. And yes, it's a EBD

That common should be okay , if you have re done it ,
What lamp is not working?? , I have the manual here and can work out which transistor it is for you
Probably one of the smaller 5060's on the Lamp board, but this game also uses a 2nd aux lamp board to, but all those on the aux are of the bigger MCR-1060 type.
So if you can tell us which lamp it is exactly, ie 10 Target, "d" , 7 Rack etc...???

#578 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

It's the "10" insert lamp for the drops. Next to the 1-7

The '10' insert lamp , driven by Q26. which is a 2N5060.
Manual list that lamp as the '10 Target' and colours yellow/green so it must be the right one .
The connector pin is J1 pin 7 on the main Lamp board
good luck mate ...

#611 7 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Quick question. Which game was the first with computer controlled drop targets?

Stern/LAI 1979 Cosmic Princess has them. But only released in Australia and NZ. (336 made) .
Has 5 targets . 2 come up , hit them both 2x bonus,
then 3 come up , hit them all 3x bonus , then 4 , then all five come up , knock them all down for 5x bonus .
Really cool feature.
This game also had a photo unit on top , If you beat the high score , it took your photo and you got the instant photo.
But i have never seen one of these photo units ever .
image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg
This is how it looks at the start of a game , excuse the old bumper caps , they were replaced
CP SN unknown as yet P6100008 (2) (resized).JPGCP SN unknown as yet P6100008 (2) (resized).JPG
PA130045 (resized).JPGPA130045 (resized).JPG

7 months later
#760 6 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

According to the schematic ( http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1125/Bally_1979_Harlem_Globetrotters_On_Tour_Manual.pdf ) page 29, resistors 7,9,11 are all 100k but it doesn't say the wattage... are these 1/4w, 1/2w, 1w, etc.? How would I find this out

Use 100k 1/2Watt , Mount a few mm's above to board for better cooling . Do all the resistors R1,R3,R5,R7 R9 and R11 .
also 99% of these displays the connector pins are cracked , so use a desoldering tool . remove old solder and then resolder these, or install new connectors ,
these pads tend to lift if too much heat is used, so after you have soldered them all again , check the connections with a meter for continuity

1 year later
#1209 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Hey folks. I've got a weird one for you on my Future Spa. Honestly I don't know if this is normal. The whole game works, all systems check out.
I've got a situation where certain control/insert lamps, with incandescents OR a properly installed Alltek board with LEDs, will flicker when on.
I'd say it was design intention, but for example, in the words FUTURE SPA on the main lower playfield, F flickers, UTU stays solid, and RE SPA, 18k and SPECIAL flicker, 36k stays solid. Why would they be different?
I've checked voltages on the common wire, it's all consistent. Again, this happens with incandescents as well.
I've swapped the lamp board, the MPU board, or both, and get the same result. This is true in attract mode or lamp test.
Here's some more information on some of the lamps involved from the schematics, it's not a complete list but we looked for commonalities:
J1:18, SCR Q14,R14
J1:19, SCR Q12, R12
J1, SCR Q29, R29
J1:9, SCR Q27, R27
J3:26, SCR Q36, R36
J3:25, SCR Q38, R38
J3, SCR Q57, R57
J3:12, SCR Q50, R50
The only thing we found is that they come off address 0 or 1 on the IC chips.
I shot a high-speed video that shows you in slow motion the flickering for some lamps here. Remember, this happens with incandescents or LEDs with resistors:

Anyone have any thoughts on where to chase this ghost, or am I just oversensitive to something that is part of the game?

What are they doing when you go into lamp test ? They should all pulse at the same rate ,
Id look at a short on the lamp sockets or between lamp and switch lines,

I have seen something similar on a Xenon, weird pulsing on some lamps in the head box , Turned out that was solder bridges on the lamp board connectors , But seeing you have tried a new Lamp board , that's out of the question .

5 months later
#1471 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

but it's centered on the SCR
Not my board but this is what they look like.

The Notched side is the front , on the old style SCR's ( With part no's printed on it) , the other side is then the back, which is the metal side

#1477 5 years ago

you need to solder the left leg to the top track , might not be even touching by the looks of it

#1478 5 years ago

Make sure you solder both sides of the boards
those tracks look lifted , less heat , clean the solder tip often even if you think it doesn't need it , always add a little fresh solder , this will make the old grey solder flow , A few pics of one I just repaired , not the neatest , but you can see I solder both sides

good luck

DSCF2296 (resized).jpgDSCF2296 (resized).jpgDSCF2297 (resized).jpgDSCF2297 (resized).jpg

#1479 5 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Make sure you solder both sides of the boards
those tracks look lifted , less heat , clean the solder tip often even if you think it doesn't need it , always add a little fresh solder , this will make the old grey solder flow ,
good luck
A few pics of one I have been working on , not my neatest work , but you get the idea

[quoted image][quoted image]

7 months later
#1675 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

also check the power resistor.

#1676 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I would test the bridge.
You probably have a bad bridge.
I would also check the power resistor.

R2 should read 25ohms, give or take 10%

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Machine - For Sale
Crystal Lake, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralph67.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=ralph67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.