IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#875 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone happen to know the approximate note of each of the chimes used in the SS Bally games? In particular the 4 chimes used in Black Jack. I'm working on a patch that needs to add a couple new tunes and how the chimes match up with a note would help.
I have more details on the thread about Black Jack:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-jack-1977-solid-state-club
Robert

Could you flick the chime while holding a guitar tuner next to it? That should pick up the note.

1 week later
#880 6 years ago

I had a friend stop by that has a music background and we found a sequence that sounds good. With that I was able to finish making the changes to the Black Jack code that I wanted. Added a couple new tunes and now if the dealer wins you lose points. Makes the game a lot more interesting!

that's awesome! Black Jack is on my wish list, interesting to hear about the mods to the code you are making. Good luck with it!

1 month later
#958 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

A year or two ago I tried to get ADT to make me some for private use and I tried to convince them there is a market for these. But they didn't seem overly interested. I sent them the attached slideshow. MOQ per color/type was 1000 pieces but they wouldn't make me any samples to ensure they were going to get it right first time. In the end I just modified some myself. Problem is some LEDs are full of glue in the bayonet and aren't possible to pull apart without damaging them.

Brilliant! I wish I saw this before I soldered about 40 sockets.

16632A3B-5CD7-49AA-899F-58517B8E1B14 (resized).jpeg16632A3B-5CD7-49AA-899F-58517B8E1B14 (resized).jpeg

#988 5 years ago

So for leds all you need to do is add a 470 ohm resistor across the leads of each socket where an LED will be installed? Is that the same for both the Bally and early Stern?
If so that is a nice easy to install upgrade.

I believe it’ll work for both Bally and Stern but can’t say from experience. I used 470ohm 1/4 watt resistors Incase you want to try it out.

3 years later
#2760 2 years ago

On my Mata Hari, my game wouldnt boot, I swapped the board for a new alltek.
Game works.

On the old board I replaced c23 and c26 and the high voltage regulator.
I swap the solenoids boards and the machine boots now..... but the coils arent firing. No opening melody and nothing when pushing start. Game starts but no coils. Almost like the relay on the solenoid board isnt engaging during boot up.

Put the alltek back and game is fine.

What am I missing here?

#2762 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

Did you already resolder the connector pins?

Yeah I was just double checking all of the pins to make sure they were good.

I just swapped again and with the alltek you hear the relay on the board click but it’s not doing that on the original now.
Just to add some clues.

3 weeks later
#2793 2 years ago

Audio question for the gang:
After reassembling my xenon I seemed to have lost volume. It’s about half as loud as before.
I thought it was because of the replacement speakers so I swapped the originals.
I tried adjusting the 1k pot on the board to see if I might have lowered the volume there by accident but all that did is made things sound worse.

I changed the volume pot on the board and now that adjusts smoothly but there’s no improvement. The pot in the coin door is new as well.

Where should I start on trouble shooting low volume? Any thing I should measure or consider replacing?

#2795 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Is your sound quality fine, just low? If so it implies the amplifier circuit is the issue. Are all board voltages what they should be?

Yeah sounds fine, its just low. I'll double check the voltages. The amp looks to be a replacement from before I got the game. Im going to double check the solder points anywhere a trace leads to and from the amp.

Thanks

#2796 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Yeah sounds fine, its just low. I'll double check the voltages. The amp looks to be a replacement from before I got the game. Im going to double check the solder points anywhere a trace leads to and from the amp.
Thanks

Update on voltages
TP1 = 15.4 DC 33 AC (schematic says 11.9DC 0.1 AC)
TP2 = 4.9 DC = OK
TP3 = 0.11 DC 0.01 AC (not sure what it should be, looks like it’s ground but when I do a continuity test on anything grounded the meter makes a distorted pulsating sound, only on TP3 no where else in the game)
TP4 = bounces between 0.19 to 0.33 DC (schematics say 2.5 DC with sound I tested during game)
TP5 = 2.5 DC = OK
TP6 = .33 AC = OK

Also during attract I get a high frequency sound when the high score is displayed
Just a quick EEEEEP ———— EEEEEP ———— EEEEEP as the displays change from last game to high score.

#2797 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Update on voltages
TP2 = 4.9 DC = OK
TP3 = 0.11 DC 0.01 AC (not sure what it should be, looks like it’s ground but when I do a continuity test on anything grounded the meter makes a distorted pulsating sound, only on TP3 no where else in the game)
TP4 = bounces between 0.19 to 0.33 DC (schematics say 2.5 DC with sound I tested during game)
TP5 = 2.5 DC = OK
TP6 = .33 AC = OK
Also during attract I get a high frequency sound when the high score is displayed
Just a quick EEEEEP ———— EEEEEP ———— EEEEEP as the displays change from last game to high score.

Also when I removed the vocal board my ground tests normal and I get the correct voltage on TP4.
TP1 is still testing high.
Plug the vocal board back in and I get wonky reads and a funky ground.
I’m ordering the cap kits for both boards for good measure but it seems like there’s a grounding issue on the vocal board. Any thoughts?

#2809 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Audio question for the gang:
After reassembling my xenon I seemed to have lost volume. It’s about half as loud as before.
I thought it was because of the replacement speakers so I swapped the originals.
I tried adjusting the 1k pot on the board to see if I might have lowered the volume there by accident but all that did is made things sound worse.
I changed the volume pot on the board and now that adjusts smoothly but there’s no improvement. The pot in the coin door is new as well.
Where should I start on trouble shooting low volume? Any thing I should measure or consider replacing?

Quoted from mrm_4:

Update on voltages
TP2 = 4.9 DC = OK
TP5 = 2.5 DC = OK
TP6 = .33 AC = OK

Quoted from mrm_4:

Also when I removed the vocal board my ground tests normal and I get the correct voltage on TP4.
TP1 is still testing high.
Plug the vocal board back in and I get wonky reads and a funky ground.
I’m ordering the cap kits for both boards for good measure but it seems like there’s a grounding issue on the vocal board. Any thoughts?

Just wanted to circle back about this to see if anyone has a suggestion. Im more interested in the proper way to track this down than just shot gunning things if anyone is willing to help I appreciate it.

#2811 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I assume you have already reflowed the solder on the board pin connectors? Then install the caps you have ordered. Do you have an oscilloscope?

Pins are reflowed, and I cleaned up some previous repairs to make sure there wasnt any solder bridges. The caps are on order. I do have a hand me down oscilloscope and I also have a probe.

The caps havent come in yet. I plan on recapping the vocal board first to see if it changes anything then recapping the main sound board.

Before hand I think it would go a long way to test something and say "aha! its this little guy right here causing the issue!" Im just not that experienced yet. Or know a proper way to test with a multimeter other than measuring voltages.

#2812 2 years ago

Replaced all caps on the vocal board and main sound board and also replaced the voltage regulator on the vocal board. No difference. I’m measuring 16 volts on all my test points in the game that is supposed to be 12 DC. Is this normal? And why do I get a whine for the duration the high score is displayed? This constant EEEEEEEE WHOMMMMMMM EEEEEEEEE WHOMMMMMMM is driving me nuts.

1 month later
#2862 2 years ago

How has someone in the hobby not reproduced those yet? Is the design that unique? I’d try it but I don’t have the means, but I know several of us in the hobby work with metals, what’s the story?

#2865 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I think it's one of those items of little interest.
How many would a person sell? I mean my Bally Star trek probably has like a dozen and a half if I wanted to replace them all. Granted most early solid state ballys probably used them but how many would you really sell in a given year.
I suspect these were die punched or something; again - the actual manufacturing may be lost to time.
I have considered trying to repro them; but honestly, just not sure how they were made - what tool was used to install them; and how well they'd actually sell long term.

Yeah I guess
I know I needed them for my Firepower resto. Seems a ton of Bally and Williams games had’m
I think they’re one of those things that if they were available they’d probably sell out all the time.

3 months later
#3036 1 year ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Has anyone assembled a Wolffpac display?
What do you think?

Love them. Easy to do also.

2 weeks later
#3085 1 year ago

That looks clean! Mata Hari or Star Trek?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 29.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.