IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2561 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I considered it and may do so yet. I'm still in parts collecting phase so have time.

Mantis offers it for sale. I think it’s the same size.

https://mantispinball.com/product/bally-playfield-hangers-older-bally/

#2566 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

They are unique, different from other Ballys due to dropped playfield. I'll measure after work today.

Ah, my bad. Good luck finding what you need!

1 week later
#2589 2 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

Using the "upside down canned air" trick, U4 is the culprit. I'm going to pull the chip once I get some Deoxit and see if that fixes it. Else, I guess I'll be ordering a new rom from Action Pinball.

Look at you! Fixing games like it’s your job.

1 month later
#2610 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Question for the group: I'm replacing a ratty old spliced power cable in a Mata Hari. The new cable has White / Green / Black wires. The old cable has Black (round sheath) / Green / Black (flat sheath) wires.
Which should correspond to the White wire on the new cable....the round or flat sheathed black wire on the old cable?[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#2618 2 years ago

Head = 10 1/8” from front to back at the top

Front to back on bottom = 9”

Front trim to rear edge side panel (stencil area) = 6.75”

Height = 27 5/8”

Width = 30 1/4”

1 month later
#2666 2 years ago

Hey, any idea where I can purchase the shielded ground braid?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2668 2 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Might be easiest to buy ground braid and toss some heat shrink tubing around it. Would be more secure unless you're going for exact inside the cab look.

I thought about using heat shrink, but I was trying to keep the factory look. I’m having a hard time finding shielded ground braid anywhere, so I’ll probably just have to make some.

#2670 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Are you missing them completely or are they just dirty/beat up? Running them through a dishwasher cycle makes them almost brand new looking. If you want to fashion your own:
Ground Straps (various lengths):
https://www.galco.com/shop/Ground-Straps-Grounding
Yellow Heat Shrink Tubing:
https://www.showmecables.com/81-163-100-yl?gclid=CjwKCAjw0qOIBhBhEiwAyvVcfwRAoNuulRkHX4Hnxlt4FRyf3WhzZniC3ego93_5Hlz2BNhIsDhc1hoChCAQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the links!

Some of the existing wires are stripped, and some are just gross. I was just going to replace it if it was cheap or easy.

I just purchased some shielded ground braid from Third Coast. Not quite factory, but does the trick.

5 months later
#2901 2 years ago

Is there a way to connect an external powered subwoofer? I have a Pinball Pro cabinet sub using the NB2 board on Medusa and Fathom running custom tunes. The cabinet sub is much better than stock, but I wouldn't mind the added umpf of an external sub.

I tried connecting the external sub to the internal sub with wire and alligator clips, and that didn't work. Is there a more elegant solution?

2 months later
#3025 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone fool about with a subwoofer and mid-range speaker on a Bally or Stern game?

I tried to connect an external sub with alligator clips, epic fail. I did purchase a Pinball Pro cabinet sub and it’s been great. I have the NB2 board, so I needed a decent speaker to work with the custom music.

https://pinballpro.net/shop/early-bally-williams-games-subwoofer/

1 month later
#3112 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Finally able to join this club with a HG.
Got a CPR PF on the way and am about to order plastics, spinner decals, and a whole hell of a lot more!
Also, if I want to use LEDs for the PF inserts to minimize the strain on a 43 year old wiring harness, do you have to use "no ghostings" LEDs? I put traditional single frosted LED bulbs, and due to the relaatively low current draw, the LEDs stay on, even when they are not supposed to.
Thoughts? I'm new to these older games, so please, be gentle as I learn : ).
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No need for non-ghosting LEDs, but you’ll need this Alltek board. I just bought one today for a Centaur I recently picked up. This will eliminate your issue.

https://allteksystems.com/collections/pinball-replacement-board-products/products/ultimate-led-lamp-driver-board

I have a thread for the two playfield swaps I did (Medusa and Fathom), and there are plenty of other threads to help you out. Good luck!

#3114 1 year ago

Yeah, good call. There are some cheaper options as well on pinballlife. Whatever you use, you’ll need a new board or some type of board adapter.

1 month later
#3183 1 year ago

Issue: Medusa is blowing the 20 amp fuse on the power module

The 20 amp handles controlled inserts, so the likely source is a short somewhere. However, after some troubleshooting, I have it narrowed down to the coin door. This is where it gets weird.

If I close the coin door all the way, the fuse pops. If I only close it half way, the game runs flawlessly. So, the likely culprit is in/around the coin door.

But for the life of me, I can’t find the location of the short. Even disconnecting the plug at the coin door (no coin lights, tilt, game start) results in the same thing. Yes, I have lighted flipper buttons, but disconnecting those results in the same thing.

Here’s some pictures. I did a playfield swap and restored the cabinet. New everything, so I’m hoping someone may have an idea of what I missed. All the grounding cables were replaced because the old ones were rusted through.

77E99A6F-B133-4A7C-A4AB-F53A57CDEBF0 (resized).jpeg77E99A6F-B133-4A7C-A4AB-F53A57CDEBF0 (resized).jpeg9D7426F9-1A29-42E9-A7AA-EA365E0FE500 (resized).jpeg9D7426F9-1A29-42E9-A7AA-EA365E0FE500 (resized).jpegA6E080E8-052B-4F62-B750-93D864CDC505 (resized).jpegA6E080E8-052B-4F62-B750-93D864CDC505 (resized).jpegD6719B28-2288-4C9D-A80B-ABDB3E1E295B (resized).jpegD6719B28-2288-4C9D-A80B-ABDB3E1E295B (resized).jpegF28728AA-989A-4AF5-8F9F-551BD54E6C0D (resized).jpegF28728AA-989A-4AF5-8F9F-551BD54E6C0D (resized).jpeg
#3185 1 year ago
Quoted from emsrph:

As a test…lift the playfield up, close the coin door. Fuse still pops?
Thinking maybe something on the coin door when closed is touching something under the playfield?

Yes, I’ve lifted the playfield. Same thing. As I said, I agree that something is touching something, which is why I’m pulling my hair out. I just can’t find it.

If there’s another plausible reason, I can dig into that. If not, then I’ll keep poking around.

#3188 1 year ago

Culprit? I failed to put foam behind the hangers. If there was any contact, would that cause a short?

View from up top:

Edit: I added foam behind the hangers. Checked the coin bulbs. Same thing.

#3190 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

The controlled insert lamp power doesn't go to the cabinet/front door. You sure it's not the GI fuse blowing?
You have the coin chute lamp sockets wire backwards. If the socket tab with the yellow-black wire is not isolated from the base you are shorting G.I power to the coin door frame which gets grounded.

It’s definitely not the GI. When the 20 amp blows on F1, the inserts go dark. GI remains on.

I’ll take a look at the coin chute wires, thanks. Even with the plug disconnected, though, the 20 amp blows when the door is closed. I’m convinced it’s a controlled lamp grounding on *something*. When the fuse pops, there’s a light electrical smell. It’s just weird that this happens in that 1/4” space of closing the coin door.

#3192 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Make the room dark. When the short happens as you close the door you should see a spark and look for the smoke where the smell is coming from.

I’ll definitely try it (I’ll try anything at this point). But because the playfield blocks the view, and the coin door is closed, I may have a hard time seeing the spark. I’ve even sniffed each connection (no pictures of that, fortunately).

Now that I think about it, I could set my phone inside the game to record what’s going on. Great idea!

#3194 1 year ago
Quoted from supermoot:

do it with the playfield up so you can see

The fuse doesn’t pop with the playfield up. The fuse pops with the playfield down and the coin door closed all the way.

#3195 1 year ago

Found it! I set the phone inside the coin box, the fuse blew right away. I watched the video, and sure enough, a tiny spot of smoke.

The coin door was grounding against the controlled lamp wire.

Thanks all!

#3197 1 year ago
Quoted from steve-o:

Nice detective work.

Ha, thanks. Here’s the video if you’re curious. Look for the smoke toward the bottom right.

#3201 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

Any idea how the wire inside that harness got exposed like that??

No idea. There were four frayed wires right against the coin chute. I relocated the guide about an inch back and wrapped the bad wires. I guess crazy stuff like that happens with any cabinet swap.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the coin chute part against the wires is semi-sharp, almost a hook. It’s possible that months of lifting the playfield to work on stuff frayed the wires over time like a pendulum. That’s why the issue was intermittent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 29.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 959.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=mudflaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.