IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3108 1 year ago

Finally able to join this club with a HG.

Got a CPR PF on the way and am about to order plastics, spinner decals, and a whole hell of a lot more!

Also, if I want to use LEDs for the PF inserts to minimize the strain on a 43 year old wiring harness, do you have to use "no ghostings" LEDs? I put traditional single frosted LED bulbs, and due to the relaatively low current draw, the LEDs stay on, even when they are not supposed to.

Thoughts? I'm new to these older games, so please, be gentle as I learn : ).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3116 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

No need for non-ghosting LEDs, but you’ll need this Alltek board. I just bought one today for a Centaur I recently picked up. This will eliminate your issue.
https://allteksystems.com/collections/pinball-replacement-board-products/products/ultimate-led-lamp-driver-board
I have a thread for the two playfield swaps I did (Medusa and Fathom), and there are plenty of other threads to help you out. Good luck!

Beautiful. Thank you, both! Got a board on the way. With the CPR PF, plastics, spinner decals, and other assorted goodies on the way, this will be a good project!

1 week later
#3136 1 year ago

Ok, scratching my head here on my HG.

Purchased a brand new aftermarket Weebly lamp driver board so I can convert incads to LEDs and lighten the load on a 43 year old wiring harness.

Systematically unplugged connectors, brought original lamp board out. Plugged new Weebly board in. Turned game on, left game in attract mode and heard a new "oscillating hum" coming from the head somewhere. After about 30 seconds, smelled that terrible plastic burning aroma, and saw Q57 visibly smoking. All of this occurred in attract mode.

Turned game off right away. Checked all connectors on the board and the MPU (some of the MPU connectors will inadvertently pulled off while installing the Weebly board). Checked everything I could see. Kept my finger on Q57 and booted the game. Q57 got hot quick, so tured game off.

Baffled, I swapped boards back out with the original 43 year old Bally lamp board. Fired game up with finger on Q57. Zero problems. Q57 is room temperature in attract mode.

What gives? Did I get a DOA board?

#3138 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

What game?
Does that lamp driven by Q57 work with your factory lamp driver board? Did you make sure there isn't a short at the lamp socket driven by Q57?

It is for Harlem Globetrotters.

All good questions. Unfortunately, I am headed to bed for a 2 week assignment out in Oklahoma. Getting on a 0900 flight tomorrow morning, so it'll be until 20 June before I get back to verify.

I'll need to look at the manual/wiring schematics and determine what lamp(s) Q57 is responsible for. As far as testing for a short at the lamp socket, given that the lamp sockets use a single wire, how exactly what I test for a short? Not trying to be obtuse; I genuinely do not know the proper procedure to test for a short with a lamp socket that uses a single wire for power. Would I set my DMM to continuity check, put one lead on the wire and the other on the end of the bulb socket?

#3142 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

the common way SCR fails is to go open. I am guess the other board already burned open in the past. Is the 4k lamp working on the other board? Inspect the lamp and socket closely. Sometimes the center spring of the lamp socket can fold over onto the barrel when they start breaking and falling apart, so look inside too if nothing is obvious.

YEP! And that socket is beat all to smithereens. You can install a bulb, but the base is NOT stationary...you can take your fingers and rotate it, twist it, turn it - vs the socket being solid as a rock. I wondered why no matter how many different bulbs I put in the socket the light wasn't turning on...

Quoted from Quench:

The lamp sockets have the 5.4VDC braid wire soldered to the base and the colored control wire soldered on the lug - so there are two wires

I absolutely believe you. Unfortunately, I am out of town until 20 June, so I can't do a quick visual confirmation. I saw the colored wire on the lug, but I didn't see the braided wire. Is it similar to how DE games wire up their GI lighting? Either way, I am sure it is something I completely overlooked as the AS-2518 games are brand new territory for me and I may not know what to look for yet : ).

Where do I get a new replacement transistor for Q57 (for a Weebly board)? Barak mentioned "C106" but I don't know exactly how to look that up. Is that the same as MCR106-6 over at GPE?

#3153 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I am using surface mount SCRs and MOSFETs now, but I still put the drill holes on the board so a through hole type can be used. Here is a tip so you don't need to do any desoldering....
If you carefully cut off the two legs of the surface C106 SCR (or MOSFET), then it is electrically isolated and you can safely leave the surface mount tab soldered to the board and install the new through hole part.
https://lcsc.com/products/TRIACs_388.html?keyword=C106
https://lcsc.com/product-detail/TRIACs_KY-C106M_C2831676.html
https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/2105241634_KY-C106M_C2831676.pdf

I know we talked this over in PMs - asking here in case others have questions but don't want to ask or for posterity's sake down the road.

I am currently on assignment at Tinker AFB, so I cannot quickly reference my new Weebly lamp matrix board until I return 20 June. That being said, simply snip the legs off the CR106 Thyristor, and then install a version that uses the holes in the PCB. Am I tracking correctly?

Referencing the datasheet you provided, does pin 1 of TO-126 go in the top hole of the Weebly lamp matrix board for Q57 (in my particular case)? Is the the correct orientation for installation?

#3157 1 year ago

Does anyone know the correct part for the backbox lock? I got the correct coin door lock, but I have a drilled out backbox lock on Harlem Globetrotters, and I do not know which lock to get.

Figured I'd ask here.

#3160 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

[quoted image]

Thank you. What document did that come from so I can get one and reduce silly questions?

#3162 1 year ago

All right - did some searching for the stationary targets on Harlem. It is the (5) red stationary targets to the far left of the playfield. Part #: ase-2911-31, #17 in the referenced photo below:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I noticed that #18 looks very similar to what I am looking for; however, it has a different part #.

Again, I am still on temporary assignment in Oklahoma, so I cannot lift my PF and look until I get home - hence, all my questions this last week or two. Is there a cross-referenced part for ASE-2911-31? If it involves soldering or adding components like a diode or something to an stand-up target, no problem, very handy with that kind of work.

Thanks!

#3164 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Bally part #
ASE-2911-3 == round red target front mount "L" bracket,
-------------- complete assembly with diode.
ASE-2911-31 == round red target back mount "L" bracket,
-------------- complete assembly with diode.

Copy, so they're practically identical. I appreciate it. I need to replace at least 2 or 3 on my game, and I can't wait to get home and start working on this game.

Thank you for your help!

Added 22 months ago:

Whoops. Just saw the difference - front vs back mounted. Thanks for pointing that out!

Added 22 months ago:

Whoops. Just saw the difference - front vs back mounted. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 week later
#3165 1 year ago

Work continues on Harlem Globetrotters. Got a fair number of the playfield lights working, installed the new backbox lock, and got all new trim for the backglass installed!

Noted my top left flipper stopped working and saw this thick yellow wire hanging loosely. I am sure this is the cause of the top left flipper not responding; however, I am hesitant to take a guess on which coil lug it is normally installed on. I highlighted the wire with a red rectangle to help make it more identifiable:

I checked the wiring schematics in the HG manual, but I didn't see anything in the manual that would help me deduce where this wire is supposed to go.

Anybody willing to look under their HG PF and take a quick look for me? Or if someone knows where this wire should be re-soldered to, I'd be very appreciative!

#3169 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The wire "Brown" goes to the top flipper coil. +43Volts... Cathode side of the flipper coil
The cathode is the silver band side of the diode.

I appreciate your help. I was tired and totally didn't realize I put "yellow" - you're right - definitely a brown wire.

There are two lugs with diodes (picture provided below). Does it go to the middle lug (in red) or the bottom lug (in blue)?

#3170 1 year ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Can't make out your diodes but no yellow wire at the flippers. Yellow is a solenoid wire...any other coil not working? Is this one of the two yellows on the under playfield fuse block? Or maybe the left sling kicker coil?
Here's the flipper area:
[quoted image]
Edit- your diode orientations look okay. You didn’t change anything before it stopped working?

I goofed in my original description: it is a brown wire, which is a constant 43V. All non-flipper solenoids work.

Currently awaiting feedback to my question in my previous post as there are two diodes on the flipper coil, and I do not know which lug to re-solder the loose wire to (lug in red box or lug in blue box).

Definitely don't want to flip a coin and get this wrong...!

#3172 1 year ago

I love this topic. So many helpful people here. I'm donating and making my Pinside heart red again just for this topic alone.

Thank you for being so patient with me. I feel like when I got my Johnny Mnemonic in 2012 all over again. I'm going to have lots more questions in the future...I promise I'm trying with the game-specific manual and parts manual!

#3173 1 year ago

All right, got the upper left flipper flipping again - thanks guys!

Now, back to the very original problem with this game, the 4k bonus light not firing up.

For those who remember, I installed a Weebly board, and unbeknowest to me, I had a short in the game, which burnt up Q57, a CR106 thyristor. I suspect the short was the 4k bulb socket, as it was all sorts of thrashed. I replaced the light socket for the 4k bonus light, and then began to work on the Weebly board.

I clipped the cathode and gate legs like barakandl instructed. Unfortunately, the thyristor had been so burnt to a crisp when I did this, the old thyristor came right off the board. I'm betting that with the surface mounted metal tab side now gone, the thyristor I installed now the is contending with an "open" circuit for the anode leg. Pictures attached:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Any ideas what I should do now? Better to send the board back and let BarakandI fix it right, or should I try some DIY stuff first?

#3174 1 year ago

N/M! Ran a jumper wire from the anode leg to pin #1 and it works perfectly. That's that : )

#3178 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

[quoted image]
that SCR burnt pretty good. I would scrape off the solder mask at both ends of that severed trace. Take a resistor snipped off lead or whatever and solder a small bridge over the burned area.
I will fix it if you want to send it back. Sorry I didn't think a trace vaporized.

Quick update for everyone on HG: the game had multiple bad sockets leading to at least replacement of 2 thyistors. I installed new thyristors on the Weebly board, and the game finally has all lights functional!!! For the previously documented thyristor repair, I ran an 18 gauge wire on the back of the PCB from the anode leg to pin #1 of the J3 connector.

Wanted to make sure this is known: these repairs had zero to do with introducing the Weebly board to the game. Pre-existing shorts caused all this trouble. @barakandi makes fantastic products!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=npo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.